Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Innovative solution to engine blow-by problem
Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: September 25, 2022 06:23AM

I recently received information about a new addition to the Corvanatics FC Registry that included the image shown below. When I inquired about the black pipe indicated by the arrow, the explanation was that the owners father was very innovative:

"Seems the engine was blowing oil out, so he placed a tube over the dip stick tube. This went to a container mounted on the side of the van. The tube went into the bottom of the container. As he drove the van, the engine would blow oil up into the container. When he turned it off, the oil would drain back into the engine. Saved on oil and kept the engine compartment from getting messy."

Works for me.

Steve

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Innovative solution to engine blow-by problem
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: September 25, 2022 06:45AM

Wow. New winter project for me!

Posted by: Colorsarge ()
Date: September 25, 2022 04:14PM

Love the fan belt keeper on the turkey roaster too! That's doing a lot of good.

Frankford, De., eight miles north of Ocean City, Md.
1966 Corsa convt.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: September 25, 2022 04:14PM

I should note that I was exclaiming in the vein of, "That's clever! I think it would be interesting to try that (though it isn't ideal)."

My engine doesn't have blowback issues anymore, thankfully.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: September 25, 2022 04:27PM

I did this “mod” 20 years ago on my stock turbo, under boost it would spit some oil up, I also used a breather on the oil container. It was never a lot of oil, but it was enough to make a little mess. I should probably do a compression check someday????

Rocco

Posted by: scooperman ()
Date: September 26, 2022 04:55PM

I stole an idea from early Superbikes, saw it on a BMW race bike. Had a blowby catch can with a reed valve on the top. Lots of windage in those engines. Used a very light reed. I put one on my SCCA C-Sedan Mini in the 70s, took the steel reed out of dirt bike reed cage, made my reed out of plastic 3-ring binder cover. If a ring started going bad, it still kept low crankcase pressure.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: September 26, 2022 06:34PM

Oh.. Like the stuff like that I did back when I was a starving student in college, early 1970's. What ever it took to keep em running!
I like the wire support of the Left air cleaner retainer too! drinking smiley

Corventure Dave

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: September 26, 2022 06:38PM

Yup - I remember dad using a garden hose to vent the blow by out under the bumper. That same engine is now rebuilt and in one of my rampsides.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.