Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Were there really any 65 Monza Spyders?
Posted by: Kamaka ()
Date: August 16, 2022 04:04PM

BEFORE THIS STARTS: Yes I know in 1965 it was called a Corsa - I have one sitting in my garage.

I have heard tales and even seen GM renderings of a 1965 Corvair (late body style) with Monza AND Spyder emblems on it. I have been told that GM used the Monza Spyder designation while gearing up for the 65 model BUT that when production started they went with the Corsa designation. Still I have heard tales of late model 1965 corvais designated as spyders.

I have never seen one?

No real photos. Have any of you ever seen one?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Were there really any 65 Monza Spyders?
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: August 16, 2022 04:11PM

Everything I have heard or read states it exactly as you just did.
Spyder used during development, but NEVER in '65 and later production.
Although, someone did make up some 180 Spyder air-cleaner stickers as a joke.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: Kamaka ()
Date: August 16, 2022 04:51PM

Yes, Clarks sold them - they may still sell them - I ma not sure of their origin BUT I do know Clarks has sold them for at least 40 years that way. I have a sticker set rom them from the mid-70's and there is one in it.

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: August 16, 2022 05:00PM

Kamaka Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, Clarks sold them - they may still sell them - I ma not sure of their origin BUT I do know Clarks has sold them for at least 40 years that way. I have a sticker set rom them from the mid-70's and there is one in it.

Clark's still sells them - with the caveat that a few people claim their car had the decal on their cars.

Does not mean a whole lot (decal) - and since anybody can put anything on their car, it is basically a moot point.

Maybe Dave Newell (was / is CORSA Historian?) knows more.

Found an index for "Stock Is" articles on CORSA website: Decals discussed in June 1988 and October 1990 issues of CORSA Communique.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2022 05:07PM by RobertC.

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: August 16, 2022 05:39PM

My '65 Corsa was built in the early part of the production run, in Van Nuys, Ca. ( Los Angeles ) It still has the original sticker on the air cleaner that says Spyder at the top & 180 hp at the bottom. The story I like best is that GM was originally going to call the new '65's a Spyder & after several ( hundred ? )were built, they decided to name it a Corsa. The stickers had already been printed & some got put on these early cars. I have seen pictures of an early '65 prototype that did have a chrome Spyder word emblem on the lower part of the front fenders but I don't believe any production cars got that emblem. Only the air cleaner stickers.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: August 16, 2022 05:57PM

No, no, no, no. I have a buddy that owns the first ‘65 Corsa. It never had any Spyder badges. Always Corsa!

Mike
YS-117

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: August 16, 2022 10:16PM

Mike, was your friends car built in Van Nuys ? The stories I've heard usually seem to point to that factory as to where it happened.
I agree that none of the early Corsa's had Spyder chrome badges on the body but a few turbo's did get the mixed up Spyder / 180 hp air cleaner sticker. My very original coupe still has it.

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: August 16, 2022 11:15PM

I once bought a non running 65 Corsa. Parked for years.
It was loaded with spiders. tongue sticking out smiley

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: August 17, 2022 03:02AM

Doug - It’s a WRN car.

Mike
YS-117

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: August 17, 2022 10:08AM

I'll trot this out again.

[corvaircenter.com]

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa coupe basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: August 17, 2022 08:47PM

Quoting from Dave Newell's the (in)COMPLEAT CORVAIR STORY 1979, page 39-40:

"Of course all the prototypes of the top line model were designated Monza Spyders, since the decision to go to the Corsa name came at the VERY last minute. In fact, the first such cars off the line at Willow Run were Spyders, complete with script on the glovebox door and fender emblems. That's why the '65 Monza fender emblem is placed so high. Charles Lee of Houston took his '65 Spyder coupe to CORSA's Birmingham Mini-Convention several years ago and, as I understand it, NONE of the judges believed it was for real."

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa coupe basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: August 18, 2022 02:40AM

I seriously doubt there were any Spyders built for sale. There would have to be special fenders made with the proper holes for the emblems and usually a huge supply of fenders would have to have been scrapped at a huge cost.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: August 18, 2022 06:05AM

I have been told that the very early production Spyder/Corsa use the 1964 Style exhaust. Has this ever been confirmed or proven incorrect?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: August 18, 2022 07:02AM

Mine has always had EM exhaust

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Carburetor ()
Date: August 18, 2022 09:37AM

irfgt Wrote:
> I seriously doubt there were any Spyders built for sale. There would have to be special fenders made with the proper holes for the emblems and usually a huge supply of fenders would have to have been scrapped at a huge cost.

My understanding (not sure where I read / heard about it) was that drill fixtures were used to add the emblem holes after body assembly to enable common stampings since 500 / Monza / Corsa all have different emblem locations. I believe this to be true for the engine emblems as well. I believe this was a fairly common practice at Fisher Body to differentiate between different models - I personally witnessed them in use at Lansing Car Assembly on Pontiac Grand Am / Buick Skylark bodies in the early '90's.

Jim C.
Chesterfield, MI

1966 Monza convertible (140 / PG)
2017 Chevrolet Trax (daily driver)
2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (wife's ride)

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: August 18, 2022 01:48PM

Anyone have a picture of a LM Monza Spyder glove box door?

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: August 19, 2022 07:37AM

The body would have holes in the front fender filled? Or did the factory have a template to make the holes? I know the Corsa have a spot on the body where the rear emblem goes right though a support. Would that not be there or be homemadeish on the early Corsa's?

scottymac Wrote:
> Quoting from Dave Newell's the (in)COMPLEAT CORVAIR STORY 1979, page 39-40:
>
> "Of course all the prototypes of the top line model were designated Monza Spyders, since the decision to go to the Corsa name came at the VERY last minute. In fact, the first such cars off the line at Willow Run were Spyders, complete with script on the glovebox door and fender emblems. That's why the '65 Monza fender emblem is placed so high. Charles Lee of Houston took his '65 Spyder coupe to CORSA's Birmingham Mini-Convention several years ago and, as I understand it, NONE of the judges believed it was for real."

Posted by: texas yenko dude ()
Date: August 19, 2022 08:12AM

Charles Lee here in Houston (one of the founders of Corvair Houston in the early 70's) built/ faked a 65 Spyder coupe years ago. Late 70's or early 80's. He took a 65 Corsa Coupe and welded up the emblem holes and added the Monza crosses and Spyder emblems, etc. I remember a photo of the car on the front of the Corvair Houston newsletter back in the day. The car ended up being totaled by his now ex wife. It took a hard hit to the right side.

Texas YENKO Dude
YS-070
YS-199
YS-320
Southeast of Disorder

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: August 19, 2022 08:14AM

The prototype pilot cars were always built at Willow Run first. I wrote a detailed post some years ago about the 65 Corsa Pilot car that I found some years back. It had items dated as early as February 1964 on it. It had NO signs of ever having any Spyder emblems on it or having any holes filled. The only 1965 model year Corvairs GM photographed with Spyder emblems were the fullsize fiberglass protypes that predated the Pilot line cars.
So in a nut shell; No. A 65 Corvair Spyder was never produced.
[corvaircenter.com]

Lee J

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2022 08:18AM by gnvair.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: August 19, 2022 09:20AM

Was there a Trim Tag on that Corsa pilot car and do you have a picture of it Lee?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.