Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
setting Timing for first start procedure
Posted by: blkcorvair ()
Date: October 27, 2022 06:50AM

Anyone have a good procedure to set initial timing before first start / Breakin start of new rebuild?

I had a an idea in my head, not sure if im on the right track.

1) the car is on Tru TDC and verified currently. (Not 180 out)

2) Prime oil pump and than install distributor point to #1.

3) i was going to rotate and leave the engine set to approx 12*BTC. Than hook a test light to a constant positive, and use the points wire normally to the coil as a ground. My thinking is if I slowy rotate the distributor until the light just comes on while th eengine is set at 12*btc that should get me very close?

If there is a better procedure, please let me know. This is what my mind came up with in my

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: setting Timing for first start procedure
Posted by: Richard ()
Date: October 27, 2022 08:52AM

1) Tru TDC - generally called TDC Compression

2) Prime oil pump - done while turning engine by hand two turns. This is the time to check for oil leaks.

3) rotate the distributor until the light just comes on - called Static Timing. I just use a spare spark plug on wire #1, Key ON, turn dist until plug fires. The test light is a common VW bug timing method.

4) Wrap rag around air nozzle set at 15 psi and give a couple short puffs into fuel tank until carbs have fuel. Check accelerator pump operation. This fills fuel lines, fuel pump and carbs before you try to start engine and allows you to check for fuel leaks.

5)Engine should start on first click.

Your single concern at that point is cam break-in.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 27, 2022 10:32AM

I set mine at 12° BTDC also, as blkcorvair does. Not 0°

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: October 27, 2022 04:07PM

Yes set the engine on the timing you want not TDC. The spark happens when the points open so wouldn't the light go out when you are turning the dist?

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: October 29, 2022 05:36AM

RexJohnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes set the engine on the timing you want not TDC. The spark happens when the points open so wouldn't the light go out when you are turning the dist?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

TIMES 2!!!!!!!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: October 29, 2022 06:41AM

Guys, in #3 he said he was setting the dist at 12* BTDC. In #1, he was just letting us know, he knew to set it at TDC compression and not TDC exhaust.
He's got this.
I just added that it is a good idea to rotate the engine while priming the oil pump to fill the lifters and that priming the fuel system helps for a very quick startup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2022 06:43AM by Richard.

Posted by: PequotMonza64 ()
Date: October 29, 2022 07:50AM

There are also two tiny registration marks where the distributor body meets the housing. These were reportedly used by personnel at the factory as an initial starting point when running the engines for the first time.

I don't think this contradicts anything others have posted.I mention it mostly as an historical point. I know those marks are present on my 1964 110hp engine. They are just lightly scribed lines.

Glen in Ohio
1964 Monza Sedan Powerglide 110 hp
Low mileage survivor, stock as delivered
Records back to 1967 in Pequot Lakes, Minnesota
Original dealer Mike Turk's in East Liverpool, Ohio
Located in Cleveland, Ohio area

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.