Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
LM Engine Lid Insulation Retainers C378 - Dropping Out
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 12, 2022 04:19PM

We have previously discussed the engine lid insulation retainers C378 not staying put in the engine lid. Seems several of us tried different ways to get them to stay. My way was jamming a doubled over ty-rap into the retainer. It worked for a while but the ty-rap finally slid out.

I finally think I have these repop retainers C378 / C378A whooped. I had some 1/4"D x 1/2"L plastic trim fasteners to try. I tried a few on the More Door a few months ago and the trick has work so far for about 300 miles. I now have obtained enough to do both Vairs.

I trim the existing retainer peg off and drill a 7/32 hole in the center to press the body of the trim fastener into. Using J.O.'s suggestion for another item, I will join the body to the retainer using Loctite 290 and let it dry. I insert the lock peg partially, then insert assembly into insulation and engine lid. Press the lock peg in fully while holding it tight against lid.

I hope this solves the issue of dropping retainers onto the engine. I will update this after Maggie Valley where I will have a good 700 miles on this Mod.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM Engine Lid Insulation Retainers C378 - Dropping Out
Posted by: David Malcolm ()
Date: September 12, 2022 05:31PM

I had little success installing those plastic ones, went to the 1965 metal ones, a light rap with a hammer and they are in solidly

David Malcolm
1969 Monza PG Coupe
NJ near the Meadowlands

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: September 12, 2022 05:53PM

Funny thing about the metal vs. plastic retainers: The metal ones were "dumped" after '65 because they would fall out and into the fan making a loud clatter along the way. The plastic ones that followed in '66 basically stayed put forever. Evidently that's no longer true.

I wonder if there are multiple vendors? Surely there are because this is a common GM part.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 12, 2022 06:17PM

I have a set of those metal ones. Decided against using them due t9 possibility of them dropping out into the fan. They are going to Maggie Valley to find a new home.

I never research if retainers were used on other Chevy makes. Most others use the hood bracing to hold the pads from those I have seen.

Posted by: steve57 ()
Date: September 12, 2022 06:25PM

My 69 has all its metal retainers and I reused them with new insulation. So far so good. Maybe fall out due to improper installation?

Posted by: cschneider53 ()
Date: September 12, 2022 06:57PM

I did the exact same things with my plastic ones except for the loctite. It works fantastic! Have hundreds of miles on them and they are staying put.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2022 06:58PM by cschneider53.

Posted by: MarkDustan ()
Date: September 12, 2022 08:50PM

I did the same…went to real 65 Metal but added a dollop of lack Silicone , never a problem

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: September 13, 2022 07:40AM

I've only lost a couple--I thought it was just how it was, and didn't think about asking around. Are people using the expensive or the regular insulation? Mine's the regular.

Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: September 13, 2022 08:10AM

For my '65 Monza, I went to my FLABS (Friendly Local Auto Body Shop) and rummaged around in the fastener bins until I found plastic clips like the one in the photo. They're not original in appearance but they stay put!

Clips of this type are available in a wide assortment of sizes, so I picked the largest ones that fit. The ribbed shaft on some was too small and on some was too big, but I found ones that were juuust right.

Because they're black, the non-original appearance is hardly noticeable against the nearly-black insulation, and the round tops actually look kinda nice within the square reliefs for the original ones.

WhyImWhenIm64

Attachments:

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 13, 2022 02:07PM

OK, Goldilocks!grinning smiley

Good use of the round clips, Bob.smileys with beer

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Rcavictor ()
Date: September 15, 2022 04:42AM

I like the round black fastener approach Bob. Nice.

Question - I assume the insulation blanket is simply for sound-reduction, right?

Rob
Ocklawaha FL

Posted by: aircooledairhead ()
Date: September 15, 2022 05:58AM

It probably also helps protect the paint on the rear deck lid by reducing heat from the engine room.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: September 15, 2022 08:11AM

WhenIm64, are you using the round black fasteners, I call bristle bolts, alone or in the center of the drilled original square retainers?
Also like was stated, the plastic has less chance of damaging the paint around the hole, leading to rust. The main reason I used the plastic retainers for the stainless windshield trim.

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio 45840

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: September 15, 2022 08:49AM

I have pulled apart blown up engines from my barn that had the heads and cylinders coated with that insulation that deteriorated and got sucked into the fan, IMO that insulation is accident waiting to happen.

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: September 15, 2022 09:04AM

I always thought the engine bay insulation was a bad idea. As Dave notes the lid pad can fall into the engine PLUS the pieces on the sides of the rear fenders can get wet and rust the lower fenders. The insulation can stay wet for a long time.

Just my opinions as always

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: September 15, 2022 10:19AM

Wagon Master, I used the round plastic fasteners alone. I chose ones with a relatively large head, so retention of the insulation was not a problem.

davemotohead, I agree with you in general but if one is using new insulation it will be years before it deteriorates to the point of being a problem.

steve c goodman, I agree with you and I always removed the fender insulation from any car I've owned, and the deck lid insulation from most. I did install repro insulation on my yellow car as pictured above, because it was too nice and too "correct" a car to leave it off.

WhyImWhenIm64

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.