Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Telescoping steering column
Posted by: aj_ed ()
Date: August 07, 2022 12:06PM

While changing my steering wheel(for the bigger Chevelle repop), I noticed the spring #19 3863915 for the horn button was weak. Looking up this part, the Corvette spring with this # is a coil type,while mine is a spring steel leaf spring type.Was this an upgrade, or is the Corvair spring still available?

Thanks, Ed
1965 Corsa

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Telescoping steering column
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: August 12, 2022 08:25PM

In my opinion, the Corvette and the Corvair were absolutely the same parts. Chevy changed the design in mid/late 65, moving away from the steel spring to help isolate the button mount, and added a plastic "molding" to perform the same task, keeping the horn button from grounding in a bumpy situation, beeping the horn. The replacement piece is available it is made by "Trim Parts, Inc" in Lebanon, OH. Their Part number is 5060, and is available from many places, including Summitracing. The old spring pre-loaded the button mount to keep it from grounding, the replacement part snapped down inside to keep the mount from touching anything when it bounced.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site: [www.perfvair.com]

Located in lovely San Jose, California

Re: Telescoping steering column
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: August 13, 2022 04:09AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.