Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Grandpa's 65 Monza
Posted by: Erikive ()
Date: September 13, 2022 06:49PM

Hey all, first time poster, first time Chevy owner here.
My Grandfather purchased this 1965 Monza new on 9/9/65 and it is now in my posession after 45 years sitting behind my uncle's barn.
Engine is thoroughly locked up, and this is the worst floor pan job I have ever encountered, but I intend to see it through.
Maybe he can drive his (still registered to him) car once again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2022 06:53PM by Erikive.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grandpa's 65 Monza
Posted by: BigGeorgesVair ()
Date: September 13, 2022 06:59PM

Welcome and GOOD luck....lots of knowledge and help on this site. It looks like you may have attempted to post some pics, but I can't see them...don't know if others can. We LIKE pictures!!!

George O¸
1967 Corvair 500 110/PG. in family since 1969 with 1200 miles(75k currently).

Date: September 13, 2022 07:09PM

Sorry about the photo links, not yet familiar with what does and doesn't cooperate with this forum platform.
Anyway, this should work.

Attachments:

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: September 13, 2022 08:03PM

Cool. Minnesota dealer. Where are you located?

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: detroitdude ()
Date: September 14, 2022 05:28AM

Welcome from Michigan, very
cool project, lots of good people
and smart people on this forum.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Dan Dood
69 Monza Convertible
66 500 Coupe
66 Monza 4 speed
61 Monza 4 door

Detroit, Michigan

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 14, 2022 05:41AM

You might consider a "rebody" using VIN and some components from this car. Arguably, if you end up Glacier Gray with a blue interior and a 4 speed you are preserving the spirit of the car. They made a million or two Corvairs so in the grand scheme of things it's not like we're preserving something especially rare or unobtainable.

Perhaps showing the LR is the worst angle with the area behind the wheel well and the wheel well itself. If you have a lot of rot above the floor you might be in for a long haul. The area ahead of the windshield and the door pillars where the hinges are can be especially difficult to address.

With a stuck engine I often loosen all the rocker arms so the valves are closed and fill the cylinders with a 50/50 mixture of AFT and Acetone. It helps if it's on an engine stand with the top cover removed so you can put it sideways and have the penetrating oil from the bottom of the pistons too. Invert every day or two. Sometimes they can come back to life but at the least you need to turn the engine to get it apart.
If you remove the powertrain it will be hard to move around.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just offering a viewpoint. I'm interested in any Corvair project and I especially love it when there's a family bond. I hope you know that it will be a labor of love that will probably never be worth monetarily what you put into it. I'm doing that very thing with a '60 4-door so I get it. I've got a 62 Spyder convertible here that's probably not worth saving due to rot. It's hard because it wants to run.

If you do proceed you probably want to make sure the chassis is square and plumb when you sturdy up the floor.

If the car is still in Minnesota our Corvair Minnesota club meets the 2nd Tuesday at Ideal Hall in St. Paul and we get together at various Car Shows and such as well. Maybe your Grandpa was a member? We started in 1972 in the salesman's room at Midway Chevrolet.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: September 14, 2022 06:09AM

WELCOME!!!

P/M Sent!!

Posted by: PequotMonza64 ()
Date: September 14, 2022 08:06AM

I love seeing "Seat Belt Deletion" on the order sheet.

Grandpa was definitely "old school" even for 1965!

Did they charge him $11 to remove it or does "11.000" with the extra zero indicate a credit?

Glen in Ohio
1964 Monza Sedan Powerglide 110 hp
Low mileage survivor, stock as delivered
Records back to 1967 in Pequot Lakes, Minnesota
Original dealer Mike Turk's in East Liverpool, Ohio
Located in Cleveland, Ohio area

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: September 14, 2022 10:29AM

I feel the same way Glen in Ohio. Seat belt deletion is not something we see often. PLEASE post a picture of the trim tag (located at the right rear of the engine bay). And WELCOME!

Posted by: jfreez ()
Date: September 14, 2022 11:23AM

PequotMonza64 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love seeing "Seat Belt Deletion" on the order sheet.
>
> Grandpa was definitely "old school" even for 1965!
>
> Did they charge him $11 to remove it or does "11.000" with the extra zero indicate a credit?

To me it looks like 11.00C I think the "C" is credit

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: September 14, 2022 01:16PM

It looks like seatbelts were added at sometime.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: September 14, 2022 01:22PM

Cool that you have the window sticker! Glacier Gray with the slate trim is a relatively rare color combination. You have a cool car there. I hope it you can resurrect it. You'll enjoy it especially with the connection to your grandfather.

Enjoy the Corvair.

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Date: September 14, 2022 06:57PM

Thanks for all the comments! Yes I am local to the Twin Cities area and my grandfather still lives at the address listed on the title. I however am in Luck, WI.
I completely understand and expected all the folks who tell me it's too far gone and/or not worth the effort, but frankly that's beside the point. It's a hobby, and this is well within my capabilities. I have no plans for cosmetic improvements.

I too am curious about the seatbelt deletion option. As my grandfather most certainly is oldschool, he definitely is not when it comes to safety. I will ask him next time I see him. The seatbelts there are Superior brand. I'm familiar with the name as a seatbelt manufacturer of the time, were these OEM?
Timothy, here is the tag as requested.

Attachments:

Date: September 14, 2022 07:00PM

Hi Jim, are you the one with that ad up on Craigslist? I've already started looking around for various items and stumbled across that.
The car was sitting in Crown all these years. I drove straight through Isanti on my way to get it.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 15, 2022 05:42AM

Yes I keep an ad on Craigslist. My main thing is repairs and parts as a sideline. I work at home so I'm usually around.
Usually when I part something out it's because of rust so fenders and such are usually bad.
I'm interested in watching your work on the floors. I have a EM 2-door with blue tinted windows I plan to do in a Rat Rod theme, maybe by 2023 Back to the 50s. It needs floors.
I recently got the Tasco Turquoise 60 4-door in the background running and plan to have it at Frankensteiners Ball in a few weeks. It arose from a decades long slumber on Friday and I had it at Osceola on Saturday and the Corvair Minnesota meeting in St. Paul on Tuesday. She may have some dep engine problems developing though.

I didn't mean to be offensive about your car. I run into a fair amount of people who get in too deep and then nothing ever becomes of it. Sounds like you know what you're doing.

[minneapolis.craigslist.org]

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Attachments:
Date: September 15, 2022 09:11AM

Oh no worries, none taken. It seems I get told stuff like that about most of the projects I take on! drinking smiley

Stripped everything off the back wall yesterday (is this considered the firewall?) and it looks way better than I was expecting after seeing the floors. Even the four corrugated spacers are in great shape.
Trunk is pretty solid too, only slightly rusted through under the linoleum pad.

Attachments:

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: September 15, 2022 09:58AM

Thank you for posting that E. I am surprised the car was built the 3rd week of January (01 C) but not sold until September. Decoded as:
E=tinted glass all around
Group 2L=4 speed transmission
Group 3C= padded dash
Group 4P= comfort and convenience Type A
U=spare tire lock
Group 5O= seat belt delete
Interesting this car was ordered with a padded dash (safety?) but without seat belts
Anyone know what was considered "SLATE TRIM"?
Again thanks for posting this fascinating trip tag AND the original window sticker. We don't see that often.
Be aware the Corvair Convention will be next door to you next June.

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: September 15, 2022 10:19AM

The slate trim would be the interior color.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: September 15, 2022 03:44PM

Slate trim is kind of a silver color. Don't see very many of them.

Clarks doesn't even show it on their color swatch page online. I think they have it though.

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Date: September 15, 2022 07:55PM

Unfolded the window sheet a little better to clear up some of the confusion.
Also, here's the original invoice. Note the trade. Name and address hidden as it remains current.

Attachments:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.