Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Axle and lever questions
Posted by: vacman ()
Date: September 16, 2022 10:54AM

I have a 64 convertible, got my engine back and have in back in the car, I have 2 frustrating problems, I can’t seem to get the right rear axle lined up to install it, the drivers side went in with not problem. The other issue is when I was removing the engine I had broken off the accelerator lever on the drivers side of the transmission. I was able to get a replacement and thought I had installed it correctly but now that I am trying to install the linkage it is not right, is there a correct procedure to install this, thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Axle and lever questions
Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: September 16, 2022 12:10PM

Pivot: 3 (or more? 60?) 61 - 64; 65; 66 - 69

Do you have the correct one? 64 Assembly Manual probably has a diagram. Or, 61 Shop manual or? 64 Supplement.

Never had an EM. Assume car is stable on jack stands; jack up hub / drum to ride height or close - may help?

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: September 16, 2022 12:38PM

If the axle will not go in, it is either that the splines are not lined up or the bearing/backing plate are not seated all the way on the control arm. Make sure that the backing plate is flush against the control arm and that the bearing is centered on the mounting studs and moves in freely.

Some times it takes two hands or a two hands and a helper to push the axle and line up the yoke as it has to enter the side spider gear. On one side its deeper into the diff that the other side so sometimes its a little more difficult to get the yoke angle right. Spin the axle slowly while lining up the yoke and pushing on the axle. It just takes patience.

Marco
A 2nd Gen Monza Wagon, a 2nd Gen GB 8door, a 2nd Gen (61's were 1st Gen) R/s and a 62nd Gen Turbo coupe..

Hanging out with the scorpions, king snakes, road runners, coyotes and quails In the southern desert of the silver state
Mesquite NV 89024

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: September 16, 2022 12:45PM

As far as the pivot on the side of the trans, its the as what came off correct? Usually its just the stud that the pivot arm rides on that gets damaged and not the actual arm. Make sure you have it oriented the correct way. I for one can say that its kind of deceiving in a appearance as to which rod to goes where.
Without look at a picture rightn now, pretty sure the longer narrow rod that comes from out of the belly pan attaches to lower larger hole on the arm that holds a gourmet and nylon bushing and installs from the outside and is closer to the rear of the car. While the shorter, thicker bend rod that goes up to the car cross linkage attaches to the smaller hole and is folded over part of the arm that is close to the front of the car and installs from the inside (closer to the trans)

Marco
A 2nd Gen Monza Wagon, a 2nd Gen GB 8door, a 2nd Gen (61's were 1st Gen) R/s and a 62nd Gen Turbo coupe..

Hanging out with the scorpions, king snakes, road runners, coyotes and quails In the southern desert of the silver state
Mesquite NV 89024

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 16, 2022 03:13PM

Marco gave a good answer on both.
I've never had any issue installing an axle. Just know the 4 bolt flange on the bearing has to align with the studs as well as the shaft aligning with the differential. One had on the axle flange to align and turn it and another on the inner end to align that and it will slip right in. I've never needed two people or any fighting.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 138 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 16, 2022 07:12PM

I have had to hold my mouth right....as they say jokingly. grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: vacman ()
Date: September 17, 2022 03:03PM

Finally got the axle in! Now for the lever on the side of the transmission,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.