Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Any tricks for removing engine heater tin?
Posted by: OldWrenchTurner ()
Date: November 25, 2022 06:31PM

Does anybody out there have any easy 'tricks' for removing the heater tin that attaches to the front driver side of an early model engine?

The only info I could find was Davemotohead's excellent 'Engine sheet metal removal' video (Video link showing tin), but unfortunately, he says that the exhaust log has to be removed to get the tin off.

I'm hoping that somebody out there may have come up with a trick to remove the tin without removing the exhaust stuff. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any tricks for removing engine heater tin?
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 25, 2022 06:35PM

Only when the front left or right shroud is rusted for clearance.grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: November 25, 2022 06:39PM

And it is a sinking feeling when you see a left or right front shroud on the workbench after you have installed the exhaust logs!eye popping smiley

I assemble engines on the workbench.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: November 26, 2022 06:20AM

Frank DuVal wrote:
"And it is a sinking feeling when you see a left or right front shroud on the workbench after you have installed the exhaust logs!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My associate and I have had discussions on this on more than one occasion.
I know a lot about doing wrong things from personal experience.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 26, 2022 06:56AM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And it is a sinking feeling when you see a left or right front shroud on the workbench after you have installed the exhaust logs!eye popping smiley
>
>

Not as bad as when you are on the 3rd pass of head torqueing and you realize one is stripped.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: November 26, 2022 08:08AM

Since yours is a '61 the lower shroud and the rear air door assy would be spot welded together. Yes that will make it harder to get off but not in a bad way since you are taking all of the shrouding off. When you want to take just the lower shroud off then it is a real pain. Also as pointed out the front heater "boxes" need to have the bellhousing or the exhaust manifolds off to get them out of there.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: OldWrenchTurner ()
Date: November 26, 2022 01:20PM

RexJohnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since yours is a '61 the lower shroud and the rear air door assy would be spot welded together. Yes that will make it harder to get off but not in a bad way since you are taking all of the shrouding off. When you want to take just the lower shroud off then it is a real pain. Also as pointed out the front heater "boxes" need to have the bellhousing or the exhaust manifolds off to get them out of there.

Dang it!

That's a lot of extra work just to clean off the tin and get a look at the head numbers. I can work at cleaning the tin ON the engine, but not being able to see the head number on that side is going to be really frustrating.

Date: November 26, 2022 05:43PM

With the front two bolts out the shroud is usually loose enough to be able to see the head number. Take a picture with your phone and see if that helps.

Most of the dirt on that shroud is on the outside, trapped next to the bellhousing.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.