Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
EM 3spd
Posted by: jwilsman ()
Date: November 15, 2022 12:30PM

I'm looking at buying a 1963 3spd coupe. Is the EM 3spd synchronized in 1st thru 3dr gears? or just 2nd and 3rd?
I've never had a 3spd before but I seem to remember the 3spds 1st gear was not. Also, would it be a clean swap to put in a 4spd instead? Or any advantages having a 4spd over a 3spd. ? - Thank you for any responses. - Jeff

-Jeff
St Louis, MO
SMCC
60 700 Sedan,80hp,PG
64 Monza Vert,110hp,4spd
64 Greenbrier 6 door,95hp,4spd
66 MGB GT

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EM 3spd
Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: November 15, 2022 12:40PM

No syncro in first. To install a 4sp you would need the 4sp trans, 4sp front crossmember, the matching input shaft and a notch would need to be added to the rear suspension crossmember to allow for the longer 4sp trans. If you buy the car and it is a running and driving car I would drive it this way for a while and then decide if you want to switch. You might be happy just leaving it alone after you get used to it.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: November 15, 2022 01:29PM

There is one more modification that typically needs to be done. The suspension crossmember (sometimes referred to as the "K" member) needs clearance/relief cut into it due to the added length of the 4spd. Almost every PG or 3spd early car will need that done before the 4spd can be installed.

After the relief area is made then the hole must be welded for strength. If you look at the 64 convert in your sig line w/4spd you will see what I am referring to. Also doing a 'search' here will find other threads about this same change.

Several have taken this opportunity to just swap the rear suspension from a 64 into tjer earlier body and gain the advantages of the 64 design. To complete the car a 64 front suspension should be added so the sway bar in front compliments the transverse spring in the rear.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: November 15, 2022 10:49PM

If you decide to install a 4-speed and modify your existing cross-member, I wrote a how-to article showing how to do it without cutting a hole or fabricating a patch. PM with your email and I'll send it to you.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: November 16, 2022 05:39AM

You can talk yourself into a non-synchro as being old timey or quaint.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: November 16, 2022 08:27AM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can talk yourself into a non-synchro as being old timey or quaint.

Yeah, non-synchro can be idiosyncratic smiling smiley. All 1960 manual trans were non-synchro first gear after all.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 16, 2022 10:06AM

All three speeds were non-synchro through the 1965 model year, even in full sized Chevrolets.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: November 16, 2022 01:56PM

I sure like the fully synchronized 3 speed found in the 66-69s. Was never much of a fan of the 65 and earlier ones.

Posted by: PGVair ()
Date: November 16, 2022 06:19PM

Can 1st gear be double clutched while still rolling to avoid grinding the gears?

Wade

Posted by: Snick ()
Date: November 16, 2022 06:38PM

You can rev match (float if you've driven a tractor trailer) but good luck they are small gears. BUT 2nd gear can be used from a stop even as long as you're not on a hill.

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: November 16, 2022 07:58PM

I have a good 3 speed, input shaft, and front cross member that worked great. I replaced it with a 4 speed as that was orig to the 64 convertible. I have a video with me shifting and driving with the 3 speed done the last day I drove it...about a couple of months ago.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 16, 2022 08:17PM

Wade
Can 1st gear be double clutched while still rolling to avoid grinding the gears?

YES! Just like all older cars with sliding gear transmissions were driven before synchronizers were developed.

You should have driven that 65 Bel Air I had that second gear synchros were GONE. Learned quick how to double clutch.eye popping smiley Hey, a free car is a free car!

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: November 16, 2022 08:24PM

Once you get the hang of it, it is no big deal. Just like driving a manual trans, once you have the hang of it no big deal.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.