Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Need opinions about small ball bearing
Posted by: Kristi ()
Date: August 14, 2022 06:26PM

Hey, all.

I have been digging into my engine far too deeply. I was pulling all my lifters using carb cleaner and a magnet. 10 out of 12 came out easily. 2 are stuck even with dropping the pan and using a lot of carb cleaner.

When I dropped the pan, there was a single ball bearing in the front part of the pan. What do you think that could have come from?

Thank you in advance for the opinions and advice.

Kristi

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need opinions about small ball bearing
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: August 14, 2022 06:33PM

From a lifter that came apart years ago. Post a couple pictures of the side and top of the lifters you're removing.

Posted by: Kristi ()
Date: August 14, 2022 06:42PM

Ok. It is dark and raining. I will post tomorrow. There are 2 different types of lifter in the car. The drivers side has the type that look like the sealed power. The passenger side has lifters that look like the ones in the 1961 shop manual for the turbo air engine. My car is a 1964 Monza convertible, fyi. 110 power glide.

Kristi

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: August 15, 2022 07:29AM

I agree with Wagon on that bearing coming from a lifter that came apart. Especially since you have found a bank of aftermarket lifters.
Be careful extracting the stuck lifters. I have had a couple engines that I had to split the crankcase and extract stubborn lifters inwards. Then I could clean the built up obstruction more easily. I believe these may have had burnt STP or some other goofy crap in the oil. Regardless, I was doing a complete rebuild anyway.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: August 15, 2022 09:29AM

If the bottom of the lifter is worn enough, it will begin to flare out on the edges. If you try to remove it through the bore , it will score the bore. Look closely.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: August 16, 2022 06:17AM

I have a little slide hammer tool for removing lifters. It will not always expand and grab properly but sometimes it's just the thing.
I had some sticklers a few months ago. Seems like I got something hooked into the center hole to get them out which was nerve wracking because then it really had to come out. That case did end successfully except for the excessive time which is difficult to account for.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: August 16, 2022 08:21AM

I would not try to take lifters out that wont slide out... found this out the hard way on one of my engines years ago. I forced the lifter out and it scratched the lifter bore, badly!

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car
Test Start#2 [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: August 16, 2022 08:51PM

Another reason they might be hard to get out is carbon around the bottom edge.
The 2 sticklers I mentioned above were hard to get out but getting them out did not ruin anything. I sure was not up to splitting the crankcase over one noisy lifter on that job. The owner maybe didn't even want to address it but I certainly didn't want him pulling in somewhere saying I worked on the car for him. I could hear a lifter from a ways off.
How did you apply enough force to injure the lifter bore? It's usually hard to get a grip on them. Pry from the bottom somehow?

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.