Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hurrican Ian
Posted by: David Malcolm ()
Date: September 29, 2022 11:28AM

Remembering the kind offer of a member in FL to store Corvairs during the hurricane I came across this photo on NPR news. I guess you shouldn't leave the classic car outside.

David Malcolm
1969 Monza PG Coupe
NJ near the Meadowlands

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hurrican Ian
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: September 29, 2022 12:02PM

Observing a TOILET, other household items, and large banks of driven sand, I would guess that we are seeing Coastal Storm Surge Destruction and not Wind Damage.
Thus, it is quite likely a Classic like that Mopar, WAS inside a house/garage that got destroyed.
The offer for storage, was further inland.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: September 29, 2022 12:48PM

My Daughter lives in Venice right where Iam landed, it was bad and her house filled up with water past the windows, I been worried about her since the last time I talked to her yesterday at noon, I just heard from her at noon today and it was bad, the funny thing is the authorities told these people to stay there as the storm would make landfall a lot further north, so she stayed, then the storm changed direction and hit the area head on, they came back around with boats telling people to evacuate!!! ya a little 2 late! angry smiley

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2022 12:49PM by davemotohead.

Posted by: Gatorfly ()
Date: September 29, 2022 01:50PM

It is indeed unfortunate that you daughter (and many others) have lost so much, but she is alive and well and that’s certainly a blessing. Glad to hear she made it through the storm!

San Juan Islands, WA

1966 Corsa Coupe 180/4 Marina Blue/Blue

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: September 29, 2022 02:01PM

Trying to predict where a hurricane will go is like trying to predict where an earthquake will happen.

Remember driving through S. Florida after hurricane Andrew in the early 1990's.

Took a couple years to clean up all the debris.

Glad your daughter is ok (relatively - a lot to process)

Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: September 29, 2022 07:10PM

The Roadrunner is restorable, your daughter isn't. Glad she's ok.

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 29, 2022 08:39PM

You mean Superbird!

Yep, predicting where high force winds go is not an exact science!eye popping smiley

Very glad she is OK!thumbs up

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: 19sixty5 ()
Date: September 29, 2022 09:51PM

The owner had 4 wing cars, two were removed, the others were on top of 4 post lifts. The storm surge was so high it washed the cars off the lifts and out through the garage doors. Insane.

65 Crown Conversion Hardtop
66 Monza LA Built 140/4 AC Convertible
65 GTO Convertible
70 El Camino SS396
Huntsville, AL

Posted by: SkidRo ()
Date: September 30, 2022 07:29AM

I am west of Myrtle Beach in-between MB and Conway. We moved here 3 months ago. Right now (10:20am) The rain is heavy and the wind is steady at 15 mph with gale force up to 44 mph later today. We put everything inside the garage except for the Audi. It doesn't fit with the Corsa and Rampside. This is our first hurricane and it is going to be an experience that we will learn from. Luckily, we have a dual fuel whole house generator in case the power goes out.

Yesterday I was in Maryland on business. I flew into Charlotte but my MB flight was canceled. The airport had no rental cars. I found one 20 miles away at a regional airport, took a taxi there, got the car and drove 3 1\2 hours to get home. Otherwise I would be stuck in Charlotte (in the storms path) until Saturday waiting for a flight. There was no way that I was leaving my wife alone during a hurricane. There would be hell to pay if that happened.

Rory
66 Corsa
63 Rampside
Conway, SC

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: September 30, 2022 07:40AM

If you dig into the details of the upside-down wing car photo...

The owner had 4 cars in the garage, and had removed the 2 on the ground, 2 on lifts. He removed the 2 on ground level - but the storm swell pushed the 2 on the lifts out - the wing cars. Posted on several other forums / facebook posts, are pics from before the storm.

Shame.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Date: September 30, 2022 08:28AM

19sixty5 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The owner had 4 wing cars, two were removed, the others were on top of 4 post lifts. The storm surge was so high it washed the cars off the lifts and out through the garage doors. Insane.

Where did this happen?
Photo not likely to be right after Ian came through.

Inquiring minds....

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CCF admin ~
CORSA +Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: September 30, 2022 08:48AM

From the Tampa Bay Times published yesterday:

"Mike Walton said he only managed to relocate two of his four beloved classic cars to higher ground before the storm struck. He had hoped the remaining two vehicles — a fire-engine red 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona and a showstopping orange 1970 Plymouth Road Runner Superbird — would be safe inside his concrete garage. But in the morning, the family awoke to find both vehicles, valued at more than $600,000, washed out of the garage and onto the sandy beach that was once their front lawn – overturned and dented, but at least they didn’t go too far."

And the full picture from Reddit

[www.tampabay.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2022 08:50AM by VairKing.

Attachments:
Date: September 30, 2022 08:54AM

Ahhh.

HERE is the story.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CCF admin ~
CORSA +Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: September 30, 2022 08:57AM

Another pic of the garage. Although no good source to cite!

Attachments:
Posted by: Gatorfly ()
Date: September 30, 2022 09:58AM

And for some strange reason the cycle begins once again… Return, rebuild, and wait for the next big one to hit. Was it Einstein that said the definition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting different results? Somehow I think the Waltons and the rest of the folks that live on Hickory Boulevard will recover just fine, especially after they reopen the airport in Fort Meyers where many keep their private jets eye rolling smiley

San Juan Islands, WA

1966 Corsa Coupe 180/4 Marina Blue/Blue

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: September 30, 2022 10:00AM

[www.bing.com]

Right now we are at Myrtle Beach with the motor home at Apache campground. They allowed me to move the RV to one of the highest points in the park. Then we left and got a hotel room. We were hanging here a few extra days before going to St Augustine. How did we get caught? well the forecast went from 24 MPH winds and a 2 foot surge to a full blown hurrican in a matter of hours. There was really no place to drive to outrun it. Looks like the worst of it is south of us for know.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: September 30, 2022 10:55AM

@JO, you are literally at ground zero at the campground. I ran a topographic map of the campsite and it claims to be from almost zero at the beach up to 30' at the rear (non-beach end). For now, the wind and rain has stopped at my house but I am sure there's more to come.

Rory
66 Corsa
63 Rampside
Conway, SC

Date: September 30, 2022 11:52AM

I drove car down from the hotel. The sites closest to the beach have about 6" of water. I moved up the hill so I'm up about 15 higher'. Wind and surf are crazy

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Attachments:
Date: September 30, 2022 12:16PM

JO, there are a few Corvair people in the Myrtle area if you need something. One guy is in North Myrtle Beach proper (one block off the beach, which is probably getting hammered right now). I am not sure we are in a better position than you at present (we are getting heavy rain and winds right now) but reach out if needed. I'll PM you my number.

Rory
66 Corsa
63 Rampside
Conway, SC

Date: September 30, 2022 01:23PM

Thanks, we are doing fine other than being couped up. Looks like we're almost in the clear except for a few more hours of high wind and showers. The lot behind the Bouder was under water this afternoon, but as you can see we were close to the water before I moved it up the hill. We'll be back there in the morning and NO I didn't fly the drone today.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Attachments:
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.