Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Corvair stalls when warm
Posted by: Amadeus_Emilio ()
Date: September 09, 2022 12:07PM

Hello, Ive been having problems with my Corvair I bought last week, I've replaced the battery, installed new headlights, cleaned and fixed horn, and done some very minimal exterior and interior cleaning. The Corvair is 1960 pg model.

the previous owner had installed a lm alternator, and an electric fuel pump. I checked the distributor and points, and it doesn't look original, but it does look brand new. The automatic choke assembly for '60's model is also missing, I believe it's called and "air throttle valve'

my problem is very specific. but in short... the engine cuts out, and goes into neutral by itself

i've tested it a few times. fist I pump the peddle twice, turn on the car, it starts right away.
I let it idle for two to 4 minutes to warm up. I drive around a bit on slightly inclined roads near my house. for the first few minutes of driving, its completely fine.

I live at the top of a steep hill. when I go down the hill I go about 25 mph, foot only on the brakes. I reach a stop sign at the bottom of the steep hill, where the street levels into an intersection. every time I make a completely stop, and am about to cross the intersection, my engine cuts out, and the car rolls to a stop,(right as depress the accelerator peddle to execute a turn, or drive through the intersection) automatically putting itself in nuetral. the engine cuts out and both the
temp-press and gen-fan lights stay red until I completely turn off the ignition.the car will not turn over until it cools off for about 20 minutes
the engine is fairly hot, but the alternator is extremely hot, too hot to touch.
the oil filter is also extremely hot, and the coil is also hot. For some reason, letting it cool is not enough to get it back home up the hill. I have to manually put it in low, raise and leave the engine compartment of the car open. only then will it make its way up the hill.
sometimes if you wait 5-10 minutes for it to cool, the engine will turn over and start, and then you can drive for a few second before it does the same thing and cuts out. This happens in drive and reverse-usually after a complete stop. I don't know what to do. I've read it may be that the alternator is receiving too high a voltage I'm worried that it may be that one time I disconnected the negative terminal of the battery from the car while it was running to fix the horns. or maybe the fan belt is too tight because I can't move it while the car's off.

I really am lost.
the car idles really smooth, and there's no weird noises when diving, but turning over the engine once it's had to cool down (10-20 minutes) does sound a little uglier than a cold start.

Any help and incite is greatly appreciated. sorry for writing so much. Thank you!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corvair stalls when warm
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 09, 2022 12:48PM

You have more than one issue. This one seems to be a good starting place:
"the car will not turn over until it cools off for about 20 minutes"
This could be a loose connection or just the common bad solenoid issue. Buy the best solenoid you can find if that is the issue. I usually get my "heavy duty" solenoids from a local starter rebuild shop. You could also have an issue with the ignition switch or wiring but that would probably give you an issue at random times instead of just when hot.
If your battery isn't fully charged the alternator could get pretty hot until it has the battery charged. Other issues can be worked on after you get the starter working.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 138 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 10, 2022 04:11AM

Does the engine have Pertronix Ignitor II Unit? If it does, Pertronix II doesn 't run well with engine/powerglide setup and now it may be failing.

If a Pertronix II, get points installed and see if it fixes it. If you still want Pertonix ,get the original and install. Do not the Pertronx II. Make sure you have the right coil for the installation.

Does the engine have Pertronix Ignitor I Unit? If it does, it may be failing.

Here the troubleshooting link for the Ignitor. Just in case.
[www.pertronix.com.au]

Coil may be failing. If coil is mounted to engine on right of distributor, move coil to rear body frame and mount vertical or with connections as high as possible from the horizontal.

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: September 10, 2022 04:35PM

To get a better understanding:

"I live at the top of a steep hill. when I go down the hill I go about 25 mph, foot only on the brakes. I reach a stop sign at the bottom of the steep hill, where the street levels into an intersection. every time I make a completely stop,..."

Is it at the exact moment you make the complete stop or...? (see next question)

"...and am about to cross the intersection,"

How long is the wait at the intersection? What I'm trying to determine is if the drive down the steep hill and the braking at the bottom is causing fuel slosh, flooding the carburetor and that is causing the stall. And, then the needed wait for restart is because of the flooding. Or is the engine not flooding but something else is causing the stall. BTW, the fuel pick up tube is toward the rear of the gas tank. If you are low on fuel and going down hill fuel may not be pick up. The engine is still running on what is in the float bowl and by coincident just runs out at the bottom of the hill?

" ... my engine cuts out, and the car rolls to a stop,(right as depress the accelerator peddle to execute a turn, or drive through the intersection) automatically putting itself in neutral."

Does the transmission lever move by itself into neutral..., or does it just feel that way because the engine has no power?

"the engine cuts out and both the temp-press and gen-fan lights stay red until I completely turn off the ignition."

That is correct for an engine no longer turning with the ignition in the on position.

"the car will not turn over until it cools off for about 20 minutes"

When you say "not turn over" do you mean the engine is locked up and won't turn at all, or do you mean it cranks (turns) but doesn't start?

Where as a loose or failing electric connection could be a problem so could fuel flooding, or starvation. Answering these question will help to better understand the problem and hopefully best advise you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***'61 Lakewood, a "Freebie" in hibernation for 27 years - In the process of applying CPR.***

Date: September 10, 2022 06:35PM

It is NOT the exact moment I come to a halt .I come to a complete stop, wait for my turn to go at the stopsign, I press down on the accelerator, and the car will get a little power from the engine (enough to move about 2 feet) before completely cutting out.

the wait at the intersection is only a few seconds, about 10 seconds (it's a stop sign intersection in a suburban area)

The transmission lever does not move to neutral, it only feels that way after the engine cuts out.

and thank you for reading!!!, I know it's a lot :/

Date: September 11, 2022 12:13PM

Lane66m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does the engine have Pertronix Ignitor II Unit? If it does, Pertronix II doesn 't run well with engine/powerglide setup and now it may be failing.
>
> If a Pertronix II, get points installed and see if it fixes it. If you still want Pertonix ,get the original and install. Do not the Pertronx II. Make sure you have the right coil for the installation.
>
> Does the engine have Pertronix Ignitor I Unit? If it does, it may be failing.
>
> Here the troubleshooting link for the Ignitor. Just in case.
> [www.pertronix.com.au]
>
> Coil may be failing. If coil is mounted to engine on right of distributor, move coil to rear body frame and mount vertical or with connections as high as possible from the horizontal.

Ill see about moving the coil further from the engine, but interns of that pertronix question, I have a pertronix 1... I think. The labeling on the thing is not very descriptive, I just assume it's a 1 because it's black instead of read here's some pictures, just incase I'm wrong

Ill test to see if the ignitor is failing today, but I have a feeling the problem is my alternator. (my brand new battery died yesterday) and right before I got my multimeter in the mail to check if it was charging ;(

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 11, 2022 01:24PM

Origntor is a black unit. Red id the Pertronix II.

Date: September 15, 2022 11:50AM

Hey, just wanted to say that the problem has been resolved. an experienced Mechanic I knew drove it for a few seconds and told me the carburetors are getting flooded too easily, and recommended a carb rebuild. He also said the time was off.
I managed to drive all the way to the shop by just making sure I accelerate super SUPER slowly.
Just wanted to say thank you so much for all your help.

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: September 16, 2022 06:14PM

Glad you got it sorted out. When you said it stalled at the bottom of a steep hill my guess was (quoting myself - LOL) "What I'm trying to determine is if the drive down the steep hill and the braking at the bottom is causing fuel slosh, flooding the carburetor and that is causing the stall."

Drive and enjoy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***'61 Lakewood, a "Freebie" in hibernation for 27 years - In the process of applying CPR.***

Posted by: CorvairHaven ()
Date: September 21, 2022 08:08AM

I'm surprised nobody recommended checking for debris under the upper shroud.
At least that would be on my list...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.