Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Gas Heater identification & value
Posted by: RatVair ()
Date: September 18, 2022 09:42AM

I think it may be from an FC based on the size of the exhaust stub. The exhaust pipe does not fit the unit. It fits inside the stub. I think the pipe is for a car.

Attachments:

Re: Gas Heater identification & value
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: September 18, 2022 10:18AM

I think that is a passenger car version, not a FC version.
I could be wrong but don't think so. If I am, someone will correct me.

Core value is about $300.00 for one in unknown working condition.

The new exhaust pipe probably adds about $100.00 to the value.

IF the unit is complete and in good working order (with some sort of guarantee), I would think it could be worth as much as $750.00 and maybe up to $1,200.00 depending on how much someone would want to purchase it.

P.S.
IF it turns out that is is actually for an FC Corvair, that could add another 20% to 30% to the value of the heater, again depending on condition.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2022 10:21AM by Caraholic4life.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: September 18, 2022 10:51AM

You have just made my day since I have a NOS car unit in the original carton sitting on a shelf in the cellar. The last time it was opened was about 20 years ago.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: September 18, 2022 02:29PM

The main reason I was thinking it may be for an FC is the end of the car exhaust pipe does not fit over the end of the exhaust stub on the heater, the exhaust stub is a larger diameter than the exhaust pipe, the pipe fits inside of it. I have also noticed that some heaters have a curved exhaust stub coming out of the heater unit as in the attached pic.

Attachments:
Date: September 18, 2022 02:31PM

oops! just noticed the pic is for an FC and has the curved exhaust stub. Maybe i just answered my own question.....

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: September 18, 2022 03:32PM

They are on EBAY all the time for $100.00 used unknown condition. Shipping is the killer. $750 - $1200.00? I doubt it.

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: September 18, 2022 04:12PM

For what it is worth...I based my values of the Gas Heaters by looking at a web page from a reputable Corvair business.

60-64 Car Gas Heaters Rebuilt, $1,390.00 plus a $300.00 core value.
FC Gas Heaters Rebuilt, $1,590.00 plus a $1,500.00 core value. (Yes, a $1,500.00 core value)

Remember, any given item may be worth $10.00 to one individual but $100.00 to another.
Supply and Demand along with need and desire all contribute to the actual sales price of any given item when it comes to this type of part. JMO

In the end, it is only worth what it will bring in actual dollars and that value is established between the seller and buyer.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: September 18, 2022 11:08PM

Probably repaired by someone who does not know about the curved exhaust. Probably worth $150 for clean unit and $80 for the pipe. If it was complete with controls and air injection fan, maybe $250. I think less because a proper pipe needs to be welded to the heat exchanger, which is true for most of these.

Junk's NOS? maybe $500 in today's deflating money.

Crawford

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 19, 2022 05:17AM

Sometimes the exhaust stub pipe gets cut off to get it apart when it's rusted together with the tail pipe.
The market for gas heaters is down because not many people are driving Corvairs in the Winter anymore.
We just took parts from 3 gas heaters to put 1 together in a '60. We haven't tried running it yet.
My rather pessimistic theory for a while now has been that Corvair parts aren't worth anything until someone needs something.
That is a nice looking unit but you need the combustion blower to make it complete. I'm not positive but I think it's from a car.
A new hose is $46 these days and a pipe is well north of $100.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: September 19, 2022 09:56AM

Combustion blowers are available from Clark's for $12.The stub pipe looks pristine, never been welded/installed? I ran the fan and it works fine. Can't test anything else. If anyone is interested I will sell it. I do not have any controls....what you see is what you get.

Attachments:

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: September 19, 2022 10:06AM

I may have missed it, if some one mentioned it.

That unit is missing the induction blower unit.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
62' Wagon rebuild MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Date: September 19, 2022 10:22AM

yup it is missing. Clark's has them for $12.

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: September 19, 2022 10:18PM

That won’t really fit in the hole in the trunk to the exhaust without the curved angle. I agree it looks new and it could be good in someone’s application.

C.A. Rose
Metairie, LA
1962 Spyders

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.