Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Other Hobbies?
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: November 19, 2022 05:20PM

So, inspired by the thread about vinyl, I'd like to ask:

What other hobbies do members have? What do you do when you aren't doing your job, or obsessing about Corvairs?

As I mentioned there, I collect records, particularly Beatles and various 60's albums, as well as Blues albums, new or old. Also, funnily enough, Lawrence Welk-style albums such as those "music inspired by" records from the 50's and 60's.

I'm also a Super8 Camera enthusiast. I have 12 cameras, four of which are high-end Beaulieu models 2008, 4008, and 5008. Most of the Beaulieu cameras have been refurbished by their still-existing tech guys out in Sweden. I used to balk at the price they were charging to fix old cameras, until I got a few years into the Bluvair.

And I've got a mountain bike that I used to use more...before I decided I like a 4-speed better. I of course also get into movies and Hollywood memorabilia, and pretty much anything vintage steam-punky. I have two typewriters.

You?

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: Other Hobbies?
Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: November 19, 2022 06:15PM

Boy, did you ever open a can of worms here Eric. I see that I'm the 1st to respond but surely there will be others. (37 minutes after your post )
All my life, I have been obsessed with stuff I can do with my hands. When I was 9 years old, my Dad taught me how to build & fly stick model airplanes. Later, I was building my own bikes. When I was 19, I moved to England. I wasn't allowed to get a job there ( government rules ) so I took up flying gliders at Cambridge University. I also became interested in sports cars. Got my 1st one when I was 18, here in the states ( a 1953 Austin Healey 100 ). That love led to having a couple of MGB's, An AH Sprite, a '1990 Corvette & 10 Corvairs. four of them are pictured in my signature line. In the late 1970's to mid 80's I started flying my own airplanes. A Piper Tri Pacer, a Piper Cherokee, 3 Mooneys & a Cessna 150.
I love doing stuff with my hands. I've been servicing & repairing swimming pools for 63 years now. Iv'e built a few sheds / workshops & done the hard scaping here at home. been here in Orange, Ca. for 52 years.
Gets me tired just remembering all these things. Doug Ward

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Posted by: rick4130 ()
Date: November 19, 2022 06:25PM

Besides Corvairs,and collecting records, I’ve been riding Flatland BMX since 1987.

Rick MacDonald
'63 700 Sedan

Attachments:
Date: November 19, 2022 06:28PM

WAIT ! there's more.
.OH, I have also been involved in sailing. In my early teens, my Dad & I built a racing sailboat. It was a Mercury class 18 footer.It was named Tillikum. We did really well racing againts about 500 other Mercury's here on the west coast. We were the 3rd hottest team in the fleet. In 2001, my wife Ginny & I bought a 45 ft Columbia motorsailer named Compadre. we were going to retire on her after restoring her for 10 years. That didn't work out but we enjoyed it for 20 years with family & friends. Sold her last December
Gets me tired just remembering all these things. Doug Ward

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.

Date: November 19, 2022 06:43PM

My hobbies are more of the "jack of all trades, master of none" kind, I don't have specific things I focus on, but it's mostly stuff around using my hands.
Mostly I tinker with/fix electrical/mechanical/electromechanical stuff. Notice how the corvair fits right in.

Usually I mess with vintage and modern computers/electronics, vintage machines/tools, audio equipment, 3D printers, Pinball machines, appliances, and of course cars.

Some of my cooler stuff is a couple electromechanical typewriters (like the IBM Selectric), some adding machines from the early 1900s, some vintage TI calculators from the 70s, my Gameplan "Sharpshooter" pinball.

But I think the coolest of them all is my Pace EAI TR-10 analog computer. It's pretty complete, but I haven't really gotten to reviving it and reforming the caps. Nor have I really learned how to do analog computations. I wonder if anyone here has experience with analog computers?

Nick

Louisville, KY, US

64 Greenbrier

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2022 06:44PM by TimeMachineParadox.

Attachments:
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: November 19, 2022 07:08PM

Wife and I gold prospect.

We have quite a few claims.

Attachments:

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: November 19, 2022 07:10PM

Riding my motorcycle or racing my son on the dirt smiling smiley

1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1998 Honda Prelude Dirt track car
1967 Crown V8 under construction
Mike Levine
Cumming Georgia
North of Atlanta

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 19, 2022 07:48PM

Hunting
fishing
sailing
windsurfing
GUNS and target shooting
motorcycles, street and dirt
skiing
UTVs
RVing, gave up camping
Photography and videos, now with 4K cams to record our trips, every state but ND
Drones
Cooking ,smoking ,grilling,
gardening
Most important, "investing" which has allowed me to do all this stuff for 18 years of retirement without working

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Attachments:

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: November 19, 2022 08:10PM

My hobbies are "hobbies of necessity." I like to do things (myself) to save money. I've extensively renovated our homes nearly tearing the current one to the ground. In 2013 my 19 year old daughter wanted to build a Tiny House - with me. She finished the whole place for about $40 Sq. Ft.. Might I add that doesn't include the $2,200 for an emergency room trip when my finger went into the table saw blade! This is a link to the You Tube videos my son shot regarding the build Tiny House Video. There are additional Tiny House build videos that can be navigated to once you are at his channel.

Attachments:
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: November 19, 2022 08:11PM

Drones! That's another one for me, too.

But wow, you guys make me feel lazy.

ECP

Date: November 19, 2022 08:34PM

Yep...gold prospecting is work.

Me using a pickaxe at La Panza.

Attachments:
Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: November 20, 2022 05:13AM

Other than Corvairs I have restored a few other vehicles as well. A few years ago we got into vintage camping and bought this 1967 Holiday Rambler and have done quite a bit of work on making it useable. We attend 2 or 3 rallys each summer and are members of the Tin Can Tourists. It’s a great hobby the whole family enjoys.

Attachments:

Date: November 20, 2022 05:15AM

Our other camper is this 1951 Star 28’ that is getting a complete rebuild. It’s a huge project but will be sweet when it’s done, all the modern amenities with all the vintage flair.

Attachments:

Date: November 20, 2022 05:22AM

Dig that station wagon Ryan...Mopar or Furd?

Date: November 20, 2022 05:24AM

We do that Glamping thing too.

Attachments:

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: November 20, 2022 05:33AM

OMG Vairking! A '65 Mercury Villager wagon. Still have it?

-Mark

Date: November 20, 2022 05:45AM

Oh yes still have. It’s a 65 Mercury Colony Park. Frame off restomod restoration, I’m running 4.6 DOHC V8 from a 1998 Lincoln, disk brakes all around, Hotchkis tuned suspension, with air bag helpers on the rear. It’s a fun ride!

Attachments:

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: November 20, 2022 06:07AM

We are all collectors of something, it seems. In addition to Corvairs and since I don't have Jay Leno's bankroll, I've mostly been able to get most of all the cars I've ever wanted, but just in miniature, mostly 1/24 or 1/25 scale. Still have the first model I ever got, a Premier Plastics 1961 Rampside.

I also have smaller assorted collections of rocks and stones (common, semi-precious, and gemstone qualities), coins (unusual, commemorative, and foreign) of little value, stuffed animals (a leftover from when I was a kid), and odd trinkets and "dustcatchers" (as my dad called them). Other collections are car magazines, vinyl records, and video (usually Beta) tapes from back when they were the big thing, and, occasionally, unusual bottles.

Finally, I have a lot of auto literature dating back to at least 1963 when I first became interested in cars. Most probably aren't worth much if at all, but there are some unusual pieces buried amongst the stacks. I have one piece that is the only piece of literature that I've ever seen with the Plymouth Roadrunner Superbird appearing in it.

But my biggest collection seems to be collecting debt. My own, unfortunately.eye rolling smiley

-Mark

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: November 20, 2022 01:45PM

Playing Guitar, golfing, control line model airplanes.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car
Test Start#2 [www.youtube.com]

Date: November 20, 2022 02:48PM

Wow ! What a beautiful Mercury wagon. Cool.

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.