Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
LM Front Suspension Strut rod nuts
Posted by: jVairat2000 ()
Date: November 12, 2022 09:10PM

I am currently in process of restoring a 1965 Corsa. I bought replacement strut rods/"hockey sticks" for both sides of the front suspension from Clark's. I also bought new nuts that according to Clark's are "self-locking". When I got the 2 strut rods, I wire brushed the paint off and added some anti-seize per Clark's directions. Once I tried threading the nuts on, they would not thread onto the brand new rods. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the threads or the nuts themselves. Not sure if I'm missing something very obvious, but the nuts will not thread on and I was trying for over an hour.

Some people in other forums have had issue with these nuts and getting them to thread onto rods or loosening the original ones. I had no problems with the original ones, but these ones from Clark's are causing issues. I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with these nuts/rods from Clark's and if they have any suggestions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2022 09:10PM by jVairat2000.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM Front Suspension Strut rod nuts
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 12, 2022 10:30PM

Welcome to the CCF!

If you didn't have rusted/locked up threads on the old rods re-use them.

FYI..... you'll never get any self-locking nut in the right orientation to thread on since one end is too small....what makes it self lock!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: November 12, 2022 11:13PM

Know nothing about Clark's replacements.

As far as I can recall the stock nuts are not self locking.

The nuts are used to adjust caster and moving them back and forth would "defeat" the purpose of a self-locking nut - in my opinion.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: November 13, 2022 02:44AM

If the nuts have a dot on each flat, That is the indication it is a lock nut. you might even see a slight inwards deflection of the threads.

Nut will thread down close to those dots, there the nut is slightly deformed. So now you have to wrench it onto the rod into the position you need it in.

Al
Georgia

Attachments:
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: November 13, 2022 06:50AM

I don't remember offhand what the thread size of those rods is but did buy a die years ago. If I was having the problem you describe I would be checking the rod and nut with a thread gauge to make sure they're the same.
I would never ever use a steel lock top nut on there because I believe they ruin the threads a little. I've used them on a one time only basis for header bolts with 2 bolt flat flanges.
With all the trouble there usually is getting the brake reaction rod nuts loose I can't imagine using something that makes it more difficult. Maybe a plastic top locking nut but then again I don't remember if they're a common "fine thread" size.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: November 13, 2022 08:44AM

Yeah I fought those Clarks lock nuts on my cleaned (and chased) original strut rods. Slathered them with anti seize and did not use power tools. Still a battle. Ended up using the original nuts in the forward position and only 2 of the new nuts near the rod end side of the bushing.

By the way, the threads are 11/16-16.

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: November 13, 2022 01:30PM

Lane66m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If the nuts have a dot on each flat, That is the indication it is a lock nut. you might even see a slight inwards deflection of the threads.
>
> Nut will thread down close to those dots, there the nut is slightly deformed. So now you have to wrench it onto the rod into the position you need it in.

Yep, you are correct. Looked under the car and the nuts have the "divot".

Do not remember it being difficult, but it was a long time ago.

Could not find the rod / nut in the parts book?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2022 01:30PM by RobertC.

Date: November 13, 2022 01:31PM

It has come to my attention that locking nuts were on there originally so they don't come loose since that could be catastrophic.
I still haven't heard if the thread is just regular fine thread. GM had a way of using unusual threads sometimes so folks wouldn't put just anything in critical places.
The big problem we have is that they're often rusted from being in the same place for 50 years.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: November 13, 2022 01:47PM

P&A 30 grp 6.172 part# 3791855 thread is 11/16x18

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 13, 2022 02:01PM

They are environmentally locked after the first winter where I live

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: jVairat2000 ()
Date: November 13, 2022 06:16PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your advice. I ended up bolting the strut rod to the lower control arm and used a breaker bar to generate the torque necessary. Lot of elbow grease but it threaded on without any issues.

Date: November 14, 2022 04:39AM

Good deal. Sort of a Primer for me as I need to go after all suspension bushings in a 63 this week.
First of the good times will be getting the yokes off the axles but the powertrain is out for some elbow room.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: November 14, 2022 08:56AM

Deep Creep or Break Away are the two best penetrants to use. Once you have the nut moving, loosen, tighten, loosen, tighten, so the rust doesn't bind up the nut as it comes off.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 14, 2022 07:41PM

Aerokroil is my favorite along with the old Acetone/ATF in a pump gun. Even just soaking a joint with ATF alone over weeks does great.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: November 28, 2022 01:29PM

I had to heat these nuts up red to get them off. I chased the threads with a die. I thought for sure my local bolt store would have regular 11/16-18 nuts instead of the original extra wide ones but they do not. It looks like I have 3 originals and one regular here.
I see Clarks is out of these nuts, California Corvairs too. I see someone has original type on Ebay listed for Novas at $18 each plus $5 shipping. (gulp)

I wonder about using 2 jam nuts in place of one original nut (8 total). They're only listed as Grade 2 and I expect a jam nut is narrow. Looks like they were used for locking tie rod ends on early Fords.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2022 01:32PM by JimBrandberg.

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: November 28, 2022 01:56PM

You might try with Jeff at the Ranch. He does have new and used parts.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: November 28, 2022 02:38PM

Do a search for RP15259 for the lock nut

Advance auto is showing $8.29, shipping for four is 9.99

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
62' Wagon rebuild MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2022 02:42PM by toms73novass.

Date: November 28, 2022 03:42PM

I got these from California Corvair. Just wire wheel cleaned them and voila. One of the inner nuts came right off, the other required heat and lots of effort. Chased that one with a die.

Gotta love our southwestern US parts!

Posted by: KenHenry ()
Date: November 28, 2022 04:17PM

Note, the outer nut is taller than the inner nut.

Ken Henry, Rochester, NY USA
1965 Corvair Corsa
140 hp, 4 speed

Date: November 28, 2022 04:25PM

KenHenry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Note, the outer nut is taller than the inner nut.

That is true. Also, the outer (rearward) nut is a locknut, while the inner is free running (when it's not rusted on lol).

Mike

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.