Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
CB Black Box - WTB
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: September 10, 2022 10:57AM

The black box appears to be backordered no matter what source you try to get it from.

I'm actually currently fighting with a place I ordered it from a couple of weeks ago, because they say that they have it out of stock, and that they have already refunded me my money but, oh no they haven't! Every time I call them about it they say, "Hey can I call you back?" And of course they don't.

So is there anybody out there who might have one, something that they thought they might use but didn't, would be willing to make a deal? I wouldn't be so adamant about it, except that in anticipation of the purchase, I bought a new distributor to go along with it, and I'd hate to waste it.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CB Black Box - WTB
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: September 10, 2022 11:37AM

I don't have one, sorry. But I will mention their use of the product-name "BlackBox" is in violation of my trademarked "BlackBox". It would probably cost a fortune to start a trademark case against them. I already had a case (successful) against a fuse panel competitor in the "willful misuse" category. Oh joy sad smiley

Good luck in your search nonetheless...

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: mwr ()
Date: September 10, 2022 11:49AM

Can you just send them a Cease and Desist letter using some basic (i.e. free or cheap) form?

Date: September 10, 2022 01:17PM

If you want, I could help you send the forms, Craig. I've done some Pro-se stuff. Seriously. Your box deserves the credit.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: September 10, 2022 02:37PM

Am I the only one who doesn't know / recognize the product being discussed?

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: September 10, 2022 03:05PM

No, I too am mystified by this item whose name violates trademark laws (so I won't mention it specifically) and is apparently refunded in VaporCash (hope that isn't trademarked too).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***'61 Lakewood, a "Freebie" in hibernation for 27 years - In the process of applying CPR.***

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: September 10, 2022 03:57PM

Vairismo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Am I the only one who doesn't know / recognize the product being discussed?

"That Box" that is being discussed is a simple way to complete programmable timing. It uses the distributor to figure out when to fire the plugs but does not use the distributor for timing modification. This box is well known in the VW world but is making its way to other makes of engines. It is truly wild how differently engines run when the timing curve is optimized for the load, vs a heavily compromised timing curve using springs weights and vacuum and boost canistors!... ESPECIALLY on a turbo car!

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car
Test Start#2 [www.youtube.com]

Date: September 10, 2022 04:22PM

So, the full name of what we're discussing is the 2013 CB Performance Black Box Programmable Timing Control Module.

At least, until Craig gets his day in court.

It is back-ordered until "early 2023" on their website, and that's not specific enough for me.

[www.cbperformance.com]

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: September 10, 2022 05:31PM

"It is truly wild how differently engines run when the timing curve is optimized for the load, ... ESPECIALLY on a turbo car!"

I had an Audi 5000 Turbo rated at 165 HP. For a sum there were people who modded the ECU to 225 HP. Mostly it was a slight fuel adjustment, a slight boost adjustment and a lot of timing management. Unfortunately that sum was $800 in early 1990's dollars and I was starting a family. I hated that Audi anyway. A car that failed me when I least needed it to. One year on vacation I told the wife to "pack the pink slip." The trans went near Saligman 9nowhere) Az. We just walked away from the car.

"At least, until Craig gets his day in court."

That made me chuckle. Not that I'm against any rightful litigation but the comedic "TIMING" (pun intended) just worked.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***'61 Lakewood, a "Freebie" in hibernation for 27 years - In the process of applying CPR.***

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 11, 2022 06:33AM

Pardon me for being dense but what does "CB" mean? Pretty sure it's not like Smoky and the Bandit...

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: September 11, 2022 07:15AM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
> Pardon me for being dense but what does "CB" mean? Pretty sure it's not like Smoky and the Bandit...

Just the company's name.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
62' Wagon rebuild MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: September 11, 2022 07:35AM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
> Pardon me for being dense but what does "CB" mean? Pretty sure it's not like Smoky and the Bandit...

The "CB" in CB performance comes from "Claude's Buggies", which was the original name many years ago.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car
Test Start#2 [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: September 11, 2022 07:36AM

CB used to be Claude's Buggies a VW/dune buggy parts place.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: September 11, 2022 01:39PM

I learn something everyday here. I thought Eric was looking for a CB (citizens band) item.

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: September 12, 2022 07:22AM

I’ve got a MSD 6 BTM , basically a adjustable boost retard Digital ignition.
Has a knob you mount and you can retard timing from the dash .
Haven’t tried it as I’m waiting for FI. Not nearly as sophisticated at the black box but may be a good turbo addition. Very expensive:/

1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1998 Honda Prelude Dirt track car
1967 Crown V8 under construction
Mike Levine

Date: September 12, 2022 12:13PM

Thanks, Mike.

I looked into one of those a couple of years ago.

I would still love to make a deal with anyone who might have a "CB Performance Black Box," But at this rate, since I've been waiting years, another year may be in the cards.

Maybe I should do a sequel to my "Nash Fan" script.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2022 12:14PM by playerpage.

Date: September 13, 2022 05:22PM

Had a couple of close calls, but I am still in the market for this.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota

Date: September 27, 2022 08:45AM

bump

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.