Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
F/S Early 1965 AM/FM radio The red FM lights up
Posted by: Westds ()
Date: January 12, 2023 02:46PM

This is a very rare Delco AM/FM radio. I have had it since one of our club members passed in 2017. I was unaware it was the early radio until I sent it to Fred Bybee in November 2021. When I got it back and saw the backlit tuning dial I had to call Fred to verify this is the very rare radio. I bought it as a backup for the AM/FM I have in my 66 Corsa. Along with the radio is a multiplex unit that converts the radio to a stereo unit. It was also a backup for the one in my Corsa. The mux has a stereo aux jack to plug your phone or other audio source into.
Both are fully tested. I have the original manual in soft form.
PM me for more photos.
Delco AM/FM radio $900.00
Multiplex adaptor $475.00 SOLD
Shipping included.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2023 03:38PM by 1966-Corsa-GT-180.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: F/S Early 65 AM/FM radio with Multiplex unit. The red FM lights up
Date: January 12, 2023 02:48PM

More photos

Attachments:

Date: January 12, 2023 02:50PM

More photos

Attachments:

Date: January 12, 2023 03:19PM

My 66 Corsa AM/FM radio and Mux connected to bluetooth adaptor that connects my phone. The AUX out of the adaptor connects to the AUX in of the MUX. My phone calls come thouugh the stereo amp. The bluetooth unit has a mimi SD slot that I install a SD card in with all my music. These old Delco units still sound good today. The AM/FM radios and mux have a 15 Amp output transistor to drive the speakers. An AM radio has a 5 Amp. transistor.

Attachments:
Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: January 13, 2023 07:36AM

Westds Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
The AUX out of the adaptor connects to the AUX in of the MUX.

Nice looking radio/mux.

Is there a DIY on how to do this MUX mod?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2023 07:43AM by flat_six.

Date: January 13, 2023 08:39AM

I took some photos of what I did. You need to cut two wires and put a stereo audio adaptor in line. The point where the signal is inserted is selected so that all the four controls work on the injected audio.
I will see if I can put something together and post it.

Date: January 15, 2023 11:13PM

The multiplex adaptor has been SOLD The radio is still available.

Date: January 24, 2023 10:38AM

BUMP

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 27, 2023 02:36PM

Week-end Bump

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Re: F/S Early 1965 AM/FM radio The red FM lights up
Date: January 29, 2023 08:07AM

Maybe to help this sale, someone could chime in to explain why this red "FM" radio is so rare and therefore worth more than the later ones.

I'd like to know!

Date: January 29, 2023 03:47PM

In 1965 a total of 2714 Delco AM/FM radios were sold. That is 1.14% of Corvairs shipped has this option. It is thought that approximately the first 250 had this transparent dial. The reason for the change was probably a cost issue, the early radio had two dials that were transparant and changed position when the selector switch was moved from AM to FM. The FM dial had the area behind the "FM" colored red so at night it glowed red. The AM dial had a green "AM"area behind it and showed through the dial at night. The frequency numbers were white on both dials. During the day all markings on the dials appear as white with a blach background.

Date: January 30, 2023 07:20AM

Cool. Never knew that. Rare bird there!

I wonder if the change away from red for the FM dial had to do with the industry moving toward reserving red lights on the dash of cars only to indicate a problem/fault. A few years later, the high beam indicators were changed from red to blue also.

Good luck with the sale of your radio!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2023 07:20AM by flat_six.

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: January 31, 2023 07:17AM

same roller dial as 64 Impala... Which had a red FM in the center. 63 Impala also had red. Those were the first AM/FM radios in the Chevy line.

Marco
A 2nd Gen Monza Wagon, a 2nd Gen GB 8door, a 2nd Gen (61's were 1st Gen) R/s and a 62nd Gen Turbo coupe..

Hanging out with the scorpions, king snakes, road runners, coyotes and quails In the southern desert of the silver state
Mesquite NV 89024

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2023 02:44PM by 1966-Corsa-GT-180.

Date: January 31, 2023 02:49PM

Marco_a_p Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> same roller dial as 64 Impala... Which had a red FM in the center. 63 Impala also had red. Those were the first AM/FM radios in the Chevy line.

AM/FM radios in the Chevrolet lineup began in 1964.

My mistake - see my next post down the page....

Of course that doesn't mean that a new AM/FM couldn't be installed in an earlier car - the dashboard of a 1964 is the same as 1963.....

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CCF admin ~
CORSA +Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2023 05:41PM by 1966-Corsa-GT-180.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: January 31, 2023 03:55PM

I had heard of it being available in late 1963 in the full-size Chevrolet, and earlier in the 1963 Corvette. I searched for the evidence of the full-size car but couldn't find it yet. I did find proof of the Corvette on the Corvette forum. If there is any group that knows about what was available and when I would say that the Corvette people will be those people. Below is the link to their forums.

[www.corvetteforum.com]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: January 31, 2023 04:34PM

Uh Oh!

DOH!

Here is my own chart that shows the AM/FM radio first available in 1963!!

Note: the radios were available with both front or rear antenna installations!

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CCF admin ~
CORSA +Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: February 01, 2023 05:18AM

It's true that any vintage Delco radio will fit in an EM COrvair. I've even seen a Wonderbar radio in one. But as far as RPO's go, an FM-capable radio wasn't available in a Corvair until the '65 model year.

-Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.