Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: 1965 Corvair 110 hp Head Work Needed
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: August 15, 2022 05:51PM

Stumpy, you should NOT need to remove the carbs to remove ANY of the spark-plugs!
As for posting pictures, it is not a matter of having "Permissions".
Anyone that is a registered meber with thread posting permission, automatically has pictures posting permissions.
You must be doing something wrong.
Is it in JPEG format?
Is it small enough? (less than 500kb of memory?)
Are you using a computer, or a phone?
If using a normal computer, and not one of those strange fruit brands, I can walk you through the steps, if you shoot me a PM.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 63ConDan ()
Date: August 15, 2022 06:03PM

with the previous carb work, you could possible have a vacume leak where the carb mounts to the head, this would give you grief with the carb balance.

might be a good idea to Get carb gaskets when you get the oil pan gasket.

Just a thought.

Dan Central MN
1968 Convert

Posted by: stumpy ()
Date: August 16, 2022 07:31AM

Thanks Steve . . I will look into the CORSA site again. To tell you the truth, after seeing the way out of date info on the local clubs I was disinclined to join anything . . I've never been much of a joiner . . and the lack of current club information did not impress. Will definitely revisit this.

Looks like someone has changed my settings? I will now try to upload a couple photos of Ruby Loo Who . . my granddaughters naming!! smiling smiley

And, don't worry about the air filters seen . . will replace the original equipment/air filter housing (+) once I can get her running properly.

Attachments:

Date: August 16, 2022 07:44AM

To 63 ConDan . . ALL of the carb base gasketing was replaced during the carb rebuild process and again as I had the over pressured (not original?) fuel pump issue with fuel having been leaking from between gaskets & carbs!!

The list of new parts & pieces I have added/replaced on this car in the past year would take up an entire page of this post. Almost all interior and exterior rubber was either hard & brittle or worn so badly after its 23 years outside and the next 10 in a So. Cal. garage that I have had to/am replacing every piece as I find them. Thankfully, Clark's and a couple others have been very helpful . . although freight charges have become an issue . . especially for small orders.

Date: August 16, 2022 08:05AM

To American Mel . . . sorry for upsetting you! I was able to load a couple photos this morning, just did not realize how large they were directly from the phone. Also, the format here is interesting, I see one view when posting and another when reading from the site. Since I am quite new here and trying to adjust, I hope you will cut me a little slack, please? I am not the most astute computer whiz either . . I can create a 30 story building in AutoCad but some simple things known to most seem beyond me?

As I reread my earlier post I said it was "easier" to remove the carburetors to get to the spark plugs . . not impossible. Perhaps I don't have all the necessary tools in my box? I do know that missing part of my left index finger limits my actions sometimes . . as does not having double jointed wrists. Since I most likely will be pulling the heads I thought removing carbs was not a big issue.

As for the brand of my laptop, I think Acer has a pretty good reputation?!

Again, so sorry for any offense to you.

Date: August 16, 2022 08:13AM

stumpy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To 63 ConDan issue with fuel having been leaking from between gaskets & carbs!!
>
well if fuel was leaking out, seems reasnable air could leak in and cause a vacume leak and that sort of sounds like how you described the orginal issue of not being able to balance the carbs.

low cost fix and you have the carbs off already. and the gaskets may be available at local Auto part stores.

Dan Central MN
1968 Convert

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: August 16, 2022 08:52AM

Stumpy you state you are not a joiner BUT the club network has always been darn important with Corvair owners because there is not a shop in every town willing to help you. If you could get your car looked at by someone with some experience they might be able to point you to the problem area and maybe have parts there instead of having to pay for one measly gasket to be shipped to you. Many clubs keep a supply of small gaskets etc and even tools to loan to members.

You seem dead set on doing the heads but like myself and several others have stated you need to put some miles on the engine since it has sat idle for so long.

My only piece of advice is get some local help. Find someone with some experience to stand over the engine with you because describing issues on the internet can be difficult to figure out once in a while.

Every weekend in every town in the country there are car gatherings at drive-in restaurants/shopping center parking lots etc. Visit some of them and look for Corvairs hanging around. If you see someone driving any kind of collector car on the street ask where the cruise or car show is being held on weekends.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 16, 2022 10:20AM

I just read all this. #1 listen to the experts. They are here.
#2 GM saying to check compression first is assuming fairly new daily driver cars coming in for a tune up due to a drivability issue. Their advice is correct in that situation. Cars that sit for years before being resurrected are completely different. I bought a 64 about 10 years ago and drove it home about 50 miles. 5 miles in it started smoking like a freight train but by the time I got home no smoke. I've put a ton of miles on it since then and it is fine. I don't recall doing a compression test. I have a '66 with valve guides so shot that it gets carbon buildup around the exhaust valve springs. It still idles and runs fine but the valve train is noisy. Carburetors sync up fine. I haven't checked the compression but it can't be great. You can grab the spring retainers and move the end of the valve 1/4".
Spark plugs clean themselves with heat. You should expect them to be black with just a few miles on them. If you run it 10 miles at 60+ MPH they shouldn't be black.
Wherever you read that a leak down test will damage a warm engine should go on your ignore list.
Slow down and think through all the information and things you have experienced. The unisyn measures flow. That is related to vacuum but is not the same thing. Get the flow synced and if everything is right the vacuum should be synced too. I rarely check the vacuum.
If you like tearing engines down then go for it but that isn't going to fix your problem unless it is just by accident.
If the 100psi cylinder is in good condition and the intake valve is adjusted too tight I can see that might cause sync and idle issues.
I'll stop rambling now.
Welcome!

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 138 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: August 16, 2022 10:22AM

Nice looking 66 (?? with 65 hub caps). I suggest getting Bob Helts' (R I P) book on Corvair Rochester carburetors. Lots and lots of good stuff in there. The Texas Corvair clubs are pretty active with lots of knowledge. Mike Boyle just sent me an email inviting me to "Heritage Days" October 2. Also I had a great time in Nacogdoches last November for the H O T event. And I am in agreement with most replies. With your compression readings and the fact the car has sat for a long time it needs to be driven. These are not modern cars. Cars of this vintage (all cars) need to be fine tuned pretty often even on the side of the road. Most of us have "been there and done it". As I said, nice looking 66.
BTW what is that piece mounted on the left side of the firewall with hoses/wires going to it?

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 16, 2022 10:51AM

Where does the PCV system go? Does it smoke out of that pipe like a freight train?

I do not like aftermarket air cleaners because the PCV system is usually not re-piped correctly. Just sticking a filter on the end of the PCV pipe is not what the engineers had in mind for the PCV to work properly.

And again, Drive It!

To get to #3 and #4 plug I just use the 3/8 drive spark plug socket and a ratchet. Maybe a short 2" or so socket extension. A bent flex handle ratchet is nice but not necessary. Hey, at least if you remove the carburetors to do a compression check you can answer the question "did you open the throttle valves?" correctly!

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: August 16, 2022 11:22AM

Very nice looking car. Good luck.
People here want to all corvairs running and being enjoyed. And please let us know how how you progress.

Thank you.

Dan Central MN
1968 Convert

Date: August 16, 2022 02:45PM

First of all . . OH, IS MY FACE IS RED!!! TYPO!! My car is a 1966. I didn't even notice my mistake until it was pointed out that it has "65 hubcaps!! I didn't like the wire wheel caps that came on it. Well, that just goes to show my newness to the wide, wide world of Corvairs! ARGH!!!

After reading all of your replies, and realizing my limitations on the subject . . I have decided to complete the carburetor & original air cleaner reassembly (as mentioned in an earlier post - the cylindrical air cleaners are temporary) and DRIVE IT!!

I will also be looking into other local owners, Corsa and car shows/club gatherings.

THANKS to ALL for setting me straight and hopefully on the path of enjoyable driving adventures.

Most sincerely,
Dennis in Austin

Date: August 16, 2022 03:13PM

To Timothy Shortle . . the black box on the firewall is the electric fuel pump controller. The car came with a re-manufactured fuel pump that was apparently bad because it blew gas between the carbs & the intake manifold. Turned out that it was pushing 12 - 13 psi instead of the 4 - 5 needed!

AND THANKS for pointing out my original typo . . car IS INDEED a '66!! moody smiley

Here is what she looked like when the car carrier dropped it off . . blue under motor is garage floor color. Still need a new top!

Attachments:

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: August 16, 2022 03:37PM

Stump, I am totally confused.
I, and others here are only trying to help you.
Why in the world would you get the idea that I am offended or upset?
Cut you slack? I WAS TRYING MAN!
I simply asked what system you are using, because a phone has different characteristics from a computer, and a windows computer treats the forum different than a fruity apple does.
Since Acer (typically) uses Windows(unless you are running a Linux derivative?), I would say you have a normal set-up that I would be able to through instruction with.
BUT, since you have decided to run off and grab a handful of attitude, I guess I can see why you don't join clubs. eye rolling smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: August 17, 2022 06:35AM

Stumpy,

Local club sites are not maintained by CORSA, and the CORSA site is not the same as locals, any more than a chat room is Instagram. What you will find at Corvair.org is a site deeper and richer in knowledge resources than anywhere beside perhaps here, and with better graphics. Plus they link to sites beyond themselves. The good ones.

Our club here in North Dakota has a heritage stretching back 50 years, but has only been organized in its current form since January. We could never have found the Old Guard it took to make it work, without the help of CORSA. The site has a directory of members as well as a database of cars. You might even find information about your own car.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: August 17, 2022 07:51AM

stumpy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As I reread my earlier post I said it was "easier" to remove the carburetors to get to the spark plugs . . not impossible. Perhaps I don't have all the necessary tools in my box?

Here's a tool I find really handy for removing difficult spark plugs on several vehicles and certainly on Corvairs. It's rubber lined and magnetic.

Powerbuilt 641853 3/8" Dr. 6 Pt. Magnetic Swivel Spark Plug Socket, 13/16" x 6" L. You can find them all over eBay and Amazon between $15-$25.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Attachments:
Date: August 17, 2022 03:51PM

Thanks azdave . . I will look into that one, looks like a good idea. Can always use another tool in the box. My wife often mentions my (to her) obsession with tools.

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: August 17, 2022 04:33PM

You can also use a swivel with the standard spark plug socket.

Posted by: cfmann ()
Date: August 17, 2022 05:39PM

Hi Stumpy:

Here is a link to look at about this site that might compliment your Corvair spirit (compliments of the Stickies at the top of the threads on the main page here:

[corvaircenter.com]

resizing pics to be able to post in threads, and tons other Corvair tips and tricks from years and walks of life of helpful Corvair folks.

interesting how you described your experience about corvairforum

more interesting is seeing/watching work your engine problem and learning.

is your distributor cap in good condition?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2022 05:42PM by cfmann.

Date: August 20, 2022 05:08PM

Thanks cfmann . . I appreciate your helping a newbie navigate this site. I'm a little slow with some computer things . . always hate it when a young techie says "it's easy, it's intuitive"! Maybe to someone who cut their teeth on today's computers but not for a guy who worked with punch cards and green/white paper in the early 70's and then not touched one until the late '90's! I still don't use my phone for anything but phone, text and navigation. I'm "Dr. Tech-NO" to my buddies!!

The distributor cap is new, replaced early along with points, condenser, plugs and plug wires.

I have spent a great deal of time running down electrical issues and bad connections. Still cannot get the red indicator dash light for charging system to turn off, even after the alternator was rebuilt, wires from alternator to regulator were replaced and tried a new regulator?! And, when reworking the instrument cluster I added a dedicated ground wire in addition to the existing metal band which was de-rusted. Past experience with bad grounding with gas gauges!

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.