Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Control arm bushing options
Posted by: KenHenry ()
Date: November 16, 2022 06:39AM

Hi everyone,

I'm refurbishing the front and rear suspension on my 65 coupe and wonder how people are feeling these days about the quality of the rubber shell bushings from our vendors? I've read at least a few concerning reports of front lower control arm bushings failing after a short time. On the other hand I don't really see any other options out there except for some bargain bushings from "A-Resto-parts" ($55 for all six front shell bushings) that I would guess are not higher quality than our vendors. Pretty sure I don't want to go nylon... Is there a new source of urethane bushings since Lon passed?

Thanks! Ken

7E0A7658-66F2-4ECB-90EB-55A31FC32753 by kenhenry_06268, on Flickr

Ken Henry, Rochester, NY USA
1965 Corvair Corsa
140 hp, 4 speed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2022 06:40AM by KenHenry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Control arm bushing options
Posted by: jamesolefjensen ()
Date: November 16, 2022 07:17AM

I went with Clarks rubber bushing when I did my front end 10 years ago. I've since put on about 50k miles. The uppers and the lower inners are holding up OK. It might be all the back road rallys I do (i.e. countless potholes at 40 mph), but the original style rod bushings did not last long. The Nova/Chevy II style rod bushings that I swapped in are holding up much better.

It looks like Clark does not carry the "high performance" rod bushings but I am fairly certain they are the same as the early (62-67) Nova.

[ssl.corvair.com]

[gmclassics.com]

James
65 Corsa
SF Bay Area

Date: November 16, 2022 07:58AM

Thanks James, it is good to hear that some have had good luck with them. I also see energy suspension 3.7105G (62-72 Nova) as a possible substitute for the stock style front control rod bushings. Best, Ken

1965 Corvair Corsa
140 hp, 4 speed

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 16, 2022 08:11AM

MOOG still makes a lot of control arm bushings for old cars, I'm not sure what the number would be

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: PequotMonza64 ()
Date: November 16, 2022 11:09AM

Just general experience that may not apply to Corvairs...

On my Volvos, a lot of people get premature bushing failure (especially control arms) because they tighten them down without the weight of the car on them. Then when you lower the car, the bushing is stressed (twisted) pretty far in one direction just sitting there rather than being in the center of its range.

Again, that's just general bushing experience.

Also, I try very hard to avoid any rubber products from China because the standards and QC are very poor. Just about any other place in the world seems to be better.

I don't know where Moog gets its rubber, but I have had good experience with their suspension parts. Even Volvo OEM parts for the cars from the 1990's aren't being sourced from the same manufacturer or country of origin they originally came from. Just because an OEM Volvo part from 1993 has lasted 190k miles doesn't mean that a new OEM Volvo part recently sourced by Volvo will last that long.

Glen in Ohio
1964 Monza Sedan Powerglide 110 hp
Low mileage survivor, stock as delivered
Records back to 1967 in Pequot Lakes, Minnesota
Original dealer Mike Turk's in East Liverpool, Ohio
Located in Cleveland, Ohio area

Date: November 16, 2022 12:28PM

Thanks Glen, that makes sense to me. I've done some reading (too much) and whether the original bushings were bonded appears to be a controversial topic! Several state emphatically that they were bonded while others (Clark's, JamesD, see link below) find no evidence of bonding. All seem to agree that the new replacements are all unbonded, but it still seems like good practice to finish torquing them at ride height! Ken

[corvaircenter.com]

1965 Corvair Corsa
140 hp, 4 speed

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 16, 2022 01:05PM

I've never seen any new ones that weren't bonded. Old ones often come loose or maybe they never were?

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 138 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: jamesolefjensen ()
Date: November 17, 2022 06:40PM

On the rear camber rod/strut rod bushing, I went with Clark steel shell bushings. They take a lot of force to press in (the shell deforms as they go in). I used a ball joint tool (a C clamp on steroids, basically).

I put them in about the same time as the front bushings. (~10 years/50k miles). They are holding up OK also.

[ssl.corvair.com]

James
65 Corsa
SF Bay Area

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: November 18, 2022 04:50PM

I have the Urethane to make the bushings but lack of time has put a damper on that. I think I have the 78 durometer black urethane. What I have done is make the insert prtion to fit into the old shell and you use your old center steel tube.

I do have to say that you need to use a knife type bit at high spindle rpm and it really makes a mess!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.