Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Torque converter question
Posted by: vacman ()
Date: September 13, 2022 05:22PM

64 convertible, I got my engine back today and am trying to reinstall the torque converter, I did what the manual said as far as putting in on the splines first but I can’t seem to get the other end with the small tip in the plate, it is supposed to fit flush now or as I start to bolt it up will it pull in?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Torque converter question
Posted by: Layton Curtis ()
Date: September 13, 2022 05:29PM

It needs to be fully seated before you bolt up. There should be no resistance at all.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: September 13, 2022 06:51PM

what are you calling a "plate" ?

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8 door Greenbrier, +.060, stroked 1/4", 186 ci.140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: September 13, 2022 07:29PM

Yea do not force it!!! I cracked a diff case once that way being dumb and in a hurry. Make sure it is all fully mated before bolting it’s together. It can be frustrating for sure.

Posted by: roger65180 ()
Date: September 14, 2022 04:50AM

stand the transaxel on its tail , or bell housing side up gravity is a big help if you are having trouble , it takes some wiggleing around to get them to go on all the way, when it is all the way on you cant get a finger between it

Roger R
Madison Wi
62 ct pg turbo
65intercooled 180 4sp,autocrosser
62 Rampy

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: September 14, 2022 01:24PM

You can put a little grease on the pilot of the torque convertor where it goes into the crank. Check to make sure there is no pilot bearing in there from a previous set up. Yes, they should fit together smoothly.

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: September 14, 2022 07:56PM

I just ran into an issue with a 'rebuilt' converter recently. Could not get it to go in, like yours. I found that the gears inside were not moving around using a pair of snap ring pliers. The internal gears must move around a bit to self align with the splines as the converter is slid in. Another converter and job got done. Better to have this happen on the ground than to have to pull powertrain back out and apart again!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.