Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Mecum auction
Posted by: jfreez ()
Date: October 14, 2022 04:12PM

a friend back east just texted me and said he thought he seen my old corvair on a mecum auction broadcast today. He was in a bar so he didn't know the channel or what auction it was.
:
Anybody Know what event that was? it was around 8:00PM eastern time.

Now he doesn't know much about cars, so I doubt it was my old car, But I would like to check it out.

Here is a pic of my old car if anyone seen an auction with something close.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mecum auction
Posted by: cschneider53 ()
Date: October 14, 2022 04:25PM

Don't know about the auction but the sequence seems off on that plate. Wouldn't an "E" be in 63?

Posted by: 110PG ()
Date: October 14, 2022 04:36PM

Mecum is in Chicago. You can watch the replay on Motortrend

Joe Nelson
Western WI

66 Corsa Turbo CPE
84 380SL
69 Monza CPE (sons car)

Date: October 14, 2022 04:38PM

I am sure the plates on my car were not original. I bought it from a local classic car place in 1990, they probably added them

Date: October 14, 2022 04:51PM

I never thought about the starting letter as an indication of year, but since it was brought up I found this info below. does anybody know more accurately what years had what letters???

The 1963-69 series plate began alphabetically, with three letters beginning with AAA and ending in 1969 with approximately ZZW. Consequently, you can reasonably estimate the approximate year the plate was issued by the beginning three letters. For example, a plate beginning with D,E, F, G or H would or could have been issued in 1964. T, U or V would have been issued in 1967. W and X, 1968, Y and Z, 1969 and so on. So now, an entire era of great classic cars can run registered, correct year, original California plates and stickers (if you can find them).

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: October 20, 2022 10:50PM

My newly acquired original California black plated 1966 Barracuda has VAP as its first 3 letters

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: October 21, 2022 03:02AM

We need pictures Mark!!!

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: October 21, 2022 05:56AM

Most of the Mecum auctions are available to view on You Tube on demand.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 21, 2022 07:05PM

solo2r Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My newly acquired original California black plated 1966 Barracuda has VAP as its first 3 letters

Is it not possible, that it wasn't sold until 1967?

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: NMCarNut ()
Date: October 21, 2022 08:16PM

No, the Barracuda was introduced in 1964 as basically a fastback version of the Valiant. It was in 1967 that the Barracuda recieved a major redesign with it's own unique sheetmetal.

Attachments:
Date: October 21, 2022 09:41PM

Yes, but jfreez stated the "V" designation was used in 1967.

Solo2 then said that his 1966 Barracuda HAS a "V" plate.

Please explain why a '66 Barracuda could not have been a car that sat on a dealer's lot, until early 1967?

WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 23, 2022 03:28AM

Mel:

It had to be something other than the economy. Recessions were in 60-61 & 69-70. Maybe all the young men that would have bought it were taking a "vacation" in southeast Asia.

Al
Georgia

Date: October 23, 2022 10:02PM

Al, I get that.
I was the one that suggested the 1966 car might not have been sold until 1967.
But NMCarNut seems to think that was not possible for some reason.

He stated, "No, the Barracuda was introduced in 1964 as basically a fastback version of the Valiant. It was in 1967 that the Barracuda received a major redesign with it's own unique sheet-metal."

I am still trying to figure out how in the world, that translates into an impossibility for a '66 to be sold in '67 ? ? ? confused smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.