Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Other Hobbies?
Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: November 23, 2022 10:25PM

You guys with outdoor activities put me to shame, explains my ever expanding waistband. I envy horribly all you with musical talent, something I promise to investigate in my next life. I am a miner, similar to Phil Dally, but I take an easier path. Instead of getting outdoors and getting dirty, I sit in front of my laptop and mine e-Bay for an airplane parts collection.

I can't place where my fascination with the Convair B-58A Hustler supersonic nuclear bomber began. When I was small, was it the sonic booms I heard living in northern Ohio? Or was it the Marx tin toy a neighbor got for Christmas that was able to taxi with flashing lights and jet engine sounds?

[www.youtube.com]

IMHO, never was a sleeker, more beautiful aircraft cut from metal. Nor were few near as deadly - 29 of 116 airframes were lost. It was a demanding machine on the leading edge of aeronautical engineering.

Over the last 40 years, I've been able to collect many of the Air Force manuals, General Dynamics (manufacturer) manuals and literature, parts of aircraft, models. I have the trigger for the tail mounted M61 Vulcan 20mm rotary cannon and the control stick the navigator used to fly the bird over the target site, many of the gauges, tires and engine (FOD) covers.

I was invited to display part of my collection at the Grissom ARB (one of three bases to host the Hustler when it stood alert with SAC) Hoosier Hustler Homecoming (for aircrews and Maintenance Personnel) in 2017. In 2018, I got to scratch number 1 off my bucket list. Only 8 B-58 airframes still exist, I've been able to visit and touch 7 of them (Phil's trying to figure out how to sneak me on to Edwards AFB to see the eighth.) The connections from the Homecoming paid off when the Hustler at the long closed Chanute AFB at Rantoul, Il. was being dismantled and readied for shipment to the March Air Museum in California. I finally got to sit in the pilot's cockpit of a B-58!

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa coupe basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Colorsarge ()
Date: November 24, 2022 05:53AM

I've been a Civil War reenactor for thirty years including doing living history for the National Park Service at Gettysburg. Played ice and deck hockey (goaltender),
Raced both oval track and road course (built my own race cars), Raced slot cars (Northeast Modified Slot Car Tour), and dove shipwrecks in the Atlantic off the coast of Long Island. Certification in underwater archeology. I have been blessed with these opportunities for sure.

Frankford, De., eight miles north of Ocean City, Md.
1966 Corsa convt.

Attachments:
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: November 24, 2022 06:08AM

Hobbies?

I haven't got time for hobbies, now that I have retired.

A 23 ft RV trailer, 3 classic cars, 2 modern vehicles, 2 lawn mowers, a golf cart, a 4-wheeler, 2 1/2 acres of land with home, 2 large garages, 2 storage sheds and a container. Plus my wife Donna and our 17 year old puppy. All my time is filled up with tasks every day to even think of taking up a hobby.

Donna told me I would not retire and sit in my recliner all day. She was right. No time to slow down. Something to keep me busy in all my awake hours.

6 years retired and still looking for a day off. When I get a day off, I might start a hobby. But, I guesss reading this forum is a hobby.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: November 24, 2022 06:41AM

Al your definition of "retired" is exactly right...always on the move!!

Posted by: Dave Decker ()
Date: November 24, 2022 07:18AM

My wife and I volunteer at a dog rescue. Pic is of our fosters. I am trying to get me and my Vibram fivefingers up over 10,000 feet and beyond. Maybe Kilimanjaro next spring!

Dave, Kamloops, B.C. '65Crown V8, 2009 Tacoma

Attachments:

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 24, 2022 06:07PM

I inherited a coin collection and some old model trains but the only other thing I do besides Corvairs and tools/equipment/forklift/trailers to support the Corvairs is dirt bikes. I have about a dozen with the newest being a 2008 WR250F that has been made street legal. I have a couple of tractors, a digger derrik and 2 bucket trucks also. Oh and various other cars - Malibus, Caprices, trucks, a Clark Cortez and some '71-'95 Chevy vans.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 138 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: November 25, 2022 05:29AM

IMNSHO this is the worthiest hobby of all so far...thank you!!

We have eight pets altogether and six of them are rescues.

Willow is our Pomeranian, and she is the newest wild child.

We will definitely be looking into dog obedience classes.

Dave Decker
My wife and I volunteer at a dog rescue.

Attachments:
Date: November 25, 2022 07:22AM

Phil Dally Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> IMNSHO this is the worthiest hobby of all so far...thank you!!
>
> We have eight pets altogether and six of them are rescues.
>
> Willow is our Pomeranian, and she is the newest wild child.
>
> We will definitely be looking into dog obedience classes.

>
>
Dave Decker
> My wife and I volunteer at a dog rescue.
>

What is it about dogs? I've cried longer and harder having to put a dog down than I have at any funeral. Good on ya, Phil.

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: November 25, 2022 08:00AM

Personally, while I like dogs, I like cats more. However, because of what Dave just said, I can no longer stand to have pets around, for the simple reason that I get too attached to them. It darn near killed me to have to put my last cat down, so now all I have around is my stuffed toy pets. At least they don't die, and they are good for a nice snuggle whenever needed. I guess I am still a kid at heart.

-Mark

P.S. It's also, I guess, why I have worked with the most helpless of the helpless kids, those who are bullied, who are "different", who are having problems dealing with religious and sexual issues. It's also why I wrote a book, "A Boy's Tail", a sci-fi romance novel about religious prejudice and the damage it can do. I've seen kids as young as NINE years old commit suicide because they were bullied so badly. And given the statistics on these kids (which are horrifying), I can't not help them. See my website at Aboystail.com for info.

I feel that it's not a hobby (OT) but a duty (a calling if you will) as a Christian, one that I must do.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 25, 2022 05:00PM

jjohnsonjo Wrote:
> Hunting
> fishing
> sailing
> windsurfing
> GUNS and target shooting
> motorcycles, street and dirt
> skiing
> UTVs
> RVing, gave up camping
> Photography and videos, now with 4K cams to record our trips, every state but ND
> Drones
> Cooking ,smoking ,grilling,
> gardening
> Most important, "investing" which has allowed me to do all this stuff for 18 years of retirement without working

This getting so interesting so I thought I would add some things I liked, but no longer do. Also, Al is right, you don't get a day off when your retired. A couple of pics for the no pics it didn't happen guys. I agree with all the kind words about dogs, they have always been a part of my life. I maintain two stick houses, one with twelve acres and a motor home. I take care of my severe MR non verbal 40 year old son who has always been with us. Fortunatly he is mobile and health and goes nearly everywhere with me. A few of you guys have met him over the years.

Things I no longer do.

junior and HS band , clarinet
bowling league
dart league
volley ball league
model planes and boats, "U" control and RC, plus tow line and Hi start gliders
wine making
golf
archery
black powder competition.
racing and any form of competition

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Attachments:

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 25, 2022 09:24PM

Dave Decker Wrote:

> What is it about dogs? I've cried longer and harder having to put a dog down than I have at any funeral. .................

I hear ya, and totally agree.
There is a reason we call them our Fur-Child.
They are every bit as much a part of our family as those with two legs.
Thankfully, you didn't creep us out with comments about what you snuggle with. eye rolling smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: November 26, 2022 04:52AM

Any one here into old radios and TVs? I have acquired a few tubes that might be useful/interesting.

Post here, if you are? Also send me a PM if you want to see photo(s) of the tubes. They are quite large ones. About 1 1/2" across amd 3" long. Might be more, but I haven't gone throught the entire box I received.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 26, 2022 06:50AM

American Mel Wrote:

> .
> Thankfully, you didn't creep us out with comments about what you snuggle with. eye rolling smiley

You asked for it Mel

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Attachments:
Date: November 26, 2022 07:26AM

grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

Beautiful.
A boy and his dog.

WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: November 26, 2022 08:50AM

American Mel Wrote:
> Dave Decker Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
>
> > What is it about dogs? I've cried longer and harder having to put a dog down than I have at any funeral. .................
>
>
> I hear ya, and totally agree.
> There is a reason we call them our Fur-Child.
> They are every bit as much a part of our family as those with two legs.
> .
> Thankfully, you didn't creep us out with comments about what you snuggle with. eye rolling smiley
Here goes.... In our house we practise what the Aussies call a 'three dog night';-)

Date: November 26, 2022 12:53PM

I get that.
There is a reason, for Three Dog Nights.
Shared warmth.
Nothing creepy there.
Now, how much warmth, and loyalty, is a Plush TOY, going to bring you?

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: November 26, 2022 02:42PM

AmericanMel said:
Now, how much warmth, and loyalty, is a Plush TOY, going to bring you?

With a heating pad, all you want. And it's good for life, no broken hearts. grinning smiley

-Mark

Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: November 27, 2022 09:56AM

Through the years I've had various collections and hobbies. Due to a brutal, long drawn out divorce and several moves, I had to narrow it down.

Coins, which I collected since a kid. Still have the 1935 Mercury dime my dad found outside our old farmhouse that was built in the late 1800's. It's now grown into graded coins and limited release coins.

Guns/shooting: No large collection but I like to target shoot. I bought my dad's Ruger 357 that he bought new in February 1968. Written on the box is the price, plus the $10 down payment because he couldn't afford the full price of $84 so the store allowed him to make a deposit and come back for it in a week or two.

I still only own one Corvair so if a move is necessary again I think it will all fit in the trunk drinking smiley

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: November 27, 2022 05:40PM

I have a number of hobbies.

Other car projects like my G3500, Going on road trips, taking pictures and videos - all of which are found in Picture 1.

Taking pictures of things I like and things I've seen on roads trips to remind me - picture 2-6

Collecting Swag (mainly T-shirts) from places I've been to - picture 7 & 8

Sadly, having to reduce the picture size really takes away from the quality of the picture and the scenery. Specially the mount views.

My G3500, road trip, picture taken from a video, mountain scenery.

Close up of mountain scenery across the road from my truck and picture above.

Zoom out of picture above.

My favorite style of barn seen on the same road trip.

Me buying swag from a place I visited on the same road trip.

That place I visited on the same road trip.

The G3500 sleeper box was my home away from home for 41 days.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: November 27, 2022 07:58PM

This is great stuff. Brilliant seeing the wider side of Corvair People. There's a lot we share!

Dogs, yes. Can't say what it is, but there are old souls in there. I look into the eyes of any dog, and whether it is a spunky or laid back canine, it is sure to be wiser than I am.

I have a nine-year old stray I was given nine years ago. His name is Oreo. Best dog I've ever had. Not exactly sure how I'll handle it when he finally leaves us.

I have the photography bug, too, as well as the old radio/TV (really, anything) itch. Lane, I happen to have a 1948 Sears TV that seems to have blown a tube or two--it used to work until it was taken across country in a crate. Unfortunately it is still in California (but still mine) so I'd have no way of using your tubes or testing them.

And then there's my book collection. Keeps growing even though I couldn't read everything I have in 30 years. I just enjoy reading books more than computer screens.

I'd call all the parts and electronics I have stashed away a collection, too.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Attachments:
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.