Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Rear Grill Removal
Posted by: lalkie01 ()
Date: August 08, 2022 01:17PM

I am in the process of painting my 65 Corsa and want information on how to remove the grill behind the rear window. I found some information on removing it on a coupe but not a convertible. Any ticks I should know? Do I have to remove the rear part of the top?
Any help would be appreciated. Larry

Re: Rear Grill Removal
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: August 08, 2022 01:48PM

Open engine lid and remove screws that you see just forward of lid seal. Gently lift up aft edgeof air intake graill and disengage from window trim area. Gently remove from car by going forward,

Best to have someone helping to keep from scraping paint.

Posted by: lalkie01 ()
Date: August 09, 2022 06:34PM

Thanks for the response. Is it the same for a convertible as a Coupe?
sounds easy. I guess I will find out. Thanks Larry

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 09, 2022 09:21PM

Lates with steel roofs have the rear grille mounted under the rear glass (backlight is the real name, not rear windshield grinning smiley) so unless you can get at the screws with tricks, the backlight has to come out first.

Convertibles easy, just take the snap rails off (trim around the rear of the convertible top where the boot snaps on).

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: August 10, 2022 06:08AM

When they designed the steel roofed cars, I'd bet that they intended that the rear air intake grill be removable without pulling the backlite, but that went out the window (no pun intended) during the actual full-bore assembly process. As is typical, what the engineers design is not necessarily what the shop floor builds.

-Mark

Date: August 10, 2022 11:09AM

I missed a step.

Remove the lower trim on the rear window (or what ever you want to call that piece of glass you look through at the very rear of the car).

Remove the scres holding grill to body on leading edge of panel.

NO rear window removal.

See this link for more info.

[corvaircenter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2022 11:09AM by Lane66m.

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: August 10, 2022 11:16AM

Lane66m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> NO rear window removal.

Depends:

on how the rear glass was originally installed... And, how it was reinstalled; if removed when work was done on the vehicle.

Sometimes the screws can be covered / partially covered.

Date: August 10, 2022 11:45AM

The 2 I took off my cars had exposed screws, once the trim was off and dirt cleaned away.

Now the other 6 scrapped ones were broken windows and rust, so those were easy removals.

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: August 10, 2022 12:32PM

Lane66m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 2 I took off my cars had exposed screws, once the trim was off and dirt cleaned away.
>
> Now the other 6 scrapped ones were broken windows and rust, so those were easy removals.

At the opposite end of the spectrum is the people who fill the trough with sealer and push the trim on...

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 10, 2022 07:34PM

Here in the rusty east most every backlight has been resesaled over the years. I never got any screws out unless I removed the backlight first. Lucky being tempered they do come out in one piece and go back in with some butyl tape or the urethane method.

In many cases the grille is under the butyl strip, even if the screws would come out.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2022 07:36PM by Frank DuVal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.