Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Used Engine or Rebuild
Posted by: falude ()
Date: October 12, 2022 07:53PM

Hi All - the blow-by is starting to get bad on my 65 110. After shutting it down I can now see it wafting out of the air cleaner housing. My question to the group is, should I try to re-ring it, or look for a known working used engine? I’m afraid that if I tear it open I’ll be opening a hornet’s nest.

That being said, does anyone have a good 140 or 110 engine for sale?

Thanks - Matt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Used Engine or Rebuild
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 12, 2022 08:25PM

Do you know how many miles are on the engine?

Re-ringing works, but, 164 cu in pistons are known to crack at the ring lands. I have seen engines with new rings break pistons often enough to say doing it right is to replace the pistons. But, taking it apart to inspect the pistons would be the first step.

Hard to answer the question which lasts longer, a used engine or a re-ringed engine.confused smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 12, 2022 08:49PM

Matt,
You don't list your location.
Create a sigline with some basic information.
State.
Rough area of that state if it is a large one.
And something about your vehicle. (ie: Year, and model FC, EM LM)
You just might have a neighbor with that used engine only a few miles away!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: falude ()
Date: October 13, 2022 05:53AM

Great point about the signature line. I’ve added a basic one for now.

I’m near Philadelphia, PA. In the perfect world a I’d love to buy a known to be good 140 engine.

1965 110, 4-Speed. Philadelphia Area.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: October 13, 2022 09:33AM

I've seen people selling engines here on the forum. Do a search. Being on this side of the country, you may also want to contact Shades Classic Cars. They deal exclusively in Corvairs.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: October 13, 2022 10:10AM

John Sweet and Corvair Ranch are in Pennsylvania

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: October 13, 2022 02:20PM

Both good places Steve, The Ranch is in the south east, close to Philadelphia, and John is in the north west, near Pittsburg.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 13, 2022 02:45PM

Think about future use of your Vair. Buying a used engine with unknown history, gamble. Engine will be sold as ran good when removed, of course.

Fix your engine's current issue only and wait for next issue. You will find more to fix once you open it up.take bell housing off to inspect those gears.

Or

Go through your engine repairing things that need attention and have several thousand miles of probably no engine related issues sidelining you again.

Al
Georgia

Posted by: Autoxer62 ()
Date: October 14, 2022 07:40AM

Given the age of these engines, I wouldn't plan on just a re-ring. Doing a full rebuild is obviously more work, but if you go in with that as your plan then the list of potential surprises is a lot shorter and it's more likely you won't have to go back in anytime soon.

Bryan Blackwell | Fairfax Station, Va. | bryan@skiblack.com | [autoxer.skiblack.com]
Corvairs: '62 700 Wagon, '64 Greenbrier, '66 Corsa
"Why do something if you're not going to obsess about it?"

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: October 14, 2022 08:48AM

I've typically installed used engines in several of my cars - and they have been hit or miss.

My Rampside has a '68 95hp, pulled from a junkyard in unknown condition. I resealed it, and its been running in there for 10 years without trouble (still had 90 degree plug boots on it when I picked it up). I also used this engine in a '66 Corsa that was autocrossed, too.

I put a well-used, factory parts, 66 95hp from my powerglide Autocross car into a daily driver....and it lasted a couple months before it grenaded a piston, which took out everything else. Literally everything.

When that engine blew up....I had another junkyard 110hp (literally from a scrap yard), that we painted the tins on, did a minor reseal (pushrod tubes only), and threw in the 66. It ran fine, didnt smoke. Traded it to my brother in CO, and he drove it for a while, and now its lost compression in a few cylinders....

Crap-shoot. For me, sometimes its about throwing a $100 engine it, because the car is on the road faster, knowing its a gamble.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: blkcorvair ()
Date: October 14, 2022 12:29PM

I currently have a great running 65 110 (Mated to a powerglide) That Ill be removing in the near future and probably selling. Its at 68,000 +/- original miles. Ive been driving it for 2 years now, did alot of basic tuning and Maintenence on it. It uses no oil at all between once a year oil changes.

Removing it because I decided I wanted this car to be a 4 Speed. and while I was at it I decided I wanted it to be a 140. I bought a 4spd Drivetrain/ Engine and a third engine. Those two I tore down to build a nice performing 140/4spd and just started assembling that last night. (I dont reccomned trying to do that BTW, currently with the 140 heads done properly, Im already over $5k and not counting anymore. Lots of stuff getting expensive)

So anyway if all goes well Ill have a complete 110 68,000 mile drivetrain available between now and the Spring. (Actually its a true 110 with "RK" A/C Block Code) But Ill be moving the A/C components onto the new engine when I swap the new drivetrain in.

Im on Long Island, But actually keep the car in PA so either location works for pickup when its ready. Havent really thought about selling it just ye, since Im not Ready just yet and still actually drive it occasionally as is while the weather is good.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 14, 2022 01:01PM

I have seen RK code engines to have 95 HP style heads.winking smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 15, 2022 04:31AM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have seen RK code engines to have 95 HP style heads.winking smiley

X2. Heard about that yesterday.

Al
Georgia

Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: October 15, 2022 10:28AM

My $ .02....(FWIW)

Buy the used engine, check it out, (compression, cam gear slop, etc.) Re-ring that engine, or rebuild it, swap it in, and then you have a spare engine.

-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.