Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
No cold start 65 turbo (& vapor lock issue)
Posted by: vegavairbob ()
Date: August 15, 2022 12:51PM

this is a restored 65 Corsa convertible. carb rebuilt 2019. Fuel pump was replaced with a newer stock AC Delco a month later.
after three years of ownership...if I shut down the car after driving a few miles it will not restart until hours or even a day later. If I drive it 10 miles to a show and shut it down, it will restart at the end of the day and I've gotten home 5 out of six shows. One time two years ago it wouldnt start at all. The Pres of LI Corvair helped and primed carb. it started. I have a no start (cold) again. I primed the carb like Vic did and it starts (several times) but will not continue to run.

Is it Fuel pump (have another AC Delco pump) or Fuel filter dont know when it was last changed or something else.

also any help with the vapor lock issue (when I get it running will be greatly appreciated). I can't enjoy this car. Shame.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: No cold start 65 turbo (& vapor lock issue)
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: August 15, 2022 01:00PM

If you do not know the history of your fuel filter, it would be a good idea to change it, even if that is not the cause of your problems.
It is always good to start from a clean slate when diagnosing issues.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: August 15, 2022 01:02PM

any idea about the no start other than running five seconds after priming carb?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2022 01:03PM by vegavairbob.

Date: August 15, 2022 01:04PM

I don't have any YH experience.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge in that arena will chime in soon.

WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: August 15, 2022 01:07PM

My guess is the fuel pump from the 10% ethanol gas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2022 01:15PM by vegavairbob.

Date: August 15, 2022 01:37PM

have you tested the fuel pump?

Date: August 15, 2022 01:53PM

dont know how was thinking of changing it. hate to uce another not knowing if the the one used for three years is still good.

Date: August 15, 2022 02:23PM

Disconnect the fuel line after the pump, and place some kind of contain under it, to catch and gas.
Then loosen the bolt that holds the fuel-pump in place and push it up and down, manually working the plunger.

If it is pumping, gas will pour into you catch container.
If no fuel, then bad pump.
If it pumps, re-set the holding bolt, and proceed.
Once you have determined that you do have fuel flow, you can go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap Vacuum/Fuel Pressure Kit.
With the pump installed have someone turn the engine over while you check the pressure on the gauge.

Posted by: roger65180 ()
Date: August 15, 2022 04:31PM

for the turbo carb to start the choke must be set to close fully this is an easy adjustment , remove the air cleaner housing losen the screws on the choke housing and rotate it to close the choke , it just needs to close fully not tight , once closed you should then check the choke while holding the throttle wide open it should open the choke about 7/16 of an inch and releasing the throttle the choke should close again . hope this helps

Roger R
Madison Wi
62 ct pg turbo
65intercooled 180 4sp,autocrosser
62 Rampy

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: August 15, 2022 04:38PM

Have you checked the ignition system for proper spark? May be blaming the wrong item.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: August 15, 2022 06:37PM

Ignition is probably ok or it wouldnt start when primed. It sounds like the fuel pump is only working when the engine is running, and just barely then!

It wont be able to overcome a tendency to vapor lock if the suction side of the pump is weak.

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8 door Greenbrier, +.060, stroked 1/4", 186 ci.140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2022 06:40PM by Brizo.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 15, 2022 07:26PM

Will it start after the typical (for a Corvair) 15 minute hot soak if you ice the fuel pump? If ice works, it is vapor lock. And as Dan says, a weak pump, usually from loose check valves, worsens vapor lock.

If you pump the accelerator when it won't start will fuel be seen in the carburetor throat?

When it does not start does the tachometer show cranking speed not zero?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: August 15, 2022 09:08PM

It runs when I prime the carb.

Date: August 15, 2022 09:11PM

That is definitely a fuel issue, and NOT spark.
Check out that pump as stated above.

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: August 16, 2022 04:42AM

Sounds like vapor lock. Get an electric pump, and use ethanol free fuel if you can find it locally. As for the choke, I haven’t had one on my stock carb for 20 years, starts right up, but anytime it sat for a little while, the gas would evaporate from the carb, all local gas in Illinois had ethanol in it.

I’d go with one of Ted Browns in tank pumps, have fun!

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: August 16, 2022 05:06AM

Inspect the rubber fuel line just on the other side of the fire wall, any leak there where be worse if you have vapor lock.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 16, 2022 10:55AM

zarfnober
I haven’t had one on my stock carb for 20 years, starts right up,

Where do you live? This is NOT my experience at all here in Virginia. Choke no close on a YH, cold car not start.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 16, 2022 04:16PM

I agree. Most carburetors don't really need a choke but the YH accelerator pump doesn't work without vacuum so the choke is critical in my experience.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 138 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: August 17, 2022 07:27AM

A fuel pressure gauge needs to be installed at the carb inlet to check pressure, running and rest. It will also tell if there is a problem with the fuel return line to the tank from the filter. If it is not functioning vapor lock will be worse.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: August 17, 2022 09:47AM

Your problems are not uncommon. This is why people replace YH carbs, I imagine. My own 1966 turbo has the original YH carb, rebuilt, but I still have this issue. Check your choke setting to be sure it is as rich as possible, that can sometimes help, but in reality if you turn off a YH carb too soon you're not going anywhere for at least two hours.

Concerning its ability to start up again later in the day, that's because you came to full operating temperature in the meantime. (Air-cooled and all that.) Another important thing is to let the car run for a minute or two before pulling out of the driveway, and for a minute or two when you arrive before you turn it off.

Vapor lock is again another factor in the YH carb design. It was never meant to get as hot as it does in the Corvair Turbo setup. Every car it was ever put in in the 50s was water cooled. But it was the only practical solution for the turbo design at that time, so here we are. I've seen the carburetor replaced with Webers, Hollys, and Porsche or Volkswagen designs, but those require further modifications besides just the carburetor. Since I have an affection for the stock look that's not what I want to do. However, there are people who have done fuel injection conversions where the YH carb is left in there as a dummy, so they look very close to how they would look stock.

But if, like me, you want to keep the YH, then you have to keep the quirks. The car can be lots of fun anyway, it's a turbo! Just count your blessings because most of the problems with starting and vapor lock will happen at your own house!

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.