Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
My Rampside
Posted by: ac1948 ()
Date: November 15, 2022 11:30AM

Now live on BAT

Jerry Murray
Charleston, SC

63 Rampside, PG,110

65 Monza convertible, pg,ac,tele,am/fm

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My Rampside
Posted by: 63ConDan ()
Date: November 15, 2022 12:37PM

here is a link:
[bringatrailer.com]

And hopfull the OP's photo can be resized.

Dan Central MN
1968 Convert

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: November 15, 2022 02:46PM

You go Jerry...hoping for $25K or more.

Rampsides have been hot on BaT lately.

Date: November 15, 2022 03:16PM

Thanks Phil, it's a good truck

Jerry Murray
Charleston, SC

63 Rampside, PG,110

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: November 15, 2022 04:23PM

I tried to post a comment on the BAT site but it won't let me, so I'll post it here.
" That's an interesting ash tray layout. Does the left knob do the volume & the one on the right do the tuning ? How does one know what station the radio is tuned too ?" LOL.

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2022 04:24PM by DOUG WARD.

Date: November 15, 2022 04:53PM

I put a Spyder dash in at one time so the wiper switch and lighter were relocated. The speedometer failed on the first trip so I put the original dash back in.
Actually they are in a more accessible place now.

Jerry Murray
Charleston, SC

63 Rampside, PG,110

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: November 15, 2022 05:45PM

Nice. Lets see the bids go up and up.thumbs up

Corventure Dave

Date: November 22, 2022 09:39AM

Only two and one half hours to go!

Jerry Murray
Charleston, SC

63 Rampside, PG,110

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: November 22, 2022 10:02AM

Once again, ralph-who says he's not interested in this sale and won't be bidding but then proceeds to pick the Rampside and presentation apart. That's got to have a negative affect on the bids.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2022 10:05AM by azdave.

Date: November 22, 2022 10:18AM

And totally wrong on several observations

Jerry Murray
Charleston, SC

63 Rampside, PG,110

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: November 22, 2022 11:47AM

ralf-who is a member of this forum.

Back in August he was excoriated for hurting the sales of Corvairs on BaT:
click HERE for that thread

He plainly stated "OK, message recieved" after we told him the painful truth of his actions.

Apparently, his ego is more important than keeping his promise.

I'm betting that he will say "Well, what did you expect me to do when another commenter requested my opinion and assessment??"

Good luck with the sale, Jerry!!

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
Heart of Georgia Corvair Club Webmaster
Springfest Webmaster

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: November 22, 2022 12:08PM

Congratulations Jerry!

That was fun watching the end of the auction when Eurospecd made that last minute bid to $19,963!

Are you happy with the results, Jerry?

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
Heart of Georgia Corvair Club Webmaster
Springfest Webmaster

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Date: November 22, 2022 12:57PM

I thought it would go a bit higher but I am satisfied with the sale.

Jerry Murray
Charleston, SC

63 Rampside, PG,110

Posted by: ralf-who ()
Date: November 25, 2022 08:16PM

What is your beef? User E367M44 asked me a question and I answered. For the record, here is what I said:

(start of BaT post)

@E367M44 Sure, glad to. From the engine video, it sounds very good. The walkaround video is pointless; the opportunity to demonstrate that doors, windows, ramp, tailgate and engine accesses open and close is missed, as is a demonstration that all the electrical components work, including the lights and signals. The driving video, too, gives us no information other than the vehicle moves under its own power. And at 0:50, there is what seems to be a front end creak that shouldn’t be there.

From the pictures, we see a very nice paint job with no obvious flaws, except that the door striker has been painted over (pic 63) but correctly masked on the other door (pic 69). Door jambs, a common issue on Corvair 95s look excellent, but new paint can cover a lot. It looks like a very good paint job.

Generator has been upgraded to alternator (pic 80).

Same picture shows a non-truck rear housing with the oil filler upright, but pic 96 shows a truck rear housing. I guess the engine was swapped between the pictures. The non-truck housing is OK but it means that filling oil can only be done by lifting the engine lid, not by using the wide vertical door shown in pic 96. Personally, I’d’ve moved the truck rear housing to the replacement engine as it is a direct swap.

Looks like there is a homemade shifter (pic 105) instead of the stock one on the dash. Yes, the dash is for a stick shift truck with no provision for the stock gear selector. But sourcing the correct dash has to be easier and cheaper than modifying the shifter. I don’t know enough about vans to be able to tell from the pics alone if this started life as a stick trans ’95, but I suspect that it did. Pic 65 shows a cutout in the rug that would accommodate a clutch pedal. And then there is the stick shift dash.

The A/C condenser is visible in pic 87 with a fan mounted above it. I think this exposes the condenser to unnecessary road hazards. I personally (my opinion only) dislike this installation for that reason.

The lower engine shrouds are in-place but the thermostats and doors have been removed. See my rant number 23 from any one of a number of prior auctions.

My overall impression is very good, though, this appears to be a very solid rampside and good looking. The caveat is that this judgement is made from pictures only. If I were looking for a PG van, I’d be bidding; the list of the things I’d fix is short.

@Ssvairnut You have direct experience with 95s. Please fill in what I’ve missed. Thx

(end of BaT post).

Before anybody passes judgement, please note the places where I said

1) From the engine video, it sounds very good.
2) From the pictures, we see a very nice paint job with no obvious flaws
3) My overall impression is very good, though, this appears to be a very solid rampside and good looking.
And here is the kicker:
4) f I were looking for a PG van, I’d be bidding; the list of the things I’d fix is short.

I offered a comment regardiung the rear housing that was refuted.

You never once acknowledged that the car was a manual trans car converted to auto and no attempt was made to accomodate the shifter on the dash. Instead, you cobbled together an ad hoc shifter on the floor, something that looks like it was made by a pre-schooler. Feast your eyes on picture 105, everyone, and then ask yourselves if that is commensurate with the rest of the car.

[bringatrailer.com]

At the end of the post I invite another viewer, someone who has substantial knowledge of 95s to opine on the car, which he did.

And for everyone who provides a knee-jerk reaction to anti ralf-who posts, be my guest and refute my comments on BaT.

I'll also remind everyone that for every transaction on BaT there might be a seller that is unhappy but there are also buyers looking for opinions. Without mentioning the shifter or the thermostats, a newbie buyer is gonna be in for a big surprise.

65 CORSA CPE, 65 CORSA CVT, 66 CORSA CPE
LM mid327, LM rear215, 61 LAKEWOOD
(one more and I become eligible for free psychiatric care for life)

66 Toronado. 65 Starfire, 99 Blazer P-O-S, very possibly the worst car I've ever owned.

NEVER drive the same make/model car as your kid - what breaks on his somehow goes missing on mine.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 25, 2022 10:05PM

Well Dean, you WERE correct!
He said it!

Ralfie boy, you blew it, and now you are trying to justify your misbehavior.
What's our Beef? You ask?
Well, for starters, last time You told us that you got the point, and then you just went right out and did it again.
What were you supposed to do? Well, for one thing, you should have just kept your fat mouth SHUT!
When E367M44 asked you for your opinion, you should have just replied that, "Ssvairnut has direct experience with 95's that I don't have. He could probably speak with more authority than I." And just leave it at that.
BUT NOOOOOO!
You just had to jump out there and show the world just how big of a "Corvair Expert" you are, and start ripping apart a fellow Forum Member's vehicle.
Shame be upon YOU!
That kind of behavior is lower than dirt.
You are not worth the time it takes to correct, or refute.
GOOD-DAY SIR!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: November 26, 2022 04:46AM

Check out ralf's forum presence and his posts in the 13 years he has been registered. Hint 13 1/2 years and 57 posts. He has some ripping posts regarding the carbs and direct heating system. One forum member posted the following over 10 years ago: "I think Ralpf is J3m's son???" Might be true.

Reading his posts remind me of Pedigo, JEM and a couple others. I may be a tad cynical here and in the past, But I am more supportive of the forum and Corvair owners, then what I see here with this proclaimed 55 years Corvair owner. I only have 13 years of ownership and 8 years posting here. I like my Corvair as is with my tweaks for reliability and safety.

It was a very nice Rampside that Jerry sold. How many here have a perfectly factory stock Corvair. If yours isn't a perfect stock corvair, then your comments should not be expressed. Corvairs are meant to be enjoyed and modified to the owners needs and finances.

His postings I treat just like Pedigos, J3m and a couple others. Nothing to bother reading as his comments will not be helpful at all to support our Corvair. Too bad he tried to mess up a sale of a forum member.

Date: November 26, 2022 05:11AM

I'm sorry you are so angry about this.

I said in my posts, FOUR TIMES that it was a very good looking vehicle. I also said the what I considered 'defects' were minor and eacily fixable.

My last comment on this topic:

I pointed out two flaws. The thermostats which you addressed, and the shifter which you ignored completely.

Not only did you fail to accommodate the shifter in the dash, but you pieced together a workaround that is so amateurish that it detracts from the quality of the build which is clearly good and I said so.

Everything else on the car was good to excellent - the shifter was brutally bad. No Corvair person on the planet would give that a passing grade.

The shifter looks like something out of a low-quality kit car You made the mistake of including the photo and then ignoring the comment regarding it. Perhaps the low selling price is not due to pointing out the shifter but that it was like that in the first place.

My challenge to all Forum readers is this:

Look at picture 105 and answer this question. Given the quality shown in that picture, what do you suppose is waiting for the buyer that has not been photographed?

Attachments:
Date: November 26, 2022 05:23AM

It is NOT your place to point out flaws in public on someone elses car. Unless they publicly asked you to do that. Corvairs owners will know the flaws. If you knew Jerry, then you would know the prode he has in his Corvairs.

How many FCs have car engines in them? Who knows, but everybody can tell when it is an FC engine in an FC. Your pitiful picking the flaws is helpful to no one, but yourself and your ego. You think people are saying you are all wise in Corvairs. Heck no, you are a egotisical person with no respect for others in the Corvair group. Can't say family as you would pick that apart too.

Even you car has flaws. Please post as many photos of your car as Jerry did. That way it will be fair for Jerry to point out all the flaws on your Corvair (if you have one now).

Anyway, I am glad I got your post number up to 58 now. Hit a nerve is all I can say.

Date: November 26, 2022 05:27AM

Matt / Dan:

Time to close this one down. Sorry if I helped take it off Jerry's Rampside. But it needed to be said.

Date: November 26, 2022 05:28AM

The comment,

"Corvairs are meant to be enjoyed and modified to the owners needs and finances", is absolutely true, IF the vehicle was being offer to ONLY Corvair owners. But this vehicle was not offered for sale on this forum. It was being offered on a public forum and the buying pool is made up of 'ordinary folk'.

On this forum, the shifter is excusable. On BaT is shouldn't be and I called it out for that reason.

The seller should be ashamed to have presented an otherwise exceptional car with such an amateurish job on the shifter.

I've been here long enough to be able to tolerate the criticism.

Attachments:
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.