Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Cleaning out FC box frame sections.
Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: January 18, 2023 09:51AM

This is a question that may have been covered before but I could not find it.

Background: I am working on a customer's rampside that has what I would call terminal rust in the frame rails over the rear axles and farther back.

I am restoring a 61 rampside that from all investigations I've done so far my truck only has superficial rust (Floor and a couple of minor areas on the body).

Question: Is there a way to clean out the box sections of the frame? Especially from over the axles to the back of the truck? I haven't looked carefully but perhaps someone out there has done this. Information would be appreciated.

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cleaning out FC box frame sections.
Posted by: Tramp61 ()
Date: January 18, 2023 01:05PM

No answer for you Paul, but I’m also interested and will follow closely. I have not seen any rust on mine, but would like to look inside and know for sure as well. Just getting everything out from underneath on the back end of mine. I will look closely, and try to find a way to do what you are asking.

Craig T
Central NY
1961 Tramp (truck with a ramp)

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 18, 2023 01:19PM

"Terminal Rust" sounds like it's time to do some cutting and welding.
Cleaning it out should be fairly easy once it is cut open to replace the Terminal portions.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: January 18, 2023 01:34PM

I want to clean mine out BEFORE it gets terminal (like the one I'm working on for my customer). I'm not going to fix his. I don't have those skills.

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 18, 2023 01:51PM

Ah, got it. thumbs up

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: January 19, 2023 11:34AM

Mine had nearly no to no rust. What I did was use a long nozzle and high pressure air to blow out the frame. A few raps with a hammer to clear anything stuck in there. Then I soaked the inside with Steel-Coat rust converter by tumbling the
box frame sections. Unfortunately the Steel-Coat is no longer available because we are saving the world!!!
After the converter dried I did the same treatment with Red Oxide rust inhibiting primer.
I do not use POR-15 as a practice. It's thick and makes a burning mess if or when welding later. just my choice.
I hope we're talking about the same box frame!!!!

Corventure Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2023 11:35AM by corventure Dave.

Date: January 19, 2023 11:43AM

Hi Dave. Yes, the sections that go over the rear axle and to the rear of the truck. Did you have the truck on a rotisserie to "tumble the box frame sections"?

Thanks very much!

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: January 20, 2023 09:39AM

I'm not familiar with the access points on the FC. However, on other cars if I can get a wire through from one access point to the other I affix some kind of brush and then with a helper pull it back and forth. I've also used reduce size tubing taped to the shop vac hose to get in and remove smaller particles.

I have used POR-15 inside these types of areas. Ideally they are washed with an alkaline cleaner, treated with phosphoric acid, rinsed and thoroughly dried (as in forced air and a wait of number of days). It MUST be dry! There is no way to get around the flash rust. I use a similar brush method listed above to apply the phosphoric acid and POR-15. It is messy and takes a number of days to accomplish.

Those "scope" cameras are pretty cheap and it might be of value to you to buy or borrow one. The image quality isn't great but it can be helpful. If the vehicle has gone nearly 60 years and shows little rust it will likely last the rest of your lifetime.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***'61 Lakewood, a "Freebie" in hibernation for 27 years - In the process of applying CPR.***

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: January 21, 2023 10:36AM

I'm a hand tumble guy! smiling bouncing smiley

Corventure Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.