Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
wanted aftermarket early posi cover/spider gears
Posted by: mrmel ()
Date: August 15, 2022 05:24PM

I need an aftermarket early posi cover. Clark"s is out of them. Anybody out there got one? Also need 4 new spider gears. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wanted aftermarket early posi cover/spider gears
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: August 16, 2022 04:44AM

I make the parts for the 4 spider, I modify your housing.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: August 16, 2022 05:50AM

You can convert your early Posi over to a late Posi cover and 9 bolt ring gear ( much Stronger) by machining the late bearing hub flush with the side bearing.Then transfer punch the 7 bolt holes that don’t line up with the early carrier and you in business. That’s what’s in my early racer

1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1998 Honda Prelude Dirt track car

Mike Levine

Date: August 16, 2022 02:13PM

I just need the stronger 6 bolt early aftermarket cover. I have an assembled early 4 spider with 4 spider gears. Just need the cover.
Need the 4 spider gears for another project.
Thank you for your comments.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: August 16, 2022 03:50PM

Do you have the GM part number of the gears that you are looking for? I am relatively sure of the item, but I have a lot of spider gears from other Chevrolet models in the boxes, so a part number will make looking easier.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: edconnolly ()
Date: August 16, 2022 04:23PM

If I remember correctly, both the 6-bolt and the 9-bolt patterns are drilled in the aftermarket covers for early and late diffs. If you find a cover for late models, do as Mike Levine recommended and simply remove the excess length on the bearing hub so it can be used with your early carrier.

Date: August 16, 2022 04:32PM

3974949 taken from late parts list 1976. 10T-shaft hole 11/16

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: August 17, 2022 10:39AM

Not sure if this will help. Was ready to bolt up, when I decided, go this deep for a four spider Metcalf build, might as well get the billet cover. May have gotten Clark's last one. It IS a late model. I'd like $150, shipping included for lower 48.

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa coupe basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Attachments:

Date: August 17, 2022 04:28PM

Scott, Thanks but I already an assembled 4 spider early differential that just needs an early stouter posi cover. Thank you anyhow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.