Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ignition Overheating Problem - Help smiling smiley
Posted by: jonsduckworth ()
Date: September 04, 2022 04:21PM

My 1965 110 PG is having an ignition overheating problem I could use some help with. The car was stored many years so I don’t have any knowledge pre-tuneup.

After about 15 minutes of driving the car will misfire and then die. I can hear the electric fuel pump but the car won’t start until about 1 hour and then repeat. The coil is very hot to the touch during the cool down period. The ignition is a Pertonix ignitor. I thought the coil was the issue so I replaced the AC Delco with a Pertonix 1.5 ohm flamethrower. I swapped out the wires for Denso 49541HD before putting her on the road.

Is my pertonix bad or am I running the wrong wires?

I’m getting 4v across the coil and 12v battery to coil. Alternator and voltage regulator are operating properly

Thanks for the help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ignition Overheating Problem - Help smiling smiley
Posted by: Ratt643 ()
Date: September 04, 2022 06:31PM

You need to look at Pertonix website to see what ohms resistant coil you need. I think you may need to remove the Pertronix and try points, see if the coil heats up. Ive never seen a set of coil wires cause a coil to overheat Its usually too much voltage or a bad coil. You should have 12 volts at the coil when the starter is engaged and then drop to 8 +/-n volts after startup due to the ballast wire in the harness. Where is your coil mounted? If its on the engine, its recommended to relocate it to the strut below the hood latch.

1964 Monza Coupe
1965 Corsa 140
1967 Monza Coupe

Maryville, TN
U.S. 129 The"Tail Of The Dragon"

Date: September 04, 2022 07:37PM

Hi Ratt,

Thanks for the tip, I’ll check voltage after startup. Yes, the coil is located in the original position, I’ll move it under the latch.

Thank you

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: September 05, 2022 03:13AM

First do you have the Pertronix Ignitor II in your car. If so, it does not work well at all with PG cars.

Here is the Pertronix chart to help. They will not tell you about the PG car issues with Ignitor II. They just sell their parts, once they have something that works for the engine.

Attachments:
Date: September 05, 2022 03:19AM

So now we need to know which Pertronix Ignitor you have and what coil you have, factory or some other coil.

Then we need to know if resistor wire is still in the wiring harness from the coil back to engine harness main connector.

There is a Lot that needs to be correctly configured to have a properly operating ignition system.

JMO. If you can, it would be best to mount coil with am upward tilt or vertical. This keeps oil covering internal components and less chance of leakage if seal decides to leak.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2022 03:20AM by Lane66m.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: September 05, 2022 07:41AM

I had quite a time with a Pertronix 2 in a Rampside that someone else wired wrong. Coil was getting hot in just a few minutes. Funny thing was it worked for a few years the way it was.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: September 05, 2022 08:07AM

I know I have a Flame-thrower 40011 coil (I still have the original coil also), The coil is mounted about 10 deg from vertical toward quarter panel.I'll confirm the resistor wire and the Ignitor version when I get to the garage today.

Thanks all, I'll report back!

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 05, 2022 08:25AM

According to Pertronix chart above, that is not the right coil.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: September 05, 2022 09:07AM

I lose the paying attention test.

I have another Pertronix coil that I was going to run in the Squareback, I'll see if one of the correct ones. Also, need to check resistance wire.

Thanks,

Jon

Date: September 05, 2022 10:34AM

jonsduckworth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know I have a Flame-thrower 40011 coil (I still have the original coil also), The coil is mounted about 10 deg from vertical toward quarter panel.I'll confirm the resistor wire and the Ignitor version when I get to the garage today.
>
> Thanks all, I'll report back!

We still need to know the rest of the configuration answers before we suggest
you start changing mulitple parts. Put a factory 1.5 ohm coil in it now for testing and see what happens.

Date: September 05, 2022 01:41PM

Pertronix is “Ignitor 16w-V4” and resistance wire is still plugged into the harness. Primary resistance across original coil is ~3 ohms.

Should I remove resistance wire and install old coil?

Thanks again

Date: September 05, 2022 01:46PM

Leave he resistance wire for now. Put in a 1.5 ohm factory coil.

That Pertronix number is not recognized in a Google search. Can you post a photo of it? The color of the module could help also. A photo would be preferred.

Date: September 05, 2022 02:17PM

The module labels are yellow and peeling a bit. Here is the photo:

Attachments:
Date: September 05, 2022 02:53PM

You have the Pertronix Ignitor (original). It needs the resistor wire in the harness and a 1.5 ohm factory coil or an aftermarket coil rated 1.5 ohm. The 40011 coil should work as it is a 1.5 ohm coil. Our Vair coils from factory are 6 volt coils. That is the reason for the resistor wire to run at the lower voltage. Get a known good 6 volt 1.5 ohm coil in there and see what happens.

I would double check that the resistor wire is still about 1.5 ohms. You need to disconnect wire at both ends to check it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2022 02:57PM by Lane66m.

Posted by: rudyck ()
Date: September 05, 2022 03:13PM

For us newbies you mention the resistor wire-- my question: where is this wire located in a 65 monza 110? I know there is supposed to be one but I don't know where to look. Thanks

Rudyck
65 Monza Vert 4sp
Rogers, Arkansas

Date: September 05, 2022 03:46PM

Thanks, I’ll check the resistor wire next. Since the coil is new, maybe the Pertronix is on it’s last leg.

Date: September 05, 2022 03:47PM

In the engine harness. It starts at engine harness main and travels half its length into harness. Then doubles back to be terminated in the starter lead plug on the harness.

Attachments:
Date: September 05, 2022 04:26PM

Thanks, I’ll report back this week.

Garage is too hot today to do real work, 95 deg here in SF.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 05, 2022 08:16PM

LOL 95 is nice. 115 is a little warm.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 138 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 05, 2022 08:38PM

OK, I think I stand corrected. System voltage is 12 volts. Voltage at coil only when the circuit is closed with points is 8 to 9 volts. What column of the chart is this information?confused smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.