Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Why is this leaking?
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: September 12, 2022 08:43PM

This is a composite photo looking up under the driver's front wheel well, where the pipe goes down from the side of the car into the gas tank.

Am I getting some kind of back pressure? I don't remember ever seeing a leak here before. I discovered the leak because the drips were starting to cause a little puddle under the wheel, and my wife complained about the smell.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2022 08:44PM by playerpage.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why is this leaking?
Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: September 12, 2022 08:54PM

Did you fill the tank, all the way to the very top recently? If so, the seepage is coming from a vent line near the top of the filler neck. It will stop leaking once the fuel level comes down. If the leak continues, the leak is further down the neck. Theres a couple of hoses between the filler neck and tank and one of those is probably the culprit... mine has a tendancy to do that now also, and stops once the fuel level is reduced. Something I intend to address the next time I put my car down for more mods!!

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car
Test Start#2 [www.youtube.com]

Date: September 12, 2022 08:58PM

I did just recentely fill it. I didn't overfill as far as I know, I just let it fill until the pump stopped. Maybe this is normal, but I've never had it happen to me. Then again, I usually go tooling around for a while after I fill up! Thanks for the clarification.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2022 08:58PM by playerpage.

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: September 12, 2022 11:51PM

If your turbo engine has a return line, there is a "T" in the "picture".

[ssl.corvair.com]

C9R - another potential leak area.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 13, 2022 05:52AM

I like the metal tee that California Corvairs has. The rubber tees don't last long and the return to tank is under pressure.
I don't like installing gas tanks and return to tank is one more thing to contend with.
Filler hose doesn't last long if someone didn't use gas hose.
Playerpage has a turbo so I assumed it still has a return to tank in the vent hose. I can't seem to get my bearings on what I'm looking at in the photo.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 13, 2022 05:56AM

I t is the return to tank line, I believe.

Date: September 13, 2022 07:35AM

Thanks, all

It was an over-fill or something. I don't think it was an overwhelming of the fuel line. I have my return routed underneath next to my electric pump, using this filter:

[www.amazon.com]

I didn't realize this was a vestige of the old return system, but as I say I don't think it was leaking, otherwise it would drip every time I turned on the car, wouldn't it?

Here's a photo of where it is on the car.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota

Attachments:
Posted by: Layton Curtis ()
Date: September 13, 2022 05:43PM

You must have let it sit in the sun. Gas expands. Seen it many a time when the tank is filled and not driven on a hot summer day.

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: September 14, 2022 10:19AM

In your picture that vent tube doesn't look stock?

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Date: September 14, 2022 12:16PM

Heck if I know. But why mess with it to make it non stock?

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.