Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Other Hobbies?
Posted by: gbullman ()
Date: November 20, 2022 05:04PM

I worked with computer systems for years but my hobbies tend towards building and fixing things with my hands.

My second most active hobby after the Corvair is Radio Control Model Aircraft. I fly mostly fixed wing aircraft but recently have been learning helicopters as well.

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: illinicorsa ()
Date: November 21, 2022 06:18AM

Recently I bought an 1970s electro-mechanical pinball machine (Sterns RAWHIDE, four player) in pretty good shape but needed some repairs, which is what I wanted, a project. Fortunately, like Corvairs, parts and manual were available. Works perfect now.

Steve
'66 Corsa
Ofallon, MO

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: November 21, 2022 06:25AM

I know a Corvair Nut who has an entire living room area with 25 pinball machines in it...all made working by him.

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: November 21, 2022 06:32AM

I play the Trumpet...and collect(Ed) trumpets. I've probably owned close to 100. Down to a handful now. I used to buy them, fix them, and sell them for a little extra cash.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Date: November 21, 2022 06:49AM

I've been getting back into the B flat clarinet I played in Jr High Band.

I had it refurbished, and I am looking for an Alto and/or Bass clarinet.

Attachments:

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: November 21, 2022 06:56AM

Amazing how similar some of these hobbies are. I recently bought a new Trombone. I played it in middle school and high school all the way through college, but lost track of my interest in it. My son started French Horn at school, so I bought the Trombone to practice with him.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Date: November 21, 2022 07:08AM

LET'S GET THE BAND BACK TOGETHER!!!

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: November 21, 2022 09:06AM

Phil Dally Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LET'S GET THE BAND BACK TOGETHER!!!

I play Trumpet, my wife plays Trumpet (we met in College Marching Band), my 2 girls both play Trumpet....

Eric P.
DEWitt,IA

Posted by: jfreez ()
Date: November 21, 2022 10:28AM

This is a very cool topic, Love hearing about everyone's hobbies.

I also gravitate to things that involve working with my hands. Mostly limited by the usual things, (time, money, space)

Woodworking - I have been woodworking when I can since I was 15 (I'm 50 now). it even led to a lot of side jobs doing hardwood floors for quite a while.

Cars - I still have my first car, 1963 Nova SS, I spend a lot of time buying and selling parts so that I will be able to do a very high-level restoration when I retire. Other cars 1968 VW beetle, 64 VW beetle sunroof monochrome car, 2007 corvette Z06 and of course my 1965 corvair turbo convertible.

Vinyl records - I started that thread.

Playing Pool, I was decent for a little while, winning some local tournaments.

Electronics - a few years back I picked up an AS in industrial electronics. I restored an old Gallaga game and built a NIXI clock. Also have built some amazing car stereos over the years.

Anything to do with science interests me, I have a bio degree and have worked in a lab for almost 30 years

I have also taken on a bunch of family collections. Lots of silver inlay depression glass, antiques of all kinds.

If anybody is interested in Jurassic Park collectibles, let me know. We inherited a huge collection

This list could keep going for miles, but I'm sure I should be working on one of my projects right now smiling smiley

Posted by: Big Dave ()
Date: November 21, 2022 11:46AM

Like many of the others who have posted anything that is "hands on" I enjoy doing. Woodworking is one of my main side hobbies. Mainly small projects made from stuff people throw out. The truck was made from oak from an old headboard and trailer from fir shelf boards saved from a school that was being demolished.

Dave A.

62 Greenbrier "Shaggy" Daily Driver
63 Greenbrier "Velma" (SOLD!)
63 Rampside Future Project
63 Monza Vert
64 Monza Vert, Son's Project / Daily Driver

Puyallup, WA

Attachments:

Posted by: Bali ()
Date: November 21, 2022 02:09PM

For me it's model trains. Three rail O gauge. I've got a collection of prewar American Flyer from before they went to S scale. I've got prewar Marx and prewar Lionel Flying Yankee. The majority of my collection tho is postwar Lionel, mainly steam locomotives. My track of choice is Lionel Super O, made in the 50's & 60's.

For a number of years I was part of a group restoring a full sized oil-fired 0-8-0 steam locomotive built in 1924 back to operating condition.

Having grown up around outlaw bikers i have a passion for motorcycles, especially Indian motorcycles from the teens to the 40's. I would love nothing more then to get my hands on an old Indian & completely restore it.

Bali

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2022 02:16PM by Bali.

Posted by: Gatorfly ()
Date: November 21, 2022 04:17PM

Fun topic!

Planes, Trains and Automobiles! Dad was a welder and machinist by trade and the neighborhood mechanic by night. Planes (full scale and r/c models) were just part of growing up and flying is now four generations deep. Corvairs just happened to be one of my Dads favorite cars so naturally all six kids drove them. Flying was (and still is) another family passion smiling smiley

Happy Thanksgiving to all those out in Corvair Land! smileys with beer

San Juan Islands, WA

1966 Corsa Coupe 180/4 Marina Blue/Blue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2022 04:19PM by Gatorfly.

Attachments:

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: November 21, 2022 07:14PM

Like others here have posted in this thread I could fill a page. My wife mocks me often for all my hobbies. Two to note here though now. Motorcycles and working on them the same as the cars. Then the winter month hobby - building banjos and guitars. I like playing but almost prefer to build them and work on them.

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: November 21, 2022 11:05PM

Where to begin???

I have been IN Electronics ever since I can remember!

My dad got me a Lionel Train Set when I was 5, so I guess that was the first "hobby" I had.

His best friend lived two doors down and was a Radio/TV Repairman/Seller/Installer way back when (1940's to 1970). Television was NEW and dad made extra money installing Outside TV Antennas on the weekends. I got to follow along, and when I got older I would help.

We also spent a lot of time in Herb's Repair Shop - did I mention Electronics?

I also got to work with dad on our family car. I don't remember the first car we had, but I know it was a Chrysler product. I am old enough to remember what "Step on the Starter" meant!

Dad was a machinist. He worked for Allison Aircraft for almost 38 years, starting in 1937 as a Job Setter (when he applied they found he was really good at most of the machines in use, so he was hired to "setup" a machine, teach the operator how to make the part, then move on to another setup! He finally retired in 1975 as a Supervisor.

He was very handy with lots of things and I followed along learning how to do many things that I think of as Hobbies.

I was lucky in my choice of High Schools and when I graduated I could Weld, run a Lathe, do Woodworking and had advanced education in Math and Electronics!!!

My "Hobbies" include Welding, Metal work, Plumbing, Concrete, General Car Repair, CORVAIRS, Guns (I was a Deputy Sheriff in another life), Motion Picture Projector Operation and Repair, Light Dimming Systems, Amateur Radio, etc!!!

Oh, did I mention Electronics????

Dad was NOT allowed to enlist when Pear Harbor was attacked - he and his coworkers were told they had "War Critical Jobs" and could not join the military. They actually built Dormitories at Allison Plant 5 for the employs to stay in unless they signed a paper stating their loyalty and pledge to work until the war ended.

They were never used, and were converted to Office Buildings in the late 1940's. I still live just West of Indy and pass Plants 5 and 8 several times a month. GM has sold Allison Turbine to Roll-Royce and they have recently torn down those old buildings!

Trick Question: Where did the name "Allison" come from?

When the Vietnam 'thing' (I don't think it qualified as a "war") was at its height I had my Associates Degree in electronics and was working at Motorola when Uncle Sam decided they wanted ME! Long story short - I spent 3 years in the Army Signal Corps, one of those being in Vietnam! eye popping smiley

It makes me wonder where the last 78 years went!? confused smiley

Now where did I put those diagonal cutters? I need to do some more electrical work on my Corvair!!! hot smiley

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: MarkDustan ()
Date: November 22, 2022 08:27PM

Ok Ok I have a Corvair obsession. I visit the Corsa Oregon meetings monthly, they help me with my addiction. But I do not stop there.
I am doing a ground jup restoration on a 1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible in my 6th year. Will attempt to start it tomorrow.
I am a Genealogist
I am a Dowser and teach dowsing
I built a log cabin at the Oregon Coast started in 1994, pretty much finished 5400 square foot 3 story.
Worked in AV and computers my entire life. That means a AV nerd and a computer geek
Raise a big garden including, pears, Asian pears, grapes, strawberries, white raspberries and Marion berries, and all the typical home garden items.
And an inordinate amount of time perusing the internet for Corvair trivia

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: November 23, 2022 05:06AM

MarkDustan, Mind if I come live in your garden? Just say "berries" and I'm there! They're one of the 4 major food groups, along with cookies, my late mother's ham loaf and her fruit cake. As she always said, "those who hate fruit cake, have never had good fruit cake. THIS is good fruit cake!" Before he married mother, my dad hated fruit cake. Then she made him try hers. POW! Instant convert. People would fight over the last piece of her fruit cake and ham loaf. That's ho good a cook she was.grinning smiley

-Mark

P.S. Unfortunately, I didn't inherit her recipes for fruit cake and ham loaf. (I think my sister-in-law made off with them.) Haven't found any that even come close ever since. sad smiley

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: November 23, 2022 09:08AM

Hobbies?
#1 is ANYTHING Corvair. Restoring my Rampside, keeping my 65 Monza convertible on the road which I've owned for 45 years and my 62 Monza sedan that is not much trouble right now because it's in the National Corvair Museum. I've also taken on a couple of customers for Corvair work. So far so good. I am also a Master Concours Judge for CORSA.
#2 I LOVE vintage advertising signs. Mostly lighted beer signs from the 50s, 60s, 70s. I don't have a ton of them but I still seek my "holy grail" of a Hamms motion sign from the 60s.
#3 I have an extensive Matchbox collection from the 60s/70s and pretty much all the die-cast Corvair models that have been produced.
#3 Some would say I collect tools. I have mechanic tools, wood working tools and home improvement type tools. A few vintage tools but only if they are useful.
#4 I am a Pontiac enthusiast but don't currently own one. I love the early Tempest (Step sister to the Corvair) and 66-69 Tempest/Firebird Sprint.
#5 I have a replica digital PDP-11 computer to build. I worked on the real thing for 20+ years earlier in my career.
#OTHER I have "N" gauge trains but haven't had them out for years.
I have a 2008 Mazda MX5 Grand Touring soft top 6spd that I LOVE but it may go away next year to fund the Rampside project.
Fortunately I have a very understanding wife.

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Attachments:
Posted by: ROD ()
Date: November 23, 2022 06:50PM

[www.tiktok.com]

moto with the boys & beating my girls to tiktok fame

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Posted by: gregb ()
Date: November 23, 2022 08:32PM

I am really interested in vintage vacuum tube electronics, I have just over three hundred radios, TV's and audio amplifiers from the 20' on up to the 60'. Most all of them I have restored to as new working condition. I also like collecting the old tubes as well, at one point I was up new 30,000 but have down sized and am down to about 10,000.

I also like things that fly and have been flying model airplanes and rockets since I was a kid. See below, this is my Canadian Black Brandt, it is just over 6' tall and 4" in diameter and this launch went just over 5,000 ft.

Gregb

Alberta Canada
61 Canadian Lakewood
62 Spyder Triple Black Convertible
65 Corsa Coupe

Attachments:
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 23, 2022 10:16PM

NICE! thumbs up
I have always thought rocketry was pretty cool, but have never lived anywhere that you could do it.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.