Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
WTB Looking for "Tinted" side glass for Greenbrier
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: September 04, 2022 04:59AM

As the subject line indicates, I am looking for a couple of pieces of "Tinted" side glass for my 1964 Greenbrier Deluxe.

Until yesterday, I had been unaware that there may have ever been such a thing.
Yesterday when I started installing the new seals on the fixed rear door and 1/4 windows the folks at the Corvair Ranch informed me that they were unable to find a good used tinted piece to replace the one in my van that had the bullet holes in it.

When cleaning the 1/4 glass for the passenger side I noticed it has a stone chip in it that eventually could become an issue. Before I install Clear pieces, I thought it might be wise to reach out here and inquire if anyone might have any they were willing to part with.

The attached photo was taken the day the van was picked up back in December 2020.

P.S.
I plan on attending the event at the EMMR in York Springs PA on September 17th if someone has this and can bring it along.

Central Pa. Corvair Club’s “Corvair Day” show will be held on September 17, 2022 at the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing (EMMR). In York Springs, Pa. right off of Rt. 15 South half way between Harrisburg and Gettysburg, Pa.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2022 05:05AM by Caraholic4life.

Attachments:
Re: WTB Looking for "Tinted" side glass for Greenbrier
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: September 04, 2022 07:52AM

Tinted glass? Never heard of that option and tinted glass is not mentioned in the factory and RPO list at corvairkid.com Click for 64 FC resource center at corvairkid.com

I wonder if the tinted glass was a "very" special order or done by someone along the way as a modification?

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Canadian Monza 4dr 110/PG 40k
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: September 04, 2022 07:57AM

The only tinted glass I ever saw on an FC was the "very" special order Hearst van built for William Randolph Hearst and I guess it was used at his castle. This vehicle is now in the hands of an owner who wanted to sell it. I last saw it at the Pittsburg convention.

Date: September 04, 2022 08:10AM

I always thought that all the side glass, especially on non air conditioned GM vehicles in the 60's would typically be clear. Having "Tinted" side glass in a Greenbrier was never a thought until yesterday.

Yes there is a chance that it could be aftermarket but I can't say with any certainty one way or another.

My intention once this van is again on the road is to put aftermarket window tint on the flat glass to help keep it cool inside and keep the UV out to some degree.

No, I don't plan on doing "limo tint" as my intention is to retain the visibility all those windows afford me while driving it.

The reason for this topic is to find replacement tinted glass if I can, and/or determine if tinted glass has been documented in any other Corvair vans.

Note:
I see Tim replied while I was composing my reply. His comments seem to confirm that tinted glass is unlikely to be found but maybe not impossible.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2022 08:12AM by Caraholic4life.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: September 04, 2022 08:29AM

Easy way to determine if it is replacement (aftermarket) glass is to locate the glass logo, which is almost always located at the bottom of the glass. If the logo is LOF and it is marked "E Z Eye", then it is factory glass. If it is by any other manufacturer, then it is a piece of replacement glass that was installed after the vehicle left the manufacturing plant. I did check 3 of my parts manuals, and there is no choice for tinted glass in any of them. If you want to have tinted glass in your van, then you can have it cut out of safety plate glass fairly inexpensively. If you want the original logo added, then it will cost you an additional $30-40 per glass to have it sandblasted onto the glass. If you don't care about the logo at all, then have a local glass company cut you new clear glass. All the glass on the FCs is safety plate, with the exception of the rampside/loadside rear glass, which is tempered.
I know that Chevrolet offered Safety Plate glass as an option in the early 1960s for the Corvair sedans. Not certain if it was available for the coupes. Convertibles always had tempered glass with the exception of the vent windows.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 05, 2022 08:19AM

Curious. Why would someone (original purchaser) want the optional safety plate glass in their car?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: September 05, 2022 08:32AM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Curious. Why would someone (original purchaser) want the optional safety plate glass in their car?

It doesn't shatter when struck by a bullet unlike tempered glass.smiling smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: September 05, 2022 08:36AM

Well , there is that !grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: September 06, 2022 10:04AM

several years ago, while looking for new FC Windshields, I came across a company that cut/made glass for cars. In their listing, they had all the GB Glass save for the windshield. When I did the math, the cost to replace all the glass with NEW Tinted (not shaded) glass was going to run me $1500 with the shipping.

This was several years ago. Not sure if they are still around, certainly the price would be double if not triple these days. Took me a while to find it back then, and I just did a cursory search and have as of yet been unable to locate the company. Somewhere on my old laptop, the site may be stored in my book marks. Will check later and post the link if I find it.

Since all the glass on the GB (wiht the exception of the windshield) is flat, any auto glass shop should be able to cut a new piece.

Marco
A 2nd Gen Monza Wagon, a 2nd Gen GB 8door, a 2nd Gen (61's were 1st Gen) R/s and a 62nd Gen Turbo coupe..

Hanging out with the scorpions, king snakes, road runners, coyotes and quails In the southern desert of the silver state
Mesquite NV 89024

Date: September 06, 2022 01:45PM

I have a good used clear piece to install if needed but thought I might reach out and see if there were any tinted pieces to be had...it appears not.

Thanks everyone for you input, it is appreciated.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: September 06, 2022 05:54PM

Did you check the tinted side glass for the LOF logo? Inquiring minds need answers.

Date: September 07, 2022 08:04AM

I’m with Junk. Is the “ bug” on there?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: September 07, 2022 12:40PM

junkman Wrote:
> Did you check the tinted side glass for the LOF logo? Inquiring minds need answers.

The damaged piece of glass is long gone by now but I will try to remember to get a photo of the Passenger side glass when I go to the Ranch on Saturday.
If I remember, I will post it for all to see what is or is not there.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: NMCarNut ()
Date: September 07, 2022 12:53PM

Interesting. Since there doesn't seem to be mention of any sort of tinted glass does this also apply to the windshield?
I recently scored an "original LOF" windshield with a date code of May 1963 that is tinted, not shaded, for my upcoming Rampside restoration. It was supposed to have come out of a very low mile Greenbrier and had been in storage for decades. Unless LOF sold replacement glass with the E-Z-Eye stamp then it must be original.

Attachments:
Date: September 07, 2022 01:44PM

My Greenbrier does have a Tinted Windshield but not Shaded.
I think it is original to the van and at the moment the weatherstrip needs replaced so I am considering replacing it with a New Tinted windshield if I can source one.
It is my understanding that Tinted Windshields were indeed available for the FC Corvair from GM.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: September 07, 2022 08:12PM

What are you going to do with the original tinted windshield? My 64 Greenbrier has a tinted windshield, but it was damaged by a rock when towing it home when I first purchased it.angry smiley

Why wouldn't replacement LOF tinted windshields have the E Z Eye logo?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2022 08:15PM by Frank DuVal.

Date: September 07, 2022 08:54PM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
> What are you going to do with the original tinted windshield? My 64 Greenbrier has a tinted windshield, but it was damaged by a rock when towing it home when I first purchased it.angry smiley
>
>
> Why wouldn't replacement LOF tinted windshields have the E Z Eye logo?

I don't know what the present situation is for FC windshields, because the company that was manufacturing them for Pilkington Classics stopped production of all antique auto glass about a year and a half ago. The company was AGP or Auto Glass Peru. The reason for the sudden halt in production was the result of getting a contract to produce glass for the Tesla cars.
Now to address the matter of a tinted and shaded windshield. From what I was told the shading at the top of the windshield came down too low, hence GM only offered a tinted glass windshield, not a tinted/shaded windshield. I believe that there was a run of tinted/shaded windshields, but the car owners were not happy having to look through the shaded part of the windshield. It is my supposition that you sit higher in the FC than you would in a passenger car, so your view of the road is centered higher on the windshield.

Date: September 08, 2022 01:03PM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
> What are you going to do with the original tinted windshield? My 64 Greenbrier has a tinted windshield, but it was damaged by a rock when towing it home when I first purchased it.angry smiley
>

I sent you a PM.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: September 10, 2022 02:21PM

OK everyone, I went to begin installing glass back in the Greenbrier this morning and it went much slower than I had anticipated.

Looking at the glass for markings, I saw it was marked as LOF Safety Soft Ray Laminated rather than Tempered like I saw in dozens of other Corvair Vans today.

I will guess that this was aftermarket glass rather than factory installed but did note that all of the flat glass in the van including the vent window glass was marked the same way.

Unless I had needed to replace the left rear 1/4 glass, I would have never known it was anything different from OE.

While cleaning the glass for reinstallation, I noted several places where the several pieces of the glass have "DA" marks in it from an orbital sander which occurred prior to my ownership.

While reinstalling one of the rear door pieces, I pressed a bit to hard after it was in and broke it. Now I have two pieces of non tinted glass for the van so I am considering finding a good complete set of clear glass to replace everything and have it match. For now, I am simply installing what I have so it can be brought home and I can work on it as time permits after work.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Attachments:
Date: September 10, 2022 06:40PM

The V7 had me baffled for a moment, but then I realized that the piece of glass has a 1969 (V) date on it, and the 7 indicates the month of July. That was cut out of a sheet of material with the logo already in place. Soft Ray is the later logo, so my guess is that this was possibly sourced from GM even though the parts book doesn't offer a tinted option. Stranger things have happened through the years. I would check the rest of the tinted glass to see if it is E Z Eye or Soft Ray. I don't remember what year GM and LOF got into their tiff about who owned what brand markings and settled the issue with GM changing all OEM glass to Soft Ray and all replacement glass to E Z Eye. Also keep in mind that if the van was a special order, GM at that time would do whatever the customer wanted to sell a vehicle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.