Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Crashed 67 at Copart auction ending today
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: January 21, 2023 11:42AM

wittsend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What doesn't make sense is Hagerty putting YOUR car up for auction..., the car you want to keep. I can't see how they had the authority to do that (intent to sell a car they didn't own) and then apparently back out of a completed auction transaction (again a questionable action) unless they had a ridiculous reserve with the intended to never sell in the first place (yet again a questionable act). I understand WHY they would do that but find the method lacking ethic.
>
> I'm not contesting what the insurance company told you, it just seems their actions were very questionable in the way they went about giving you what you wanted. Glad it all worked out favorably for you in the end. I hear a lot of
CoPart horror stories. Maybe these types of practices are part of the reason why.

I believe that your post needs some clarification. It appears to me that you are making a lot of assumptions that I have found no comments about in this thread, specifically
1) that the insurance company is Hagerty,
2) the insurance company took the car to auction prior to having ownership of the car
3) then apparently back out of a completed auction transaction

Could you please explain how you can make all these assertions as to this specific CoPart auction for a 67 Corvair as described in the first post of this thread?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: January 21, 2023 12:21PM

junkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I believe that your post needs some clarification. It appears to me that you are making a lot of assumptions that I have found no comments about in this thread, specifically
> 1) that the insurance company is Hagerty,
> 2) the insurance company took the car to auction prior to having ownership of the car
> 3) then apparently back out of a completed auction transaction
>
> Could you please explain how you can make all these assertions as to this specific CoPart auction for a 67 Corvair as described in the first post of this thread?

Junkman I would 100% absolutely agree with you. Was there not a post in this thread (or a link to another CC forum thread) about someone else's car (not the direct subject car here) that posted about his dealing with Hagery and the process they used to value and then allow him to keep the car?

Frankly I'm concern because I've been dealing with a bit of vertigo (Dr. thinks it is a middle ear infection) but even there I can't believe I would just conjure up a story like that. And, no, it wasn't medication because I had not yet seen the Dr. when I made the post.

I know I read it here somewhere here on the CC Forum the other day. Again, the car was not the direct subject car of this thread, but the posting took a slight detour, regarded someone's Corvair that was in an accident, Hagery was the insurer and there was (to me) a questionable process they used to value the car. Please, someone else tell me you saw it too (even if it was in another thread and I confused the two)!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***'61 Lakewood, a "Freebie" in hibernation for 27 years - In the process of applying CPR.***

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: January 21, 2023 12:56PM

Junkman, wittsend was responding to a post that was made INSIDE THIS THREAD which has mysteriously disappeared because I certainly recall reading it myself.

Someone had posted their experience with Hagerty, specifically how Hagerty determined the value of his Corvair by submitting it for auction, etc.

The post that mysteriously disappeared is also why Wagon Master made his post:
"So you didn't have an agreed value policy with Hagerty"

The bottom line is that wittsend was NOT commenting on the Copart car.

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
Heart of Georgia Corvair Club Webmaster
Springfest Webmaster

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: January 21, 2023 01:49PM

Thank you Dean. For a minute there I thought I was losing my mind when I couldn't find the post!

And, yes I did see Wagon Master's post and thought it had relevance but didn't want to drag him into this. There was another post that showed ***edit****, not sure if that is related or not.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***'61 Lakewood, a "Freebie" in hibernation for 27 years - In the process of applying CPR.***

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: January 21, 2023 02:10PM

Hello all: I will confess it was me that wrote a short and very abreviated note about my experience of wanting to keep my car after an accident and how it was handled. I did not expect someone of accusing Hagerty of questionable practices and I didn't want to spend time answering questions about my coverage. I asked Matt to remove my post thinking the matter would be dropped but some of you won't do that. Now I am going to spend more of my time here instead of working explaining the circumstances. Afterward I hope this is finished.

When my Corsa cpe was rearended several years ago I had it towed to the shop. I immediately called Hagerty to advise them of the accident. There was no doubt the car would be a total loss. Hagerty said that IF I had issues with the at fault insurance company that I could call Hagerty for help.

When the other insurance called me one of the things I stated was that I wanted to keep the car period. They called me back in a couple of days and offered $3000.00 less $2-300 because I wanted the car. I told them that amount was way short of the insured value of the car. (I hope this answered wagonmasters question)

When the other company didn't budge from their offer I called hagerty. They sent an appraiser to the shop and he took LOTS of pictures of the car both inside and out and both damaged and undamaged areas.

HE (the appraiser) told me the pics would be posted somewhere and he didn't say where and I didn't care. He said the high bid after 7 days would be what Hagerty would use as a value for the wreck. He also said that I still would have a choice of either keeping the car and having that amount deducted from the insured value (see wagonmaster there it is again) OR turning the wreck over to Hagerty to be sold for salvage. Again I did not ask the website whatever or anything so I have NO idea what it was. It was NOT offering the car for auction at that time. It was to determine a value of the wrecked car!!!

After the 7 day period a very short time passed before the offending insurance company called me and said they were meeting Hagerty subragation demand and a check was in the mail. Several days later the check was in my hands for the insured valvue less the salvage amount.

Again the reason I did the inital post was because of posts wondering about the worth of the car on Copart and whether the car could be kept or not etc. So to wittsend NOPE you actually did read what you thought you read that then disappeared.

I apologize to everyone for my well meant intentions that went badly awry.

EDIT for one last remark: Hagerty helped me and did NOTHING wrong.
again they were proving value of the car NOT selling then backing out on the deal. If Hagerty had not stepped up I would have had to probably take the other inssurance company to court in order to settle.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2023 02:17PM by steve c goodman.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: January 21, 2023 02:51PM

Now this all makes more sense to me. When a car is totaled, the insurance adjuster usually makes a guess as to the salvage value. If you choose to keep the car, they will deduct this amount from the value of the car, and give you a check for the difference. If you chose not to keep the car, the insurance will give you additional money for sales tax, and title/registration fees.
About a year ago, Hagerty started to issue an endorsement to the policy for each individual car called "Cherished Value", where they paid the full amount of the car's agreed value and you got to keep the car and the insurance proceeds. I have this coverage on one of my cars because to me it is worth keeping. When and insurance company places a car for sale at CoPart, they pay about $350 in fees to process the car for sale. They also collect a fee from the bidder and have a premium charge on top of the bid. I am going to be adding "Cherished Value" to my other cars, because I would want to keep them should I have an insured loss.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: January 21, 2023 04:30PM

A couple of years ago my cherished 1960 sedan suffered an engine fire. Hagerty settled and paid up right away. They met all of their obligations. However, I made a few mistakes. One is I did not keep track of the current market value of my car and raise the agreed value when the market moved. The other mistake I made was not paying a little bit more each year for the cherished salvage rider. Had I done that I would have been reimbursed the full value of my policy and the salvage/wreck was mine to keep. There would not be a discussion as to the value of the salvage because it would be mine no matter what. I suggest if you have a car in your collection that is too special to let go after a loss pony up for the cherished salvage coverage. You will be glad you did in the event of an accident or engine fire or theft recovery or whatever.

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: January 22, 2023 09:14AM

Many years ago I had a run-in with Allstate Insurance (the other guy's insurance company) after somebody pulled out in front of me from a 2-way stop. I was doing 55 at the time and was about 100 feet away when he pulled out from a side road on the right. I had just enough time to stand on the brakes and aim to miss his driver door (it was either that or ditch the car into a culvert). I laid his Ford wagon open like a sardine can from behind the driver door to the tailgate, put a stress kink in his right front fender, bent the steering shaft on my '65 Monza, put stress kinks in my roof and left rear quarter, drove the drive train forward and bent the motor mounts, and screwed up the brake system, having stood on it that hard. All I had was a lap belt, so I got a bump on the chin (still have the scar.)

His adjuster made sure I was NOT at home (I had unfortunately set it outside under a sh** tree that rained sh** all over it, making a shiny Imron paint job look like it had set in the junkyard for 20 years) when he came by, then complained that it was all locked up (of course) and he couldn't access it, complained that x, y, and z were bad, etc. and claimed it was only worth half of what I knew was market value. To top it off, he discounted my extensive credits, experience, and expertise in CORSA and the Corvair hobby, basically insulting me to the point that I ordered him out of my house (I could have thrown him out my picture window at that point) and not return until he had a valid offer OR I was going to take them to court.

I ended up having to show them the latest copy of Old Cars Price Guide to prove them way wrong. Even then, I had to settle for one less condition grade than I knew the car actually was, but still then it was better than the jerk's original offer. My insurance agent told me that that is why their rates are so cheap, because they chisel their settlements.

Bottom line (no pun intended): You get what you pay for, thus you're in bad hands with Allstate (and God help you if you have to deal with them).

-Mark

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: January 22, 2023 09:20AM

I am not sure the answer to Dave W.s question. I am not sure who owned it. But I do believe Eric P. is correct.
Looks like a car John and Theresa M. owned and sold.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.