Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Aftermarket air cleaners
Posted by: Monzaguy110 ()
Date: September 20, 2022 05:42PM

In another month or so it will be time to park the 65 vert to keep it away from the salt trucks. I plan on cleaning up the engine compartment among other things, and would like to go with a couple of chrome air cleaners. Its a 95 HP with Rochester carbs, looks like the OD on the throats are 2 1/16". When I search for possibles, the only thing I come up with are VW or dune buggy ones. I would prefer to go with units that are 5 or so inches in diameter as I need to run the PCV to one of them. The smaller 2 & 3 inch ones look rather restrictive. Anyone out there have this setup? If so, a pic and where you got them would be great. Thanks, Mark

1965 Monza Convertible

Re: Aftermarket air cleaners
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: September 20, 2022 11:43PM

The Early 1961 - 1964 air cleaners can be installed on a Late engine.
As far as some aftermarket Chrome ones for the 2 carb engine like you have, I would check the Corvair parts vendors.
Perhaps someone else here has another idea.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: September 21, 2022 04:48AM

You are asking for 5" individuale air claners? About the only place you have to look that might have what you are looking for is K&N filters. Be prepared for sticker shock though.

The other thing you could do is adapt a diferent filter that uses a paper filte. JUst because it doesn't have the correct base use your creative imagination to make something work. It is getting harder and harder to find something to just bolt on anymore.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 21, 2022 05:09AM

There's a tab on the outside for attaching stock air cleaner that makes fitting a round hose a little difficult.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: September 21, 2022 04:02PM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's a tab on the outside for attaching stock air cleaner that makes fitting a round hose a little difficult.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If I don't take the tabs off I just notch the hoses.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: Monzaguy110 ()
Date: September 21, 2022 04:11PM

Thanks for the responses. I will do a deeper dive, I have all winter smiling smiley

1965 Monza Convertible

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: September 21, 2022 06:24PM

Remember that the tube for the crankcase vent system must be plumbed into at least one if not both of the air cleaners. You cannot just let the tube stay open and sticking up in the engine bay. You cannot just put a tiny filter on it either because the fumes will be in your car heater system quickly

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 21, 2022 06:44PM

As Steve says, doing it better than GM did is hard. You can do it sloppy, so the engine or people suffer, but why...

You can see a lot of the PCV pipes with just a filter on them in internet searches, so ignore them. It has to be plumbed into the air induction system to get rid of the fumes.

GM gave the 64 and later a large paper element that will pass more air than even a 140 HP needs.

You can do the Matt Nall "velocity stack" improvement in a stock system to help get the air to turn into the carburetor.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: September 22, 2022 05:05AM

Well You can do an air/oil separator and then vent overboard, that is the second best solution. I made this one, self draining!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: September 22, 2022 05:54AM

Ken, I looked and looked and could not find the pictures of how you made the separator. Do you have the link or pics of when you made it.

thanks
Tom

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
62' Wagon rebuild MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: September 22, 2022 07:37AM

Nice looking Ken.

Due to emission testing in this area we must have closed crankcase vent systems. Any visible smoke has the possiblity of being sent a notice to repair. I have had to convert a number of 60-62 engines using the road draft tubes to the upper vent and PCV system through the years.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.