Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
A Corvair in the snow.
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: November 13, 2022 08:44PM

Now this is an argument for using your car in the winter!

[www.youtube.com]

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A Corvair in the snow.
Posted by: gbullman ()
Date: November 14, 2022 02:49AM

I used to call it carmobiling back in the day, I would get my 65 Corvair out way before the plows if possible.

I would never subject my current car to the salt and slop around here but I do know it is more than capable in snowy conditions.

In this sense it was more fun when it was just a cheap car.

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Posted by: arctic_man ()
Date: November 14, 2022 04:59AM

Ha, you thinking of ideas after getting some snow up in Fargo, Eric?

64 Spyder
04 Jag XJR
04 Cadillac SRX
05 Grand Cherokee 5.7

Good ole Minnesota

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: November 14, 2022 06:53AM

That ad is hilarious.

Of course any compact car could have made that downhill trip in the hard-packed snow on those skinny tires of the day.

Posted by: John Luscinski ()
Date: November 14, 2022 07:06AM

Its easy going down hill.. But what about going up hill... I think all cars are easy going down..! LOL.. Love to see a video of one going up hill!

"Been there and done that! Well Not everything.smiling smiley
65 500 2dr Coupe
63 Greenbrier

Date: November 14, 2022 10:54AM

Gary, I know what you mean. The more money I put in my car the less reckless I am with it. And I hate that.

arctic_man
I wouldn't feel as reckless as I would in Minnesota--North Dakota doesn't use salt.

flat_six
I'd just like to know how they got it up there.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2022 10:55AM by playerpage.

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: November 14, 2022 11:52AM

We live in the mountains and my fathers Corvair business was at our ranch, in the 70's - 80's customers when they were done with their cars would bring them to our ranch for retirement, my Brother and I would check out new arrivals to see if they ran, most had simple problems and it was game on, We then used them as dune buggies, we went off jumps, hill climbed, off road raced them through the desert, we TRASHED these cars and can tell you they are tough! We would put spiked snow tires on the back and I can tell you they ripped in the snow and mud, I made it up a muddy hill in my 69 that 2 jeeps were stuck on, I went off a jump in a 65 and landed so hard the rear shocks broke though the upper mounts and the car became a low rider as the shocks were stuck in the hole! if Only we had go pro's back then! Here is me sitting in my 69 listening to the 8 track player!

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Attachments:
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 14, 2022 01:37PM

I remember when I was just a kid, I read an article in one of the Popular Mags of the day.
The particular article discussed Europeans were running small compact cars down Bobsled chutes.
They called it "Autobobbing".
I have never seen it in the Olympics, so I guess it never caught on too big. sad smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: November 14, 2022 02:39PM

Several of the shell 4000/Canadian Winter Rally/Canadian-American raly runs in 1961-63 were either won by Corvairsor Corvair placed high in the finishes.

I realize the winter rallys were held on snow/ice cover roads but at speed instead of casual going downhill on a ski slope.

A combination of David E David Jr (boss) and Denise McCluggage (driver) were the top stars with Corvairs in 1961 and maybe 1962. There were pictures and advertising showing the early Cpe on the snow covered road.

The winter rally competition continued with the LM Corvairs too and the only name that immediately comes to mind is Jim Pettingill who used to author stories about his Corvairs and others in that group.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: November 14, 2022 10:41PM

I've had every type of car, conventional front engine and rear engine (both types rear drive), front engine front drive, and even "all" wheel drive front engine, and NOTHING but nothing goes as well in snow as a Corvair.

Even had a "famed" VW (the big 412 4 door sedan) with SNOW tires on it. Got stuck in a snow bank once, went back and got out the Corvair with regular tread tires on it, drove through the snow bank, hooked onto the VW, and pulled it out with the Corvair. So much for the "famed" VW ability in the snow.

Only thing that seems to even come close to matching the Corvair is the "all" wheel drive, but even then, it's not as much fun as the Corvair.

Now if only they wouldn't rust out badly (as everything from the '60's did).

-Mark

P.S. BTW, the air heater in the LM Corvair is phenomenal. While in college, I'd take my lunch break between classes by warming it up, then shutting it off. I'd sit in the car for up to 40 minutes, eating lunch and enjoying running the heater without running the engine after the initial warmup. grinning smiley I was always toasty warm! Can't do that in a waterpumper.

Date: November 15, 2022 09:41AM

Here's a link to the November issue of the Great Plains Corvair Club newsletter. In it, we reprint the article about the Corvair winning the Canadian Winter Rally from the May 1963 Motor Trend.

GPCC Special Vol. 1 Issue 11

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: November 15, 2022 10:19AM

About 15 years ago my wife was stuck on our driveway in her Volvo XC70 (snow).
My 63 Rampside PG went right around her up to the road and did not get stuck.
Kind of ruffled her feathers as I recall (LOL, thanks for bringing back that memory Eric).

Posted by: brentc ()
Date: November 15, 2022 10:36AM

I actually borrowed from Shell head office in Calgary the Shell 4000 films and screened them for the local Corvair guys on a projector in 1991 at a meeting.

Best part was when they showed the drivers having breakfast at the cafe in Saskatchewan, the entire audience groaned seeing the closeup of the eggs fried in bacon fat!

Brent

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.