Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Why is this toy Corvair so Valuable? Sold $780
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: August 08, 2022 03:50AM

Eric,

I don't have clear pictures of these three models, just blowups cropped off of shots of the entire collection. But here they are:

Premere Rampside - The very first model I ever got, at age 11 back in 1961. Valued as "RARE" in the value guide.

Astro I - have had several of these. One I sacrificed for the automatic trans in order to make the master for a resin kit conversion parts for the AMT kit. Webber carbs went to a custom car owner for a replica of his car that I built for him.

Monza GT - Only one of 4 in the country that I know of. Met a guy at a convention who was showing them off after returning from a trip to Japan, where he had bought 4 of them and brought them home. I was lucky enough to have bought one of them. It was never offered in the US, so I kept the box with writing in Japanese.

-Mark

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zarfnober ()
Date: August 08, 2022 06:57AM

I had a snap together model that a family friend bought for me at Woolworths sometime in the later 60’s, it was either a GT or the Astro, it’s been a while so I’m not sure. My dad was a Chevy/Olds dealer 58-81, and we saved about 20 or so dealer models of late models in the original boxes, I think Joe Darinsig bought them. And back in 78 I bought a tin van with the friction motor, I think it was a school bus, the windshield wipers went on when you pushed it forward, it was lost somewhere, wish I still had it.

Good to see these toys bringing big bucks, unless I want to buy one????

Rocco

Date: August 08, 2022 05:04PM

That's why I'm into the models, I don't have Bill Harrah's bankroll.

-Mark

Posted by: Brucem ()
Date: August 08, 2022 05:10PM

Made in the "British Colony of Hong Kong" - wow those were the days...........
Also made "expressly" for one store outlet in PA. Interesting

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: August 08, 2022 07:22PM

It used to be that the Amway shampoo Greenbrier /bank were the high sellers - especially the green ones, in the original box, with original soap and stickers.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 15, 2022 12:39PM

I've got the world's largest Corvair toy.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 138 Corvairs and counting...

Attachments:
Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: August 18, 2022 08:17PM

Here is one for You Guys! I already have 2 but in the box is pretty rare! {not mine}
[www.ebay.com]

Date: August 19, 2022 05:15AM

Odd thing about model collecting is that the high-buck prices for vintage kits is for "unbroken" kits that are as-new in the box. A built model is usually only worth about $5. Why, you might ask? Well, as I figure it, most built models are constructed by rank amateurs, and are of low build standards. Models that are professionally built models, or ones that are to those standards, often retain much of their value.

I personally don't see the point of having a model lying in a box. I buy models with the intent of having a representation of that particular car. Often I build them in what I call, body-in-white, in other words, using little if any paint. It's only as I've gotten older and more experienced that I'm able to paint to professional standards. It's truly an acquired talent.

-Mark

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: August 19, 2022 04:46PM

solo2r Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is one for You Guys! I already have 2 but in the box is pretty rare! {not mine}

screen grab, for future reference

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Attachments:
Date: August 21, 2022 01:55PM

Timothy Shortle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good picture Dave. I never knew Corvairs were also "made in hong kong".
> My education is on going.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well more on going education... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Most know Corvair's were made in Canada, but did we know they were made under the "GMC trademark" !! eye popping smiley

And pictures, to show it happend... lol

Jeff K
64 Fitch Sprint convt
65 Fitch Sprint coupe
64 Greenbrier deluxe
Rupp Chevy Jr
Large Corvair Toy collection
70 Camaro SS 396

Just North of Jacksonville, FL.

Attachments:

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: August 21, 2022 07:52PM

I'm an exclusive late model fan, but have seen few "tin toy" late models. I believe I have the plastic and die cast models I want (or could afford), would someone have time to post pictures and prices of rare late model models?

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa coupe basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Posted by: detroitdude ()
Date: August 21, 2022 09:40PM

I too haven't seen too many
late model tin corvair toys
besides this one. I believe
they made this toy in blue as
pictured also red and white.
Red, white, and blue.
I seen them on "Ebay" now and
then usually selling for about
$50.00.

Dan Dood
69 Monza Convertible
66 500 Coupe
61 Monza 4 door

Detroit, Michigan

Attachments:

Date: August 22, 2022 11:06AM

The odd thing about the "GMC" designation is that it can stand for either the "brand" GMC or the corporation "General Motors Corporation". I bet the script writer was thinking along the lines of the latter and didn't think of the brand.

As for value guides, look for "The Directory" by Bob Shelton and Bill Coulter for 1/24 and 1/25th scale plastic models, and the "Price Guide for Plastic Promotional Cars & Trucks" by Bob Shelton and Dale Horner. There are also value guides for Hot Wheels, Corgi, Matchbox, and other scale model car lines as well. (I'm mostly into just the 1/24 and 1/25 kit and promo models, so I have the first two guides. Am only incidentally into other scales so cannot cite other guides.)

-Mark

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.