Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT Anyone here like vinyl records?
Posted by: jfreez ()
Date: November 17, 2022 04:03PM

Quite a while back I started to buy vinyl records when I would see them at yard sales. There was always some really good deals on some great classic rock music.
Flash forward about 15 years and they have become very collectable.

Recently I got my hands on a very high-quality Turntable and receiver from the 70S made by concept (the house brand for pacific stereo). Now I find myself in the middle of restoring a cool old HI-FI.

Just curious if anybody here is getting into this stuff too.

Side note: Im 50, so I grew up with cassettes and CDs

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT Anyone here like vinyl records?
Posted by: mhughes30 ()
Date: November 17, 2022 04:08PM

I am really into vinyl, and love buying up old records at flea markets, etc, and cleaning them up. I have noticed they have gotten much more expensive, from $1 to $10 or more over the past couple of years.

A couple of years ago I had a New Zealand company built Hi-Fi system from the 60s with tubes and all that still worked (mostly). Now, I have a modern setup at home. Having a vintage system and restoring sounds like an amazingly fun project. I am 42 so grew up with cassettes CDs, and a bit of mp3s.

Date: November 17, 2022 04:11PM

here is the setup I just got

Attachments:
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 17, 2022 04:55PM

I wouldn't call myself a "Collector", but I have an old Record Player, and a small stack of records.
I was extremely happy several years ago, when I found an old Three-Speed record player.
My wife (three years my junior), had only ever seen two-speed record players, and could not comprehend my excitement.
For the younger Gen, records didn't only come in LP(33.3rpm), and "45's"(yep you guessed it 45rpms).
Up til 1955,records were produced with 78rpms.
My folks had a mess of those.
Voice Only records (Speeches or Dictation recordings) were also made in 16 and even as low as 8 rpms!)

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: November 17, 2022 05:51PM

When I was a kid, my dad had a turntable that had a 16rpm setting. He also had some 16" long play records
intended for radio broadcast station playing. He didn't tell me what they were, I found out later. Things were diverse in those days too.

Posted by: rick4130 ()
Date: November 17, 2022 05:58PM

I love records! I even ran my own label in the 90s:

[figurefour.bandcamp.com]

Rick MacDonald
'63 700 Sedan

Posted by: 110PG ()
Date: November 17, 2022 06:01PM

Yes-Here is one if my jukeboxes I restored (not cosmetic tho) I have plenty of LPs as well. There is just something about the sound of records.

Joe Nelson
Western WI

66 Corsa Turbo CPE
84 380SL
69 Monza CPE (sons car)

Attachments:
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 17, 2022 06:37PM

YES!smileys with beer

45s 33s 78s Blue Amberolas (Edison)

Tubes, transistors, strictly mechanical, etc.thumbs up

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: arctic_man ()
Date: November 17, 2022 06:39PM

I video game I just bought came with one. Not really sure what to do with the ole frisbee.

64 Spyder
04 Jag XJR
04 Cadillac SRX
05 Grand Cherokee 5.7

Good ole Minnesota

Posted by: mhughes30 ()
Date: November 17, 2022 06:43PM

@jfreez That system looks great!

Nothing beats vinyl for pleasure of listening, in my opinion. It sounds better. It is a full continuous representation of the sound. The only thing that sounds worse I think is symphonic music, perhaps of the dynamic range limitations. But well recorded jazz albums are unbelievable. It sounds like you are sitting front row at a jazz concert :-)

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 17, 2022 06:53PM

I am not into buying this stuff, BUT I always kept my stuff from the 60s and 70s in good repair. Between my wife and I why have more vinyl than any two men could pick up. AND its all the stuff we liked then and now, including each other.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: 63ConDan ()
Date: November 17, 2022 07:22PM

This is very coinsendental.

Just dug out my stacks of wax, looking to sell. I have about 140 rock and roll LPs from mid 60's to mid 80's.

Attached is a link to a video showing all the records as I flip through.

See something you like PM me.

[www.youtube.com]

Best with sound off.and if anything is a bit of a trip back. Thanks.

Dan Central MN
1968 Convert

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: November 17, 2022 07:28PM

When CD's were first introduced, I figured that vinyl was going to disappear someday, and tried to "back up the truck" with as much new records as I could afford. It was kind of a weekend pastime for me to just go to record shops check out all the cool records. One of my "treasure's" was a special copy of Abbey Road that was remastered from the original master, and cost something like 25.00 in the 1980's! I only played it once and it was freaking unreal how sweet it sounded!
3 years ago, I told one of my co-workers about that record, as he was a huge vinyl fan. I ended up selling it to him what I paid for it. I never should have sold it!!

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car
Test Start#2 [www.youtube.com]

Date: November 17, 2022 08:34PM

I now have a whole closet full of old yard sale records (probably 6-700) and 50-60 that I went out to specifically collect, mostly rock and punk.

I kinda figured that a lot of people that appreciate old cars would Also appreciate vinyl

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: November 17, 2022 08:39PM

I have a large stash of vinyl records dating back to my early years. I was born in 1950, so grew up in the '50's and '60's. So many are probably collectable. First record I bought was a 45 of "Lucky Ladybug", don't remember the artist offhand. Have lots of records by artists like the Beach Boys, the Cowsills, the Chipmonks, CCR, Queen, even records by Leonard Nimoy (yes, of Star Trek fame), James Bond soundtracks, Bill Cosby, and on and on. I positively LOVE disco! Give me Donna Summer and Thelma Houston any day!

I did inventory them once and have an Excel list of them. Sure would like to know they are worth.

-Mark

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 17, 2022 08:52PM

Mark
First record I bought was a 45 of "Lucky Ladybug", don't remember the artist offhand.

Billy and Lillie

[www.discogs.com]

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: November 17, 2022 09:15PM

Jfreez,

Shoeing my age too.

Still have a Hitachi turntable direct drive and Pioneer Receiver and couple of Denton speakers.

Small collection of vinyl, some ours from our early years of marriage and jazz from father-in-law.

CDs don’t have the sound fidelity(warmth) of vinyl per my oldest son. When he moved to Tuscon and built up a new audio system with huge speakers ($$) and big powerful receiver. When we visited him he popped in a CD of a 12 year old female singing phenom and he cranked it up. Fidelity or not it almost broke my ear drums but the quality of her voice never cracked at full volume. It was a demonstration of quality of components and not his normal listening volume but it was pretty amazing if not too loud. I have wondered ever since then if he had a turntable with that system how a clean vinyl record would sound with his system compared to cd.

Jimc
1965 Corsa Coupe, two owner history

HACOA Member
CORSA 2017 Concours Senior Gold Award
AACA 2015 Award

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: November 17, 2022 10:18PM

I probably have a couple of hundred 33s and a couple of dozen 45s. I was never a big collector, just stuff I liked at the time. Curiously, I have about a dozen duplicates - mid 60s, really early 70s. My last girlfriend shared my taste in music, so I married her. Our collections "melded". I don't think I have bought any "vinyl", since CDs came out. Playing them is still an option, but it ties you down in the "Living Room", one side at a time. A Garrard Turntable on a "Stereo wall". I have also purchased a USB out turntable unit which can digitize them to play anywhere. It is just awkwardly time consuming, putting all the information together in real time. (Confidentially, if the local library has the CD that matches the album you own - and possess - you can check it out and "rip" it onto the computer to be listened to anywhere.) Listening to it on the Living Room Stereo sounds different from vinyl, than digital. However, occasionally, occasionally, occasionally, occasionally --- zip --- it does remind you there is a needle/groove relationship. Enjoy!

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site: [www.perfvair.com]

Located in lovely San Jose, California

Posted by: MtnVairMike ()
Date: November 18, 2022 07:47AM

Absolutely!

Got 600-700 still. Cleaned out folks in the 90s-00s for cheap too.
Go to Record Store Day every year and got my granddaughter started too.

Love the sound.

1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White
1969 Monza Convertible, 110HP-PG, Frost Green

Black Mountain,NC

Others in the menagerie...
72 Corvette Stingray, 58K miles, owned since 87
72 MGB, 112K miles, bought from original owner in 09
78 Chevy pickup, 124K miles, bought new in 78
93 Corvette, LT1/6spd, 210K miles, daily driver since 96
02, Chevy Z71, 4x4, 93K miles, my Dad's truck, inherited 2021

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: November 18, 2022 08:52AM

I too have a small collection of 33s. It ends in the early-mid 80s. Probably about a 2' stack plus I kept all of the 45s I bought in my early teen years. There may be 75-100 of these. I still have the turntable that I bought back in the 70s and it still works! I also have a device with a cheap turntable that will write CDs. I embarked on a project to 'digitize' my LPs but that is very tedious work. With the system I have, you have to tell it when the song changes. Possibly the only rarity I have is a couple of disco 45s. They are 12" records that play at 45rpm. One of them is molded in transparent red vinyl the song is "Strawberry Letter 23". Probably worth it's weight in vinyl! grinning smiley

I believe that I have the 45 with "Corvair Baby" by Paul Revere and the Raiders!

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.