Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
140 Single Exhaust
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: November 23, 2022 05:23AM

I started to reply about this on a 140 manifold to turbo thread but didn't want to rabbit trail it.
I'd sure like to figure out an easy way to make a Big Single exhaust to 140 manifolds. I'm somewhat in the minority thinking single exhaust on a 6 cylinder is the bomb.
It came up again as I'm putting a 140 in a 63 this week.
Several years ago I welded some stuff together into an angled inlet/outlet glasspack on a Rampside that sounded fantastic in a slightly annoying sort of a way.
A 2 1/2" 140 exhaust coming through a turbo body cut-out would be so cool.
It's the Matt Nall Big Single exhaust idea but it usually takes so long for a hack like me.
I wonder how restrictive the smooth angled 2 into 1 merge on a 110 crossover is. I think they're generally 1 3/4 at the exit and I wonder if you stepped that up immediately if it would flow well. Maybe 2 or 2 1/4 muffler inlet and 2 1/2 outlet...?

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 140 Single Exhaust
Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: November 23, 2022 06:25AM

Hi Jim,
Little off target but some thoughts:
For a 110, I would consider modifying a a new 110 merged style single exhaust.
These are quite restrictive, even to the eye.
Cut it back to expose the almost full diameter of the 2 pipes pipes and weld on a 2-1/4 or 2-1/2 purchased or muffler shop made 90 degree bend.
in the appropriate location while mocked up on the vehicle.
To get the muffler exit where needed.
I did something similar years ago to my 460 Ford tow van to run a single 3 " pipe and matching Flow Master muffler.
To free up the exhaust flow.
Now sounds like a Trans Am racer at idle ...
For a 140 I suspect the "U" pipes can be made to so the same as the 110 above.
With some extra pipe , a hack saw and some extra pipe / bends.
One might even convince a muffler shop to help you do it, if presented as a challenge to them [ grin ]
Let me / us know how it goes.
And Happy Thanksgiving !!

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Date: November 23, 2022 09:22AM

I was surprised when doing the math for all into 1 headers on my EP car that the pipes we think we need sometimes are not required.
I remember Jon Brakke being surprised on the dyno when he did a step-up in tubing size on his primary header pipes.
Having said that my brother built headers on a Honda 1500 according to the math and couldn't get it to rev freely to high RPMs.
I suppose exhaust manifolds are a bit of a sticky wicket as well.
Headers By Ed was an interesting guy to talk to if you had an hour and a half to spare on the phone. Lots of good free advice and theory.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: November 23, 2022 09:29AM

Patio Matt might chime in on big singles.

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Posted by: nirvairna ()
Date: November 23, 2022 09:46AM

jim said: I remember Jon Brakke being surprised on the dyno when he did a step-up in tubing size on his primary header pipes.

okay, did he get more power or less power? either one could be a surprise smiling smiley

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: November 23, 2022 10:40AM

nirvairna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> jim said: I remember Jon Brakke being surprised on the dyno when he did a step-up in tubing size on his primary header pipes.
>
> okay, did he get more power or less power? either one could be a surprise smiling smiley

As I recall, he did get more power, and the 6-1 sounded better too, he even ran a lightweight muffler on it, as several tracks require them. Really sounded great.

Rocco

Posted by: brentc ()
Date: November 23, 2022 10:51AM

I'd just honed out 110 style exhaust manifolds to fit 140 stacks, when I wanted to try this out. Then a stock 110hp type GM exhaust for the rest.

I really, really liked it! Very quiet, no more droopy mufflers and same top speed, doesn't seem to be restrictive. I definitely get the impression from the GM literature the 1965 duals were a very last minute addition.

I'm sure a fancier arrangement is possible, Craig Roberts fabricated a turbo exhaust complete with cutout for his '66 car with 140 actually installed and it looked very tidy.

Brent

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: November 23, 2022 11:06AM

I have two ‘64 convertibles. Both have 140-4 drivetrains.
Only major difference externally is one has dual exhaust, the other has one of the vaunted original DM big singles. I would say the one with the single is faster but that could be internal differences in the engine build. I built it myself and know the specs. The other car with duals I did not build the engine so not sure what’s on the inside. I would love to see someone come up with more 140 single setups for sale.

Posted by: KenHenry ()
Date: November 23, 2022 11:15AM

I think you might have seen this already Jim but I run a single exhaust system on the 140 in my 65 Corsa. I used one of the 2.5" mufflers for a wrecked Mustang GT and it sounds good without being overly loud. I worked from plans posted a few years ago By Alan Lacki, started with a pair of stock 140 U pipes, and took my time cutting and welding all of the bits and pieces together. The collector and maybe some other parts were from coneeng.com. I put a V-band clamp at the muffler inlet. Ken

9D5AE45F-B68C-426B-945F-5C85D4A72AD8 by kenhenry_06268, on Flickr

1CCF3DCC-E971-4EC6-8264-6F597D5DFB5B by kenhenry_06268, on Flickr

Ken Henry, Rochester, NY USA
1965 Corvair Corsa
140 hp, 4 speed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2022 11:15AM by KenHenry.

Posted by: MtnVairMike ()
Date: November 23, 2022 12:41PM

One other idea. I didn't know it until I got my low miles 69 and started poking around on the exhaust and new mufflers.
Unless I got something sideways even on the single exhaust they went to bigger pipes and muffler diameter for better flow with the smog pump installed.

Thanks,

Mike

1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White
1969 Monza Convertible, 110HP-PG, Frost Green

Black Mountain,NC

Others in the menagerie...
72 Corvette Stingray, 58K miles, owned since 87
72 MGB, 112K miles, bought from original owner in 09
78 Chevy pickup, 124K miles, bought new in 78
93 Corvette, LT1/6spd, 210K miles, daily driver since 96
02, Chevy Z71, 4x4, 93K miles, my Dad's truck, inherited 2021

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 23, 2022 02:43PM

Mike!!we need some pics!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: cschneider53 ()
Date: November 23, 2022 04:42PM

My muffler guy copied Ken's setup. With the Clarks stock Turbo muffler it sounds great!

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: November 23, 2022 05:34PM

My 140 that was in a 62 Spyder had a six into one with a Turbo exhaust muffler, and sounded exactly like my stock 63 Spyder, except it had a neat slightly rumbly/rough idle like it had a radical cam in it. My recollection was that the cross over part of the exhaust was kind of humongous compared to the stock 63 turbo... although it was probably 1 1/2" tubing. What ever size it really was, it was big enough to hit the ground before the differential would, and that was how the exhaust was damaged. I high centered on the cross over parking in a field. Not knowing quite what had happened, I left the big dent in the pipe alone and the extra back pressure was enough to ruin that engine.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car
Test Start#2 [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: ROD ()
Date: November 23, 2022 06:24PM

This was our 140hp super single for rampy if it helps. I thought it sounded cool

[corvaircenter.com]

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Date: November 24, 2022 06:32AM

What is the idea with KenHenry system with the expansion after the merge and before the muffler?
It seems like modern systems in a front engine car where you have more room they often do this as well.
Us Corvair folks usually have to accomplish all that we want to in a very limited span.
I remember hot rod guys when I was a kid using Corvair turbo mufflers and now I see Hot Rod magazine did an article about them back then as a cheap alternative.
I'm probably going to do something a little quick and cheap on the '63 I have at hand but plan something better for something else later.
The '63 at hand is using up a lot of time and money with suspension bushings, rear wheel bearings and such.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: November 24, 2022 07:40AM

That expansion is a cat. Meow!

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
62' Wagon rebuild MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: November 24, 2022 06:10PM

The best crossover I think I've seen was by Alan Lacki, though I think an even better one should possibly use this collector.

Not sure what muffler to use, though sound would be of prime consideration. Don't have it so loud that it drowns out the radio or makes your ears ring on the highway. About like a nice stock Porsche.

-Mark

Attachments:

Posted by: vairsnvettes ()
Date: November 24, 2022 09:43PM

that looks interesting. Who makes it?

Mark
66 Corsa

Posted by: vairsnvettes ()
Date: November 24, 2022 09:45PM

Found it. spdexhaust.com

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 24, 2022 10:38PM

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The best crossover I think I've seen was by Alan Lacki, though I think an even better one should possibly use this collector.
>
> Not sure what muffler to use, though sound would be of prime consideration. Don't have it so loud that it drowns out the radio or makes your ears ring on the highway. About like a nice stock Porsche.
>
> -Mark

Okay Mark, so I apologize in advance, because I am NOT trying to pick on you, I just see a possible flaw.
In the picture of Alan's crossover, it appears that the pipes do not make a full 90 degree bend, after the crossover.
UNLESS that picture of the Bent Merge Collector is an optical illusion, it appears to be MORE than 90 degrees.
Which would then require the remaining exhaust be angled once more to over come that slight misdirection.
Though, I suppose a person could cut off a portion of the Bent Merge Collector to compensate for that overbend, but then you need to keep in mind that your pipe would then be a slight oval, and not a true circle.
Not the end of the world by any means, just something to be aware of going into a project.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.