Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Test of Image Hosting service
Posted by: PequotMonza64 ()
Date: September 12, 2022 01:47PM

Testing an image hosting service...

[i.postimg.cc]

Seems to work.

Very basic service which is free and does the job of putting your images on the web and providing a useful link for sharing. No bells or whistles.

[postimages.org]

Called POSTIMAGE

Glen in Ohio
1964 Monza Sedan Powerglide 110 hp
Low mileage survivor, stock as delivered
Records back to 1967 in Pequot Lakes, Minnesota
Original dealer Mike Turk's in East Liverpool, Ohio
Located in Cleveland, Ohio area

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2022 01:51PM by PequotMonza64.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Test of Image Hosting service
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: September 12, 2022 02:41PM

I don't see anything!
Image hosting services are just plain old Bad News. imo
A lot of times, a service is free, until they get a ton of people using their service.
THEN, they go monetized, and hold your images for ransom.
People don't want to pay, and then the forum loses the images.
Just an all around LOSE-LOSE situation.
It really is best to just use the Forum method of posting.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: September 12, 2022 04:33PM

American Mel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't see anything!

I see it. You can right click the link and "open in new tab" where you are taken to another site with advertising. That is why the photo hosting is free. They only give you a link to post in your thread, not a direct image address. They want to force people to look at their ads.

It really is best to upload the images to this site so a copy will always be safely stored here but the outdated, multi-step process to upload pictures on Corvair Center drives people away to other sites and leaves them feeling frustated and not wanting to post in the future.

Here is the test image after I downloaded, resized, exported and then uploaded to the forum. Easy for me but I'm an antique, just like this forum software.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Attachments:
Posted by: cschneider53 ()
Date: September 12, 2022 05:01PM

I've been using imgur for free since I started on this forum and all my images still appear in all my threads without fail.

Date: September 12, 2022 07:44PM

One of The Fortunate Ones.

WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: September 13, 2022 06:02AM

I don't know...

Even when I am logged out of the image host, when I click on that link I just get the image displayed with no ads and no fuss.

I have to say, I use AdBlock and Ghostery add-ons with Firefox, and I seldom see ads anywhere, including places like YouTube. I talk with people all the time who sit through countless obnoxious commercials every time they open a webpage, for no reason at all.

Yes, there are some sites where I have to disable these plug-ins in order to use the site, but they are very few.

Yes, some sites like CNN have just recently changed their setup so that you have to watch commercials before their videos.

Listen, there are some sites that I am happy to support through ads, but for the most part, I choose to avoid them.

Regarding storing images at this forum, we are not allowed to store images above 500k which means I have to modify every image I store here. That's a hassle.

Next, if I want to share one of those images with someone other than a forum member, that person would have to join the forum and read a message I post for that purpose.

Next, if I have a photo of a historic building or a steam locomotive, I can't store it here.

Most of the photos I take are stored at Google Photos where you cannot make images publicly visible. You can only make them visible to individuals by email address.

It used to be cheap and simple to have a domain and a website where you could post photos and descriptions. In recent years, that whole operation has become much more expensive and complicated, primarily with the advent of Wordpress and software that can do everything and will do everything for you which means that even the least expensive hosting programs charge me for capabilities and services I would never use, and the fees for those services are constantly increasing.

I was looking at image hosting as an alternative to getting sucked into that entire web hosting process again.

I'd like to start an album about work I've done on my Corvair and post it on the web. That's not what this forum is for, and it's not easily done and wouldn't be generally accessible to anyone not on the forum.

Glen in Ohio

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 13, 2022 09:25AM

" that person would have to join the forum and read a message I post for that purpose"
You can view the forum without being a member, you just can't post or message other members.

I use the Brave browser for ad blocking. It is the best I've found and you don't have to install any add ons. Never any ads on Youtube. I'm not sure how it does that since they normally force you to watch them before you can see a video. Listening to music on my phone on Youtube gets me constant ads but on my PC with Brave I get none at all. It will quit playing after a while and ask you to click to prove you are still there.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 138 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: September 13, 2022 01:24PM

Same with Opera Browser...no ads anywhere.

Date: September 13, 2022 05:58PM

PequotMonza64 Wrote:
> I don't know...
>
> Even when I am logged out of the image host, when I click on that link I just get the image displayed with no ads and no fuss.

If I have to CLICK on an image to see it, I just plain ole ain't gonna view it.
Waste of time to post it.

>
> I have to say, I use AdBlock and Ghostery add-ons with Firefox, and I seldom see ads anywhere, including places like YouTube. I talk with people all the time who sit through countless obnoxious commercials every time they open a webpage, for no reason at all.

I use the same ad-ons.
Same results.
Not sure of relevance.

>
> Yes, there are some sites where I have to disable these plug-ins in order to use the site, but they are very few.
>
> Yes, some sites like CNN have just recently changed their setup so that you have to watch commercials before their videos.
>
> Listen, there are some sites that I am happy to support through ads, but for the most part, I choose to avoid them.
>
> Regarding storing images at this forum, we are not allowed to store images above 500k which means I have to modify every image I store here. That's a hassle.

You do NOT have to STORE images here.
We just ask that they are POSTED.
I resize every picture I post and it takes no more time to do, than uploading a picture somewhere else, confused smiley and then posting a LINK to it here.
It is quite simple.
Open picture in "Paint".
Crop it if desired. (5 second more option)
Click on Resize. (Less than 1000 pixels wide, and under 500Kcool smiley
Save a copy.
Post said copy.
Done.

>
> Next, if I want to share one of those images with someone other than a forum member, that person would have to join the forum and read a message I post for that purpose.

As stated above, No one has to Join The Forum simply to view it.
As for sharing pictures with friends, I just send them the picture. eye rolling smiley

>
> Next, if I have a photo of a historic building or a steam locomotive, I can't store it here.
>
> Most of the photos I take are stored at Google Photos where you cannot make images publicly visible. You can only make them visible to individuals by email address.
>
> It used to be cheap and simple to have a domain and a website where you could post photos and descriptions. In recent years, that whole operation has become much more expensive and complicated, primarily with the advent of Wordpress and software that can do everything and will do everything for you which means that even the least expensive hosting programs charge me for capabilities and services I would never use, and the fees for those services are constantly increasing.
>
> I was looking at image hosting as an alternative to getting sucked into that entire web hosting process again.

Then DON"T!
Just post your Corvair pictures here, and avoid that hassle. winking smiley

>
> I'd like to start an album about work I've done on my Corvair and post it on the web. That's not what this forum is for, and it's not easily done and wouldn't be generally accessible to anyone not on the forum.

WHAT ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! eye popping smiley
Who you been talking to???
Many people here on CCF have created threads about their cars, and the work/progress completed on them!
We thoroughly enjoy these types of threads!

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: September 14, 2022 05:42AM

[corvaircenter.com]

Just one example

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: September 14, 2022 05:56AM

If you copy image address from your hosted site and click on the mountain/sun icon you should be able to paste address and it should show properly.

I will say when using a hosting service you can post much more detailed pictures, however they get big.

In my spyder build I got into the photobucket snafu a few years ago and it was a pain.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
62' Wagon rebuild MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2022 05:59AM by toms73novass.

Date: September 14, 2022 07:34AM

toms73novass Wrote:
> If you copy image address from your hosted site and click on the mountain/sun icon you should be able to paste address and it should show properly.
>
> I will say when using a hosting service you can post much more detailed pictures, however they get big.
>
> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

There's the rub.
If you hosted it too large, it shows here TOO LARGE!
Needing to scroll back and forth to view a picture is ridiculous.
You are not looking at a picture, you are only viewing PORTIONS of a picture.
SOOOOOOOO, you still need to resize them. (or at least you SHOULD!)
So what did you really save?
Mere seconds of your day?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2022 07:37AM by American Mel.

Date: September 14, 2022 08:00AM

American Mel Wrote:
> > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
>
> There's the rub.
> If you hosted it too large, it shows here TOO LARGE!
> Needing to scroll back and forth to view a picture is ridiculous.
> You are not looking at a picture, you are only viewing PORTIONS of a picture.
> SOOOOOOOO, you still need to resize them. (or at least you SHOULD!)
> So what did you really save?
> Mere seconds of your day?

Mel, my friend. If you can't be bothered to click on a link to see a image, then you're not being deprived of anything because you don't care enough to see it. Also, resizing and uploading a second version of an image to reduce its size is, indeed, a pain in the arse and does not take just a few seconds

Also, the web browsers that I have use the right hand button (PC anyway) to give you a lot of options some people never use. If you click on "open image in a new tab" the image is displayed properly sized to show the whole image without panning, and you can zoom in or out as you choose.

None of this is rocket science (as we used to say), and it isn't some sort of religious or social issue that we need to get upset about. If the site administrators are, indeed, in the process of moving this forum to a more modern software scheme, then this may become a complete non-issue. I assume that the 500k image size is a restriction we're limited to by the old system's maximum, not some arbitrary limit set by the administrators to save space on the server. At this point, storage space is the least of any modern system's worries because it is not expensive.

Glen in Ohio

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 14, 2022 09:40AM

Glen
the web browsers that I have use the right hand button (PC anyway) to give you a lot of options some people never use. If you click on "open image in a new tab" the image is displayed properly sized to show the whole image without panning, and you can zoom in or out as you choose.

Old dog just learned a new trick.thumbs up

So the unasked question is, when we are old and gone, who would keep up this site so pictures and discussions hosted here don't go away forever? I have books from the late 1700s that I can still read carefully. My Blue Amberola Edison cylinders still play. But I have movies on DVDs that have issues playing.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2022 09:41AM by Frank DuVal.

Date: September 14, 2022 11:01AM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
> I have books from the late 1700s that I can still read carefully. My Blue Amberola Edison cylinders still play. But I have movies on DVDs that have issues playing. <

You probably read those books when they were on the Poor Richard's Almanac bestsellers list, Frank.

:-)

Glen in Ohio

Date: September 14, 2022 11:14AM

I finally ended up finding a pretty cheap deal on web hosting and set up Wordpress site using a fairly simple "bloggy" sort of theme. I already owned two domains that I keep registered. When I get some content posted there, I'll post a link. Not sure how this will affect how I post images here. That's still to be determined, but we'll see.

As far as I am aware, any images I post to Corvaircenter.com will not be retained in the archives unless I first manually upload the images to my account using the forum's file manager. When you go to old postings in just about any automotive forum, you'll run into images that are missing because someone had them on Photobucket ten years ago and closed the account.

Just for fun, try this:

[quakertech.net]

That will always show up as long as the image is at its remote location, but it's at my personal place on a server that I control, not at some image hosting site that I might become dissatisfied with or that might go out of business.

And yes, Mel, you'll have to click on it. ;-)

Glen in Ohio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2022 11:16AM by PequotMonza64.

Date: September 14, 2022 08:20PM

Downloaded,
Resized.
Uploaded, and responded,
Less than two minutes.

Attachments:
Date: September 14, 2022 08:21PM

And NO, you do not need to put photos into the file, before up loading.
You can do it straight from your computer directly to the thread you are responding to.

Date: September 15, 2022 03:25PM

American Mel Wrote:
> Downloaded,
> Resized.
> Uploaded, and responded,
> Less than two minutes.

Two minutes is a lot of time.
Did you download and save that image to your computer?
Then you used a program on your computer to resize it?
Where is that image now stored?

Glen in Ohio

Attachments:
Date: September 15, 2022 03:45PM

I downloaded your resized image and resent it as an attachment. The result was the original image before you resized it. So, whatever you did did not resize it. It changed the display size, not the image size.

Can we agree that sending an image as an attachment is not the same as sending an image INLINE as an integral part of the post?

Right now, I'm creating a post. If I want to write an introduction and then include an image of some part of a Corvair using the editor, I would click on the image icon above where the selection for things like bold and italic are. I would then explain continue with my post and explain what I did with that part (for example painting it) and then include an image of the part in the process of being refinished. Then I would describe the painting process and include a third photo of the finished product.

All of the above is impossible unless you manually upload all three images to the Corvaircenter.com server and store them there or possibly have them stored somewhere else on the web that has a HTTP url address. If the address is on the Corvaircenter server, it should always be there. If the address of the image is at my website or at someone's image storing account, it would be unavailable if it was removed from those locations.

To me, this is the primary reason that the forum software needs to be updated. It's ridiculously hard to do a How-To article under these circumstances. I should be able to upload an image INLINE while editing a post FROM MY COMPUTER and then have it stored at the Corvaircenter server.

Yes, the forum software is outdated and not up to current standards or we would not be having to discuss uploading images twice every week.

You need to be able to

Glen in Ohio

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.