Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
FC Windshield removal
Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: August 11, 2022 05:39PM

I did several searches and found nothing. The answer to this would be the same for EM cars I would assume. What is the process for removing the windshield from an FC.
1) I don't care about the current windshield
2) It is a deluxe so I have unobtainium chrome in the seal
3) The rubber is mostly rotten and hard but not crumbling enough to just pick it out of there.

Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Re: FC Windshield removal
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: August 11, 2022 06:11PM

We did this as a High Desert Corsa tech session.

Little long and wordy but chrome trim is included.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 11, 2022 07:38PM

Removing the glass on an early and the FC:

If you do not want the rubber, just cut the rubber from the inside of the vehicle. Use a standard Stanley 99 or such utility knife. Don't cut toward the glass, cut holding the knife parallel to the glass aiming at the edge of the pinchweld. The object is to remove the rubber that is on the inside of the pinchweld. 99.9% of the time the glass is saved this way.

If you want the rubber and might be OK with not saving the glass, soak the rubber with water/dish detergent (Dawn or such) from both sides. Slide the tool (described below) under the rubber on the inside, like middle top. Start getting the rubber to stay on the other side of the pinchweld. This may take several times around the gasket, getting it wet, starting it to peel, getting the tool between the rubber and the pinchweld, etc. Keep going doing a little progress of pushing the rubber to the other side of the pinchweld. Once all the rubber is on the other side of the pinchweld, you can lift the glass assembly out of the vehicle. Then you can remove the rubber from the glass. And finally remove the trim from the rubber.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: August 11, 2022 09:49PM

A couple of those glass suction handle holders will make removal and installation easier also.
As for the High desert YouTube video. Lots of good tips there. However I had not installed a FC deluxe windshield in several years when we made that. I have since had the "pleasure" of installing 3 more since then. eye rolling smiley
Oh how the non deluxe without the stainless trim are so much easier. That's probably why Jay Leno's guys used the standard gasket on his Rampside?!?!?! tongue sticking out smiley

grinning smileygrinning smiley

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: August 12, 2022 10:36AM

Thanks for all the info and the video.

I'll go try it shortly.

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.