Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Now We're Talkin'
Posted by: FoiledAgain ()
Date: August 15, 2022 09:09AM

A Corvair-powered Speedster? Yes, please!

[bringatrailer.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Now We're Talkin'
Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: August 15, 2022 11:07AM

"a pair of Solex-type carbs".

Also could have been written as 'stock Corvair carbs'.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: August 15, 2022 11:31AM

WOW ! I love this car.Back in the day, I helped my brother put a Corvair ( reversed rotation ) in a theft recovery 912 Porsche. The owner later traded it in at a used car lot. The sales people there sold it as a 911, since it had a 6 cylinder motor. The buyer had it a couple of weeks & found out about the engine and incorrectly calling it a 911 & sued the heck out of the dealer, as he had paid 911 money for it. That car was really quick, & its too bad that it was so misrepresented .

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Date: August 15, 2022 11:34AM

Wonder if anyone has adapted a set of Zeniths to a Corvair?
The accompanying video looks like a real gas. Thing whips.
Always wondered why someone would go to the trouble of reversing the Corvair's rotation with a special cam when all it takes to suit a Type 1 VW trans to a Corvair- and not have 4 gears in reverse- is to flip the ring gear. Probably I'm missing something.

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: August 15, 2022 12:03PM

Nice car, but doubt anyone on this forum will be buying it. Ok if I'm proven wrong of course.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: August 15, 2022 12:09PM

Foiledagain
Always wondered why someone would go to the trouble of reversing the Corvair's rotation with a special cam when all it takes to suit a Type 1 VW trans to a Corvair- and not have 4 gears in reverse- is to flip the ring gear. Probably I'm missing something.

It is my understanding(form conversations here on CCF), that flipping the ring gear will indeed give you four forward gears, but you will then be running on the Back Side of the the teeth.
This is "okay" at best, but it is not good for wear in the long run, and should only be used for lower powered applications, as teeth are much weaker with power applied that way.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: August 15, 2022 12:44PM

My old Corvair mechanic put a Corvair engine in a REAL Speedster - before I was a customer - probably early 70's.

Date: August 15, 2022 04:39PM

It is my understanding(form conversations here on CCF), that flipping the ring gear will indeed give you four forward gears, but you will then be running on the Back Side of the the teeth.
This is "okay" at best, but it is not good for wear in the long run, and should only be used for lower powered applications, as teeth are much weaker with power applied that way.

Yes, that is common wisdom though I've been running a flipped-gear trans on my '65 Bus- Split-Window Buses have RGBs so their trans are reversed-output relative to T1 boxes- for 12 years and all's well, no issues. It's a one-ton load-capacity vehicle and gets used hard. Corvair motors quite a bit more powerful, though.

Rob't C, an old friend of mine found his bluey-purple outlaw '56 Speedster in 1971, running a Corvair engine.
356s were cheap as dirt back then, and often bashed-up, raced and hacked etc.
He later replaced the Corvair engine with a Porsche but felt he lost power and smoothness in the deal. Much faster with the Corvair motor.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: August 16, 2022 06:01AM

There is a flipped ring gear in the Porsche 914 transaxle in the La Boa Sports Racer and it works well. Now deceased Bill (can't recall) with Dune Buggy Supply claimed his expertise in doing it is what produced good results.
The big air cleaners look lonely on a single carburetor.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2022 06:03AM by JimBrandberg.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.