Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Modifying Fuel Pump - "Pass Thru" With Electric
Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: August 16, 2022 10:11AM

Before I attempt to reinvent the wheel (so to speak) are there any tips on converting a mechanical fuel pump to "pass thru" the fuel. I've already installed the electric pump up front.

I have too many concerns about the diaphragm leaking into the engine oil so I don't want to have both. It just seems that retaining the pump as a pass thru point would allow me to keep the hard fuel lines as/is.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***'61 Lakewood, a "Freebie" in hibernation for 27 years - In the process of applying CPR.***

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Modifying Fuel Pump - "Pass Thru" With Electric
Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: August 16, 2022 10:20AM

The venders sell a new center section for the pump to do just that. Some people have installed some copper tubing into the original center. If you search you might be able to find some pictures.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Date: August 17, 2022 01:15PM

Thank you. I often use Google images to find such things and that was helpful. While the internal tubing seemed a very secure method the external fittings don't go deep into the housing and thus soldering then would seem difficult.

I made two plates (BTW, original appearance is not important). On the lower section I have three options:

1. - not use a lower plate at all. Even if the existing rubber gasket failed it would only fill the chamber below it which would be inconsequential. Only the "pinched" inner and outer perimeter areas need to seal.

2. - use a lower plate and drill a hole in the plate for the guide (red arrow in image #3) to pass thru.

3. - or cut down the guide and leave the plate without a hole. In either case the internal, vertical section would seem to seal with a gasket.

On the mid-section it seems I need to open the divider between the inlet and the outlet (blue arrows image #3) then cap with a plate plate.

Summary: It seems the simplest would be to forgo the bottom plate, Open the divider between the inlet/outlet and cap the top with the plate(s) I made. I figure I'll use both plates for rigidity. I can use the existing lower seal and cut out the intermediate seal from the diaphragm (both in decent condition - pliable, no tear or cracks). Other than to reconstruct the divider wall (JB Weld) and replace the diaphragm this leaves the fuel pump as constructed and recoverable if desired.

Thoughts/comments?

Attachments:
Posted by: SpyderMan ()
Date: August 17, 2022 02:45PM

The block that Clarks sells works very well. I was planning on something similar to what you are cooking. The one thing that scares me is that you still have two seals that can fail and send raw fuel right on to the engine and the alternator or Generator is right there. Looks like clarks is out of the block right now but I think it was good $60 spent.

Sam Russell
Durham NC
1962 Monza Wagon Ted Brown EFI Gen II
1964 Spyder coupe

Posted by: Nick_Soapdish ()
Date: August 17, 2022 03:04PM

The other option is to replace the fuel pump with a block-off plug ($20-$25) and plumb the fuel lines together. It would probably take some bending of the inlet, which I know you're trying to avoid, but might be less fiddlin' around in the long run. Here's what I ended up with:

Dylan
'62 95 Panel
Port Orchard, WA

Wagons and vans, just clap your hands.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: August 17, 2022 03:52PM

If you are not worried about keeping it stock, you might want to consider what a few on here have done.
They reversed the fuel lines and swapped them side to side, so they met at the front of the engine.
Then they only had to make one simple line from under the wheel-well area into the engine compartment.
There are two advantages of doing it this way.
#1. It keeps the fuel lines away from that "dangerous" fan-belt.
and
#2. It really cleans up the appearance of the engine compartment.
A third bonus, if a person wants to go back to Factory Stock Original, the original fuel lines have not been modified, so a simple swap back, and you are completely stock again.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: August 17, 2022 09:24PM

Thank you everyone. Those are some good options. Regarding the concern about the section seals my understanding is that some of the pumps had too long of a diaphragm rod and it would tear the rubber. The other was that the screws would come loose, cause separation and thus the internal leakage. With all the rubber gasket sections becoming stationary and nyloc nuts on the screws I think a lot of those issues can be eliminated.

That said (reversing direction literally and figuratively) the appeal of reversing the lines is something I will seriously contemplate. I have a tubing bender, spare steel fuel line (one of the few spare "anything's" I have) and a decent Snap-On flaring tool. I have a lathe, scrap aluminum round stock and can make the FP plug for $0. Thanks again. I'm glad I asked and glad I delayed dicing up an otherwise good fuel pump.

***'61 Lakewood, a "Freebie" in hibernation for 27 years - In the process of applying CPR.***

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: August 18, 2022 04:46PM

Mel, I like your idea. My biggest concern is that since the electric pump is mounted forward by the tank, I don't like that the rubber hose joint by the starter will be taking the full pressure of the pump. I would be inclined to flare the main supply line & connect that to a new flared line going to a regulater ( which can become the "T" needed to go to each carb. Comment ?

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Posted by: nirvairna ()
Date: August 18, 2022 06:22PM

DOUG WARD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mel, I like your idea. My biggest concern is that since the electric pump is mounted forward by the tank, I don't like that the rubber hose joint by the starter will be taking the full pressure of the pump. I would be inclined to flare the main supply line & connect that to a new flared line going to a regulater ( which can become the "T" needed to go to each carb. Comment ?

you need some flex at the engine to account for its movement, I'd continue to use rubber with quality hose clamps

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: August 18, 2022 06:44PM

nirvairna, you have a good point also. BTW, the pump also has a hose connection at its output nipple to the main supply pipe, going back to the engine.

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: August 18, 2022 08:28PM

We're also only talking about 3-6 p.s.i......hopefully.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: August 19, 2022 07:40AM

I replaced my hose with ethanol grade fuel injection hose.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: August 21, 2022 05:45PM

After looking this over it seems the moving, reversing the fuel lines to the front likely will have have interference because my 1961 Lakewood has the offset air cleaners with the connecting tube in the proximity of where the line would move to.

I'll have to reconsider plan "A-1" (guttered pump) or plan "A-1.1" (creating a fuel line directly to the "tee" as Nick_Soapdish displayed in the 5th post.

Date: August 22, 2022 05:02PM

I was asked a PM question about my issue with moving the fuel lines as it was believed Richard had done so on his EM. I'm copying my reply here to post an image (stock images, not mine) to put the matter in perspective.

"Richard has a '60 Corvair sedan with the single, elevated filter canister. My Lakewood has the FC type (dual, low slung) filter system to fit under the floor of the station wagon."

Still deciding my course of action. I've got carb cluster matching issues to deal with first. But still moving forward. Today was clean, and Clean and CLEAN and then pack, and Pack and PACK grease in the rear wheel bearings. One (of many) steps at a time.

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.