Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
1963 engine swap and other questions-Need Help in VA.
Posted by: Snick ()
Date: November 14, 2022 10:35PM

What parts do I need to put a 1960 engine into a 1963 car? Pilot bushing looks to be good, I'm guessing it was replaced when I was messing with it 10 or so years ago, I'm going to need a generator bolt/bushings, also going to have to call the junkyard in PA to see if they have the rod from the cross shaft to the carb on one of them, and new rubber pipes from the air cleaner to the carbs...anyone know where I could get new bolts for that center mounted air cleaner, and a completely rebuilt choke assembly? Choke system on this was gutted in the 80's (Before I was born) to be able to put a choke cable on it and I have no idea how to "rebuild" it, there's even what looks like a fuel line coming off the choke itself. Also does it need the ring around the fan for the choke system to function? That's been removed and fan belt guards have been put on.

Also since I'm under the car taking stuff off, where would the differential and transmission leak from? Car is a 1963 with a 3 speed and BO on the differential, it's pretty frankensteined together on the drivetrain so I doubt the trans or diff are a 63.

Also, can I convert air heat over to gas heat? Said junkyard in PA sells rebuilt gas heaters, and if this 63 engine is going to be out of commission for awhile (It will be) I'd like to have heat.

Swap is being done because I put synthetic oil into my engine and it started a rod knock, then I tried messing with the valves when it got bad and I must have really broke it because nothing on the pass side of that engine has compression and it literally blows out gas on that side. That engine is going to need a rebuild probably.

I'll see if I can post a picture or two from my phone in a few minutes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2022 06:29PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1963 engine swap and other questions
Date: November 14, 2022 10:57PM

ibb.co/2n3738S
ibb.co/kKTcGxB
ibb.co/nBKDWr5
ibb.co/YT1ZPVZ
ibb.co/3pmtTM9

There's pictures of both the 60 engine and the diff/trans, couldn't get the size smaller than 500kb to attach them.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: November 15, 2022 05:14AM

The line on the choke is a heat riser from the exhaust manifold so the choke opens as the engine gets warm.
The ring on the cooling air inlet is instead of the damper doors below on the cooling air outlet on '61 and later.
You can put a gas heater in anything given some time. I'd have to think about how you'd convert a '60 engine to the engine air direct heat.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: November 15, 2022 07:27AM

Ah so that line was probably cut. I'm not too sure I'd want air heat, I have stinger headers I want to put on here, but the logs wouldn't be too bad in the winter, any ideas on converting it? I'd rather keep this engine in there if it runs right. And Clark's said gas heat wasn't an option on 63 so that calls for cutting metal for the exhaust and probably hot air ducts from the trunk.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: November 15, 2022 09:24AM

First welcome to CCF. You are getting into some work details that aren't done every day of the week with gas heater install mostly. Plus many 1960 parts are that year only, things such as the choke assembly come to mind. It would be handy to know someone close to you with 60 parts.

You should give your location because someone reading this may be close to you for help and parts.

You should also join the local Corvair club if one is near you. Members are willing to help and again many have parts just begging to be installed on someones' car. Look here: www.corvair.org That is CORSA website and the parent organization of the local clubs. Frankly you should join CORSA too and support the organization that supports all of the events around the country.

Good luck getting your 63 on the road again.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Date: November 15, 2022 03:16PM

I'm in central VA...I have a 60 car here that engine is out of but the body needs a lot of work, been sitting in the rain about 30 years, but the only parts still there I think would be the gas heater, related to this.

I might eventually fix that one since it was my grandad's, but that would probably be a lifelong project.

Date: November 15, 2022 04:04PM

I can't edit my last post, but Reston VA would probably be the closest one to me. Definitely going to join, looking at that groups facebook page it's basically selling/exchanging parts, fixing cars, and sharing info.

And I HAD thought CORSA and everything Corvair related went the way of the dodo in the 80's except a few hundred people (As it seems to be with Scouts or most older cars/trucks.)

Date: November 15, 2022 04:05PM

There are readers/posters here in Virginia.

There are clubs in Prince George/Reston/Salem/Virginia Beach

Change your thread title to 'need help in Va

Good luck

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4

Date: November 15, 2022 05:55PM

How do I change the title?

Re: 1963 engine swap and other questions-Need Help in VA.
Date: November 15, 2022 06:44PM

Look at your first entry. Our moderator Matt Nall changed it.

Thanks Matt you are always great

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4

Re: 1963 engine swap and other questions-Need Help in VA.
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 15, 2022 08:02PM

Well, I'm late to the party, but here after title change.grinning smiley

We have club members (several clubs) all over what we call Central Virginia.winking smiley

PM me with your location if you do not want to post it here.

Swap is being done because I put synthetic oil into my engine and it started a rod knock, then I tried messing with the valves when it got bad and I must have really broke it because nothing on the pass side of that engine has compression and it literally blows out gas on that side. That engine is going to need a rebuild probably.

This issue can still just be a bad valve adjustment. Especially since it was the last thing you did. Another set of experienced eyes would be good at this point.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.