Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Multi-Purpose Grease Recommendations?
Posted by: PequotMonza64 ()
Date: September 16, 2022 11:47AM

Have at it! I'm sure half will swear by one product and the rest will say anything will work.

Looks like my car presently has the green grease in the chassis front end fittings, probably because it came from a farm in Ohio and green grease is used in farm equipment.

I'd like to have a single grease that will be fine for both chassis and wheel bearings. I've seen red grease, gray grease, green grease, and Moly grease. Oddly local parts stores don't carry much selection in the stores and you need to order.

Just looking for some opinions and any warnings...

Glen in Ohio
1964 Monza Sedan Powerglide 110 hp
Low mileage survivor, stock as delivered
Records back to 1967 in Pequot Lakes, Minnesota
Original dealer Mike Turk's in East Liverpool, Ohio
Located in Cleveland, Ohio area

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Multi-Purpose Grease Recommendations?
Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: September 16, 2022 11:52AM

I use Swepco 101 Moly . It cured my CV joint issues in the v8 racer.
You won’t find it at auto parts stores is the draw back

1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1998 Honda Prelude Dirt track car
1967 Crown V8 under construction
Mike Levine
Cumming Georgia
North of Atlanta

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: September 16, 2022 01:09PM

I have used Lucas Red and Tacky for years in joints and bearings, rated extreme pressure. This can be found at most FLAPS.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
62' Wagon rebuild MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2022 01:10PM by toms73novass.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 16, 2022 01:59PM

I use "disc brake wheel bearing grease" in a tub and suck it into the grease gun cartridge. I used to buy Pennzoil version in 5 pound tubs, but more recently using up all the partial 1 pound tubs from the parts store I seem to have accumulated.

3 people, 3 opinions. Also matters what the locals carry.

I do not buy non-disc brake grease in tubs.

For a packed bearing, I clean them out of old grease/dirt and use one of the above products. For suspension greasing, I mix types, who can clean out a joint? Some joints should not be over greased, and who knows what was in there before me?confused smiley

Flame suit on. eye popping smiley Haven't used that saying in years.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 16, 2022 03:07PM

I looked up the published specs a few years ago and Royal Purple was the best if you can believe the specs.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 138 Corvairs and counting...

Date: September 16, 2022 07:36PM

I'll also say most any disc brake grease you can find in the store will be miles better than the grease when our cars were new. I still remember using "Fiber Rated" grease because it was the cat's meow in the 60s. Then we learned better....grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: September 16, 2022 09:53PM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll also say most any disc brake grease you can find in the store will be miles better than the grease when our cars were new

I thought of that, too, Frank. I was flushing the brake fluid and removed pounds of congealed grease and dirt from that area. Great for protecting the suspension parts from rust, maybe.Someone kept pumping grease and not wiping out the excess, I guess.

This car was undercoated from new with something that really lasted. Just now passed 40,600 miles on the clock, but still 58 years old. This undercoating was amazing. Still good in just about every area, but where it has begun to separate the metal is like it just came out of the factory. I have a lot of paperwork and service receipts back to 1967. Nothing about Ziebart anywhere, but this guy was a commercial pilot and may have known of some aircraft quality goop back then.

Glen in Ohio

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: September 17, 2022 12:14AM

Just used a standard moly grease (not the fancy new stuff) - both suspension and wheel bearings. The few times I did wheel bearings. (Sta-Lube?)

Posted by: 67vair ()
Date: September 17, 2022 04:46AM

The best grease for any application? SOME!

69 Monza, owned since 1975 daily driver
67 Monza, owned since 1981, being restored

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 17, 2022 06:03AM

HIGH-TEMP WHEEL BEARING GREASE
For high-temperature components, such as wheel bearings, a high-temperature silicone-based grease is required. These greases are designed to hold stable under high temps and against the elements commonly seen in wheel bearings. You can use this grease for chassis components as well, but chassis grease is not interchangeable.

[knowhow.napaonline.com]

MULTI-PURPOSE GREASE
The most commonly used types of grease in the automotive world is multi-purpose. The main use for this stuff is chassis components, where heat is not an issue. This type of grease is typically made from Calcium sulfonate. These have a high resistance to water, but do not fare well under high heat application, such as disc brake wheel bearings. DO NOT use multi-purpose grease for disc brake wheel bearings or other high-heat applications.

Date: September 17, 2022 06:40AM

FYI - GC-LB is a designation that it is for wheel bearing and chasse lubrication.

The lucas has that designation.

I am not saying that lucas is the "best", I just know that it has done fine for me for years and had no failures in any of my vehicles.

-Tom

86' BMW 325es
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2022 06:41AM by toms73novass.

Posted by: jazzworkerbee ()
Date: September 17, 2022 08:23AM

I second the Red "N" Tacky. I haven't had any problems yet and it was the most popular suggestion when I asked a little while back.

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Date: September 17, 2022 11:25AM

Thanks for the responses. I think I will be going with the Lucas Red since it has a high melting point and is certified for both chassis and wheel bearings. It's also available locally, and the local stores don't seem to stock much in the way of grease anymore with modern cars being what they are.

While researching, it's apparent that some greases melt at 325 degrees while others melt at over 500 degrees, even if they have the same class rating.

Also, I might take issue with the line quoted from NAPAonline that multi-purpose grease should not be used for wheel bearings. It's a little misleading because MOST multi-purpose greases are ALSO rated for wheel bearings. They have TWO ratings.

Finally, my car has drum brakes. It seems as if with disc brakes the rotor generates more heat and transmits it more efficiently to the wheel bearing. Therefore, with disc brakes you need to pay special attention to the temperature rating which is called the drop point.

The only real negative I saw about the Lucas Red was one guy saying it gave off a red liquid which got all over his wheels. Who knows what sort of racing setup he had or how he drove his car. My 110hp 64 Corvair is not going to be much of a test for the Lucas Red, methinks.

Glen in Ohio

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: September 18, 2022 01:16AM

PequotMonza64 Wrote:
>
> The only real negative I saw about the Lucas Red was one guy saying it gave off a red liquid which got all over his wheels. Who knows what sort of racing setup he had or how he drove his car. My 110hp 64 Corvair is not going to be much of a test for the Lucas Red, methinks.

Methinks the guy who had "red liquid" on his wheels had his wheel bearings adjusted too tight.

Decades ago, a tech at an autocross tech inspection said my front wheel bearings were loose.

Dumbly, I followed his "recommendation" and "tightened" them up.

Problem: My next long road trip, a front wheel bearing failed. Did not like two 600 miles days at the "setting". The other one "failed" a little later.

Any correctly speced grease will work fine. Just matters if the cachet of a certain brand appeals to you.

Front wheel bearings: With your low miles, I would think they are good - unless there is discoloration (or corrosion?) from setting in one position for along time.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: September 18, 2022 07:03AM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
I still remember using "Fiber Rated" grease because it was the cat's meow in the 60s. Then we learned better....grinning smiley

Quaker State was famous for this fibered grease when specific disc brake grease became popular. I still have some. What did we learn? I never got the memo.

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock
Been Aircooled Since 1973
Northwest Ohio 45840

Date: September 18, 2022 07:59AM

Wagon Master Wrote:
>
> Quaker State was famous for this fibered grease when specific disc brake grease became popular. I still have some. What did we learn? I never got the memo.

You could knit a sweater with it? grinning smiley

I have no clue also, I can't even remember the 60's I was just a babe.

-Tom

86' BMW 325es
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Date: September 18, 2022 08:48AM

We learned it was not rated for disc brake heat.winking smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.