Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Repro Muffler Hanger (C253R) Install Help
Posted by: zfitch ()
Date: January 23, 2023 09:39AM

In the middle of wrapping up an exhaust system overhaul project. Wanted to replace the old (non-stock?) muffler hanger, see first 2 pics, with a new repro one I got from Clark's.

Needing help now in figuring out how to install the new one - particularly where does this (circled in red) attach to and how do I access that bolt? See pic below for reference. TIA for the assistance!

Existing Muffler Hanger (non-stock?)

Repro Muffler Hanger (C253R)

Zachary (Zach) Fitch
Decatur, GA
Member: CORSA National, Corvair Atlanta
67 Monza 110 HP - Powerglide; Current Color: Sierra Fawn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Repro Muffler Hanger (C253R) Install Help
Posted by: Wills69 ()
Date: January 23, 2023 09:51AM

Zach,

The bolt hole you circled in red goes over a head stud in the engine compartment. Probably the same stud holding the ignition coil on the right side.

Will
Grayslake IL

Date: January 23, 2023 09:54AM

Thanks Will. How would I access that? Still relatively new to Corvairs.

I tried taking off the valve cover, thinking it was directly behind the cover. However, that wasn't the case.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: January 23, 2023 09:55AM

The upper bolt is hiding! It is a stud. You can get to the nut, but removing the stud is harder. It is above the sheetmetal that is above the hanger in the photos. Take a look, 1/2" hex size nut directly above the one you can see in the photos.

Since I live where rust removes most of the original hanger, I can usually get it off with the nut loose, not removed.grinning smiley Then I snip a snip a 5/16" piece out of the thinnest area of the upper bolt hole shown in the red circle. I leave the thick part to the left of the hole, as that has to be held by the stud to keep the muffler supported (doing a vector force analysis Ha!winking smiley) when the upper nut is tight. West coast people ignore this, as the hanger will not come off with the upper stud in place.grinning smiley

Yes, the stud typically holds the ignition coil on. Not on AC cars and others with the coil mounted on the rear body panel.

To get the hanger over the stud means removing the sheetmetal in that area. Hence my wiggle jiggle to get old one off, breaking it at the stud and modifying the new one to install.

Hmm, thinking about it, the nut is maybe 9/16" hex. I'm not next to an engine right now.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2023 10:01AM by Frank DuVal.

Posted by: Slaw31 ()
Date: January 23, 2023 10:12AM

So my Clark repros are tearing on me. I am going back to the tire square haha.

Date: January 23, 2023 11:17AM

So essentially, to remove the hanger completely without the “wiggle jiggle” (haha) method, I’ll have to only remove the sheet metal near the coil to access the nut and stud holding the top (circled in red) in place? If so, how tough of a job is removing the sheet metal and accessing the stud?

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: January 23, 2023 01:06PM

If it were me and it was at time, just drill the upper rivets and use the new lower portion.

[aax-us-iad.amazon.com]

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: January 23, 2023 01:34PM

Remove the side shroud by pulling loose the body seal and the bolts. There is a slot for it so the stud is not a problem just go straight out the side. In your picture the hanger is on top of the lower air door so that will be ok. The one I can't remember is the end shroud in front of the dist, does it go on top of the hanger or the hanger on top of the shroud. If you have an assy manual it will show how it goes. This to me is like the early engine seal to body retainers. There are a lot of ways to do it quicker but the right way doesn't take that much longer and it will be done right.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Date: January 23, 2023 01:35PM

J.O - Reading your response/advice really made me say out loud, "Wow... that's a good idea - why didn't I think of that to begin with?" haha. I think I'm going to go that route. The only reason why I bought a new one was to use the stainless steel strap to ensure the muffler was secure.

Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions!

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: January 23, 2023 05:26PM

I have a stud remover that works very slick for this operation.
Take the coil off,
Use the stud remover, (remove the stud)
Slide the hangar up into place and line up the hole for the stud,
double nut the stud and run it back in. (My stud remover will also install the stud)
install the coil
attach the muffler strap
done(?)

I like J.O's idea as well.

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: January 24, 2023 06:54AM

Also, try double nutting the stud and see if it comes out. I'm not sure I tried that years ago. Check threads, it might be SAE (aka fine thread).

"Run the two nuts onto the thread until the stud is sticking out of the second nut; tighten the two nuts against each other (two spanners in opposite directions) until they are locked, then, using the first nut, you should be able to unscrew the stud" from a Mini forum.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: gerg ()
Date: January 25, 2023 04:28AM

I have done this several times with the double nut method to remove the stud. With patience you should be able to slide the hanger into place and reinstall the stud.

gerg
Monroe, LA

Current cars and other fun stuff -> [gregblakeney.smugmug.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.