Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Corvair Rampside Purchase and Undisclosed Rust
Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: August 02, 2022 10:08AM

The Bondo-ed over foil tape (reveling rust underneath) is obviously a poor repair. However, it looks like it was done many years ago and may have been (in the eyes of the owner/repair person - likely one and the same) to their acceptance. This Rampside has probably changed hands numerous times since those alterations were made and fault may be hard to place.

Many times I'll see ads that state "No Rust" and the WHOLE CAR is displaying at least surface rust. Apparently what they are saying it there is 'no rust thru.' And often when a seller admits to rust it is the hole where rust WAS. As such the absence of rust (meaning the hole) is called "rust" when in fact it is significantly absent. Thus the term "rust" can be very ambiguous. If "I love you" is the lie most often told to woman then "There is no rust" must be the lie most often told to men. Sometimes a seller is naïve about the vehicle they are selling. But, if this was a dealer and you had express a concern about rust it seems there should have been a greater investigation and disclosure on their part.

You have my sympathies. I typically acquire "beater" cars feeling that my expectations are so low what more can be wrong - but often there is. I would at least investigate some sort of recourse with the seller to add to your lists of options. From there you can decide (if possible) to return the vehicle, invest in the repairs to make it the Rampside you thought you were buying or make the mental adjustment to accept it as it is and move forward. Other than some recourse through the dealer (which in the best case still has a time limit) perhaps siting on it for a period of time will allow you to make a less emotionally reactive decision.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***'61 Lakewood, a "Freebie" in hibernation for 27 years - In the process of applying CPR.***

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: August 02, 2022 10:17AM

mhughes30 - where are you located?

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: mhughes30 ()
Date: August 02, 2022 10:23AM

@isucorvair

I am located in Dothan, AL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2022 10:24AM by mhughes30.

Posted by: SpyderMan ()
Date: August 02, 2022 02:36PM

Is it a three speed? Do FC three speeds have full syncros? Does it shift smoothly if you double clutch as you down shift?

Sam Russell
Durham NC
1962 Monza Wagon Ted Brown EFI Gen II
1964 Spyder coupe

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: August 02, 2022 04:08PM

FC 3 speeds have full syncros in second and third gears but not in first.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 02, 2022 06:29PM

FC 3 speeds have full synchros in second and third gears but not in first.

Right. Chevrolet went to synchronized first gear in 1966 across most models, but FCs stopped in 1965, so they never got the first gear synchros system. All Corvair 4 speeds were synchro all four gears.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: August 02, 2022 06:40PM

It is a 4-speed.

Posted by: detroitdude ()
Date: August 02, 2022 07:11PM

Since your asking for opinions I
will give you my opinion. Bite
the bullet and sell this one.
I'm sure it's difficult to lose your
shirt but try to recover some of
your money back. Just my opinion,
I believe you'll be better off selling
the truck.
I'm truly sorry buy its probably the
best to sell it then look for a better
one that you can truly love. Again you're
going to lose money on this one.
Good luck whatever decision you choose.

Dan Dood
69 Monza Convertible
66 500 Coupe
66 Monza 4 speed
61 Monza 4 door

Detroit, Michigan

Posted by: FLSteve ()
Date: August 02, 2022 07:38PM

Do we know if this was more or less than 10K?

Date: August 03, 2022 05:36AM

Given the rust pictures I've shown (assuming it is structurally sound), and knowing that the truck runs very well, and everything works, except for some shifting difficulties:

What do you think is a fair price for it if I sell it?

Also, I plan to fix the shifting difficulties, since I think/hope it is just a shifter linkage adjustment. I will seek help on fixing this on the forum in another thread or research it further at least.

The truck has the original 80 hp engine, an electric fuel pump, and a 4-speed gearbox.

The truck does start and drive very well and accelerate very well too, and the torque it has is readily felt. The surprise rust is its issue.

Posted by: roger65180 ()
Date: August 03, 2022 06:30AM

I would get it on a hoist and inspect the main frame ( I know it's unibody ) but the FC's have frame rails they just arent removeable . as others have said it will be fun to drive as is , if the shift rod goes under the tank ( 61 62 and some 63 the bracket at the bottom of front cross member is usually worn easy to remove I over bore it and install a bronze bushing and also the factory spring placement is wrong and tends to pull it out of gear this is also easy to fix , my 62 shifts like a new truck with just those 2 repairs. this will not fix worn transmission

Roger R
Madison Wi
62 ct pg turbo
65intercooled 180 4sp,autocrosser
62 Rampy

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 03, 2022 06:33AM

Roger, what do you change with the spring? Pictures?

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 138 Corvairs and counting...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2022 06:33AM by joelsplace.

Posted by: PequotMonza64 ()
Date: August 03, 2022 09:03AM

Mhughes30,

Just curious. Can you tell us generally what part of the country this Corvair came from? Just for my knowledge base...

I moved to the Cleveland, Ohio area a year or so ago from the Philadelphia area. The amount of rust on cars in northern Ohio is just incredible. Even late model cars and pickups that would never rust near Philly are COMPLETELY rotted out. You even see pickups on the road that obviously have "broken backs" where the frame is failing in a major way.

Having said that, my 64 Monza spent its life in southern Ohio and central Minnesota and is virtually rust-free (98% maybe). I have had a couple of cars from the 60's like this one, and I can tell you that it's always a good sign if the car had been owned by an aircraft pilot.

Glen in Ohio
1964 Monza Sedan Powerglide 110 hp
Low mileage survivor, stock as delivered
Records back to 1967 in Pequot Lakes, Minnesota
Original dealer Mike Turk's in East Liverpool, Ohio
Located in Cleveland, Ohio area

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: August 03, 2022 09:56AM

Glen,
Have you lived there long enough to experience "lake effect snow"? Once you have, you'll have a better understanding of road salt (chemicals), and hence, the rust. Good luck!

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa coupe basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Posted by: PequotMonza64 ()
Date: August 03, 2022 12:17PM

Scotty,

I'm about 30 minutes WEST of Cleveland, and have had a couple of good snow storms, but the Lake Effect Snow seems to all be in Cleveland and east of there, the worst being in the Buffalo, NY area. This is born out on the weather maps whenever there is snow.

However, if you do some googling, you'll find that running out UNDER lake Erie from Cleveland are huge salt mines. So, just plain unadulterated salt is cheap and plentiful. What amazes me is that the owners of the cars don't undercoat them or take any action when they start to see signs of rust. They just accept that it's inevitable that the car will rot away.

There's also ZERO mechanical inspection in Ohio and only emissions inspection in two or three Ohio counties.

Glen in Ohio
1964 Monza Sedan Powerglide 110 hp
Low mileage survivor, stock as delivered
Records back to 1967 in Pequot Lakes, Minnesota
Original dealer Mike Turk's in East Liverpool, Ohio
Located in Cleveland, Ohio area

Date: August 03, 2022 12:30PM

PequotMonza64,

This came from the midwest, but far from the Great Lakes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2022 12:31PM by mhughes30.

Date: August 04, 2022 10:27AM

mhughes30 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Given the rust pictures I've shown (assuming it is structurally sound), and knowing that the truck runs very well, and everything works, except for some shifting difficulties:
>
> What do you think is a fair price for it if I sell it?
>
>
> Also, I plan to fix the shifting difficulties, since I think/hope it is just a shifter linkage adjustment. I will seek help on fixing this on the forum in another thread or research it further at least.
>
> The truck has the original 80 hp engine, an electric fuel pump, and a 4-speed gearbox.
>
> The truck does start and drive very well and accelerate very well too, and the torque it has is readily felt. The surprise rust is its issue.

I would say that a fair price would be $4500-$6000 in today's market.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: August 04, 2022 01:57PM

Today most shops charge about $100 per hour to do rust repair, and it can quickly add up to multiple thousands of dollars. A friend had the same thing happen to him buying what was advertised as a rust-free car, and there are no floors in it when you lift up the floor covering, but it does have some nifty road signs covering the hole. The estimate to repair the floor is between $8000-$10000!
I once bought a "rust-free" Corvair, and I asked a Corvair person to look at it for me, and see if it was "rust-free". The person told me that they knew the seller and that it was a solid car. It had so much rust in it, that it wasn't even safe to drive, and I eventually sold it for a few hundred dollars to someone that was a dreamer and thought that they could save it. A few years later it was found in a junkyard continuing its rust journey. I licked my wounds and vowed never to trust anyone else who says that they know the owner. It is better to pay an independent appraiser to look at a car because you will only be out of the cost of the appraisal and not the loss of value and transportation. What you will do is your choice, but whoever buys it will not bail you out of the mistake. You might be better off parting it out to get some of your money back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: August 04, 2022 02:51PM

I find it kind of funny that everyone keeps talking about his loses, and getting his money back, and yet we still don't know (unless I overlooked it?) how much he paid for the thing.
He may not have gotten a rust-free vehicle, but he also may not have gotten a bad deal on what he received, either.
Definitely not a Concours truck, but looks like a decent driver quality work truck, that will get attention where ever it goes!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: August 04, 2022 03:36PM

American Mel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I find it kind of funny that everyone keeps talking about his loses, and getting his money back, and yet we still don't know (unless I overlooked it?) how much he paid for the thing.
> He may not have gotten a rust-free vehicle, but he also may not have gotten a bad deal on what he received, either.
> Definitely not a Concours truck, but looks like a decent driver quality work truck, that will get attention where ever it goes!

Agree!!

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.