Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
EM Front Brake Hoses
Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: December 04, 2022 12:48PM

I ordered front/rear brake hoses for my Corvair from Rock Auto. Seeing the "red heart" next to the front ones I ordered I assumed they are for the coupe/sedan (and presumably my wagon) that are far more prevalent than any other Corvair hose frequently purchased. Thus the reason for the red heart. To that end I didn't even notice they had two different front sizes listed. One being 13.91" and the other 16.25".

I thought I did my due diligence by comparing the front and rear hose and noticing in the "info" on the parts that, yes, the front hose was bigger than the rear and thus all was good. Think again Wittsend! Anyway, the return shipping on the part was 70% of the cost so I just retained the hoses. However, I am curious what the Front 13.91" hose is used for? The FC trucks?

BTW, some may wonder why I just didn't use Clark's. Even with eating the two wrong hoses and paying double shipping at Rock Auto the hoses were still less that 42% of Clark's price.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***'61 Lakewood, a "Freebie" in hibernation for 27 years - In the process of applying CPR.***

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EM Front Brake Hoses
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: December 04, 2022 07:36PM

Ah, the red heart. It just means a popular part, not a popular part for the application you are looking under. If the widget with heart was listed for a 1980 whatsitz but is mostly sold for a Chevrolet whizbang, the heart will be there even if they sold none for the whatsitz for four years. ????

Just means a fast moving part of the options listed.

Be very cautious of parts listed for 1961 to 1965 Corvair, as FCs are Corvairs too!winking smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: December 05, 2022 05:06AM

My Price List from 3/22 shows C330 front hose for $16.50. Today is $25.50. Everything Corvair I buy has gone up 50% since January 2021. Spark plugs, gas hose, gear oil and coffee just last week...

Sometimes I buy hoses from local O'Reillys if I don't have a few days or don't need anything else from Clarks. Most are a little cheaper but it seems like one is not available or expensive, maybe LM rear...?

I hate things like Rockauto and Amazon with a passion. If I have to spend a little more to keep my local auto parts and Corvair vendors in business so be it. I suppose my position is a little different because I'm just passing the cost on to the customer.

All my transactions with Rockauto and Amazon have gone well, I just resent the conglomerate corporate takeover.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: December 05, 2022 08:53AM

I am by no means flush with cash but I want our hobby to continue so I shop at the Corvair vendors and very occasionally my local NAPA or O'Rieleys. Rock Auto nor Amazon give one whit weather you buy there stuff or not. It's all run by computers. Again I do use Amazon for some things and the CPF gets a cut when you shop with Amazon Smile.

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: December 05, 2022 09:23AM

I really want to use FLAPS but have been treated like crap by them so many times I just don't care any more. I buy everything I can from RockAuto and they treat me great. I buy a lot from Clark's too including things they reproduce even when I don't need them. I have a pair of their FC rear wheel bearings on the shelf.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 141 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: December 05, 2022 09:27AM

Paul
CPF gets a cut when you shop with Amazon Smile.

One does need to sign up on Amazon Smile and declare CPF as the recipient of the donation first. A great way to get money to CPF without any extra outlay on your part!smileys with beer

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: December 05, 2022 01:29PM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My Price List from 3/22 shows C330 front hose for $16.50. Today is $25.50. ...

There were three different front hoses listed at the proper 16.25" size that were under $10 at Rock Auto. I was skeptical about the Sunsong brand but did investigation on a number of diverse car forums (not seller contrived reviews) . Apparently they make a LOT of OEM hoses and name companies re-box their product. The ones I received were made in Thailand. FWIW all the FLAPS wanted about $19.99 per hose and most were sold under the "house" brand. Regarding variable prices, I bought some blade fuse holders the other day. $3.12 at Lowe's, at least $6-$7 everywhere else. Maybe they slipped through the inflation crack???

Back to my original question: "I am curious what the Front (short) 13.91" hose is used for? The FC trucks?". Is there any Corvair application for the 13.91" length hose or has Rock Auto errored in an application?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***'61 Lakewood, a "Freebie" in hibernation for 27 years - In the process of applying CPR.***

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.