Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Engine rear housing
Posted by: aj_ed ()
Date: September 27, 2022 09:30AM

I have been chasing down a minor leak for a while now. Completely wiping down the oil pan (finned), and removing the engine mount and cover.Retorquing down the 4 lower studs with spacers. Jacking the engine back into place. Letting the car sit for 3 days, seepage on the ground where the rear housing meets the engine block.
I assembled this engine about a year ago, and has been dry for 9 months or so. My next step is removing rear housing and replacing the gasket. Any thoughts?
1963 102 in 65 Corsa as driver.

Ed in So Cal

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Engine rear housing
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 27, 2022 10:31AM

I had quite a time with one about a years ago. Received good advice here but don't have time to search for the thread now.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: corvairsince70 ()
Date: September 27, 2022 12:57PM

Jim - I would also like to know how you stopped a stubborn leak on the rear housing. Please research your thread. Thanks

Dennis
Nashville area

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: September 27, 2022 01:29PM

I did a quick SEARCH using the words "rear housing leak" selected "All Words" then used JimBrandberg at the Author and came up with the following topic.
It may or may not be what you are looking for but I have found that Searching sometimes works.confused smiley

[corvaircenter.com]
Rear Housing At Crankcase Centerline Oil Leak
Date: October 25, 2017 08:41AM

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: September 27, 2022 01:37PM

Two possibilities;
1) The stationary shaft for the oil pump can leak from the top. You can clean that area really well and put some epoxy in there. Someone else may have a better solution for that spot.
2) The 4-studs that come out from the block can leak. Put some sillycone around the studs before you install the engine rear skid plate or the motor mount bracket. Again, someone else may have a better solution for this area that can leak.

Good luck!

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Date: September 28, 2022 04:43AM

The link above is the one where I had trouble which turned out to be at the crankcase split. That is a rare occurrence and I would first focus on the usual gasket and flatness issues that are also discussed in that thread.
I would not use a product on that gasket that's hard to remove since there's a lot of narrow surfaces to deal with next time.
It's a very critical surface with all the oil pressure inside and I've always thought it doesn't help when the housing gets half untorqued when removing the 4 engine mount nuts.
With the problem one I ran the engine supported on a jack with the engine mount bracket and skid plate removed and washers and nuts replaced so I could see where the leak initiated.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2022 04:46AM by JimBrandberg.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 29, 2022 04:11AM

I wonder why it would be needed to remove the nuts and mount plate from the engine while in trhe car. Except when removing the rhw rear cover for a leak is the only reason I could foresee.

You need the mount plate to lift it to a stand or bench. Then nuts would be removed to get skid plate off for leak inspection. Mount plate would also come off if on a bench for running. But nuts have to torqued to spec to have housing secured to the engine case.

When I build an engine, the skid plate is not installed initially, as engine is going on a stand. Stand holds engine by 2 sets of hardware though bell housing mount holes and by the engine mount plate upper hole. Skid plate is put on after I put the engine on a bench, install skid plate and then lift engine to put on a transmission jack having a Dave Motohead cradle installed on it. This all takes place on a concrete floor close to car.

Date: September 29, 2022 05:06AM

Lane66m wrote:
"I wonder why it would be needed to remove the nuts and mount plate from the engine while in trhe car. Except when removing the rhw rear cover for a leak is the only reason I could foresee."...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the link from a few years ago I had replaced the rear housing gasket twice and still had a leak. I removed the engine mount and skid plate and replaced the nuts with washers so I could run the engine and see where the leak was initiating from.
This was an extreme measure when other things had failed.
It ended up that it was leaking from the crankcase half which is very rare.
I only referenced the thread about this because it had lots of other good suggestions on dealing with the more usual rear housing leaks.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 29, 2022 05:19AM

So I have to assume you had a jack and cradle under the engine to keep it in place then.

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: September 29, 2022 05:48AM

There is one other place but this is generally a running leak. Just forward of the oil pump cover there is a Welch plug, freeze plug if you don't know the nomenclature. I have had 2 of these rusted and leak, they rust from the inside!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.