Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: No cold start 65 turbo (& vapor lock issue)
Posted by: corvairsince70 ()
Date: August 17, 2022 10:33AM

The several turbo 180 Corvairs I have had and driven daily must have been special. I did not have any of these problems talked about here. Mine started just fine, summer or winter. Did not have hot soak issues or vapor lock. I ran stock fuel pumps. Typically set the choke at 2-3 notches lean so the choke was not closed all the way. Loved the way they drove and want to get another one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: August 17, 2022 10:49AM

What was the most recent year you have had or driven one. I've owned mine since 66 and it was my DD for many years. I even switched with my Mom for her automatic Cuda so I could drive after braking my leg in 3 places (no complaints from her). The car ran , started, idled perfectly until they started messing with gas and has gotten continually was as they continue messing with it even more. Even the non ethanol is now where close to 60s, 70s gas.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: August 17, 2022 11:40AM

If you have a YH with no internal fuel or vacuum leakage, a choke that works, a fuel pressure bleed off orifice, and a stock fuel pump that will hold vacuum and only pump 3-4 psi., you shouldnt have any problem....I guess the only thing we cant improve is the gasoline!

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8 door Greenbrier, +.060, stroked 1/4", 186 ci.140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: August 17, 2022 12:28PM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree. Most carburetors don't really need a choke but the YH accelerator pump doesn't work without vacuum so the choke is critical in my experience.

The accelerator pump DOES NOT need vacuum to operate. Don’t believe me? Fine. Next time you have one off you will notice that because of its design, without a spring holding the throttle plate closed, the throttle plate is open, and the acc pump is past it’s operational point. Basically the YH acc pump works backwards, the pump spring is depressed with throttle CLOSED, open the throttle and guess what happens? Yep, gas comes out. Still don’t believe me? Hold the carb with the throttle shut, and look down venturi with choke open and open the throttle, do it more than once to convince yourselves, and make sure there’s gas in the fuel bowl. You will have gas spilling out, so proceed accordingly.

The choke has been off my current turbo for 21 years, and it was off the one I had in the 80’s/90’s. Starts right up. I’ve been tempted to make a video of this, maybe someday.

Rocco

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: August 17, 2022 02:14PM

If you've figured out how to get your YH to work without the choke I'd love to see a video of that.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: blackspyder ()
Date: August 17, 2022 03:03PM

Ive seen companies that make wrap for around fuel lines, I wonder if this would help the vapor lock issues by wrapping the gas lines in the engine compartment too keep them cooler?

Roger Fedor
Whitehall, PA
1963 Spyder Coupe, currently undergoing re-restoration

Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: August 17, 2022 04:42PM

playerpage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you've figured out how to get your YH to work without the choke I'd love to see a video of that.

Instructions were already provided, try it next time you take the carb off.

Rocco

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 17, 2022 07:48PM

Vapor lock is a condition where the fuel boils (becomes vapor) and vapor is not pumpable (yes I think I made up that word). This is only relevant in the fuel pump, as that is where pumping happens. The problem is the vaporized fuel is very thin so the diaphragm can not move enough gasoline molecules to fill a carburetor float bowl. The carburetor float bowl can empty from heat soak, but the fuel pump is supposed to refill it so the carburetor will work properly.

The Corvair fuel pump is in the "cold" (outside) air flow of the engine when running, but when it is shut off the block and head heat rises into the fuel pump. This can boil the fuel in the pump, causing Vapor Lock.

A quick test to see if Vapor Lock is the issue is to confirm there is no fuel going to the carburetor then ice the fuel pump and see if it starts pumping fuel. On H and HV carburetors this is by removing the air cleaner and look into the throat of the carbs and see if the accelerator pump is squirting the two streams. YH a little harder, but same, remove air cleaner, look into throat and see if fuel is pumping in.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: August 17, 2022 09:16PM

So then vapor lock is less likely in a car converted to an electric pump located underneath?

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: August 18, 2022 02:31AM

You are using premium fuel, right?

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 18, 2022 07:56AM

Eric
So then vapor lock is less likely in a car converted to an electric pump located underneath?

Yes! If the pump is fed by gravity from the tank it should never vapor lock, as it always has liquid fuel in it. If vapor was to form there, it would be compressed by the liquid fuel, then be fed to the carburetor where it would vent off in the float bowl.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.