Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Corvair Scammer! What should I do?
Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 02, 2022 04:41PM

This ad comes up when googling 66 Turbo Vert. It’s my old car in the ad. I built it and I took the pictures he is displaying. I am positive that he is lying about one thing, he hasn’t owned it 15 years because I only sold it a couple of years ago, and not to him. The only picture he shows that I didn’t take was the one of the data plate, and that one is almost illegible.

I know that this happens all the time, but before he rips someone off, is there anything that I can do to put a stop to this scam?

[smclassiccars.com]

Dan
Chandler, AZ
1966 Corsa Turbo Convertible
[corvaircenter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2022 04:48PM by Dan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corvair Scammer! What should I do?
Date: October 02, 2022 05:40PM

Contact the website owner. It appears to be an accumulator that just allows people to list.

Tell them he has stolen your photos!

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CCF admin ~
CORSA +Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: October 02, 2022 06:18PM

There’s a phone number, call the guy, after you contact the website.

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: October 02, 2022 06:31PM

If you sold the car a "couple" of years ago (by verbal math that would be two years) that would be 2020. He states, "As you can see the last registration I even bothered to put on was 2014." If you can provide paperwork (registration) that you owned the car between 2014 and 2020 that would be proof that his word is contestable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***'61 Lakewood, a "Freebie" in hibernation for 27 years - In the process of applying CPR.***

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 02, 2022 06:49PM

wittsend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you sold the car a "couple" of years ago (by verbal math that would be two years) that would be 2020. He states, "As you can see the last registration I even bothered to put on was 2014." If you can provide paperwork (registration) that you owned the car between 2014 and 2020 that would be proof that his word is contestable.

I really don’t need to prove anything. He is a damn liar. The pictures were taken in my yard. It’s the scammer that needs to prove something.

Dan
Chandler, AZ
1966 Corsa Turbo Convertible
[corvaircenter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2022 06:51PM by Dan.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 03, 2022 12:59AM

Dan, RELAX! eye popping smiley
I do not believe that Witt was doubting YOU.
I think he meant you could present that as evidence to the online listing site.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: detroitdude ()
Date: October 03, 2022 01:10AM

Money is the root of all evil.
Sad that people lie so much all
to rip people off.

Dan Dood
69 Monza Convertible
66 500 Coupe
66 Monza 4 speed
61 Monza 4 door

Detroit, Michigan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2022 01:11AM by detroitdude.

Attachments:

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 03, 2022 01:20AM

There is absolutely NOTHING inherently evil about money! eye rolling smiley
People seem to always be misquoting that. angry smiley
Proper quote:

The LOVE OF Money, is the root of all evil. hot smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: October 03, 2022 04:00AM

Well Dan...at least we can see you take quality pictures!!

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: October 03, 2022 07:28AM

Hey Mel, I was going to point out that same thing, but you beat me to it!

Posted by: detroitdude ()
Date: October 03, 2022 07:45AM

American Mel Wrote:
> There is absolutely NOTHING inherently evil about money! eye rolling smiley
> .
> People seem to always be misquoting that. angry smiley
> .
> Proper quote:
>
> The LOVE OF Money, is the root of all evil. hot smiley

Let me say that I learned something new
today. I guess my point is that money drives
people to do evil things. I hate thieves.

Dan Dood
69 Monza Convertible
66 500 Coupe
66 Monza 4 speed
61 Monza 4 door

Detroit, Michigan

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: October 03, 2022 07:58AM

You do amazing work Dan. The first time I saw that car in person was at the convention in Buffalo (2006?). Your wife's 66 Monza 140 PG air conditioned coupe was equally stunning. I also hate all the scummers that just want to steal.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: October 03, 2022 08:32AM

Scammer had one good effect--I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants you to work on their car now!

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: October 03, 2022 08:59AM

He is trying to an interstate sale , call the local FBI

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: October 03, 2022 11:27AM

Dan Wrote:
> wittsend Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > If you sold the car a "couple" of years ago (by verbal math that would be two years) that would be 2020. He states, "As you can see the last registration I even bothered to put on was 2014." If you can provide paperwork (registration) that you owned the car between 2014 and 2020 that would be proof that his word is contestable.
>
>
> I really don’t need to prove anything. He is a damn liar. The pictures were taken in my yard. It’s the scammer that needs to prove something.

I was not doubting you Dan. But if you go to someone to seek correction THEY will likely ask for proof and I was simply pointing out at least one way to support the error of the ad. In terms of simple honesty (known to you), no, you have nothing to prove. In terms of due process unfortunately you likely do. A judge will likely ask you to state specifically "a couple of years." As to the pictures they may or may not be seen as having specific ownership once placed into public from a previous ad.

Years ago I put a car up for sale stating it was a #5 car on a 6 scale. I noted that though the engine ran it was not "drivable." A prospective buyer spoke with me and decided that it was NOT the car for them. Shortly there after someone else agreed to purchase the car on a Friday and would pay and pick it up on Monday. Over that weekend (unknown to me) the new buyer posted the yet to be paid for car for sale at 4 times what he was paying me and presented it as a decent, drivable #2/#3 car.
The same potential buyer who had previously rejected the car as I presented it was now sitting and waiting at a meeting point for the new buyer who (mis)presented it as a much different car.
Late Monday night I got an email from the person who had rejected the car as I presented it. He was informing me that the person I had just sold it to was late to the meeting point (of course he was, he was at my place picking up the car), portraying himself as me, and standing by his (mis)presentation of the car. Anyway, this guy was SO PISSED he had driven 250 miles round trip thinking he was going to be buying the #2/#3 car in the ad and not the same #5 car I presented and he rejected. He thanked me for my honesty and cautioned that this seller was portraying himself as me in an attempt to sell the car.

So, yes, I have been in a similar situation. I felt it was at least presumptuous to be listing a car someone did not yet own. It was decidedly dishonest to represent the car in such contrast to what I had listed it at and it was illegal to portray one's self as another party.

It seems you are disturbed that he is using your pictures. You may have recourse with that but it needs to be investigated. Ownership (at least use of) the pictures may have transferred if you used a selling service and it was part of the agreement among the legal aspects of the contract. You make the statement, "before he rips someone off". Again before a judge it would be asked how is he ripping someone off? Misrepresenting years of ownership would be dishonest to duration of possession, but it does not inherently affect the condition of the car. Lastly I would advise not using terms like "before he rips someone off," "He is a damn liar," and "It’s the scammer...," as these statements have the potential to make you liable. Once emotion becomes involved potentially regrettable statements might be said. My hope is that this matter is resolved to your satisfaction. I'm just advising to be prepared and cautious as you go about it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***'61 Lakewood, a "Freebie" in hibernation for 27 years - In the process of applying CPR.***

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2022 11:29AM by wittsend.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.